EC
Years ago

Purely Cosmetic - scruffy NBL players

I have noticed over the last few years at how untidy some players look on court through failure to shave. I know it has nothing to do with their performance but being in the public eye, looks quite sloppy. I was reminded of this when watching the Brisbane/Melbourne game this morning on Fox. Sam Mackinnon looked like he hadn't shaved for 2 days. It was not a good look for television and showed a lack of pride in his appearance. He is not the only one, there are so many that just don't take their grooming seriously. A well maintained beard can look quite good, but this is not the beginning of a beard, its just a lack of grooming. What do people think of this? Is it something that does not matter or should players make more of an effort in their presentation?

Topic #9269 | Report this topic

shaun  
Years ago

are you joking?...

Reply #104780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who gives a shit

Reply #104781 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

It is "Movember" EC....

Reply #104782 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

It takes a lot of time to make it look like you don't care.

Reply #104785 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Scruffy is in, EC.

Reply #104804 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

It doesnt matter.

I often go a week without shaving.. and that will include important meetings etc. If anyone is going to judge me on my choice to keep facial hair or go scruffy for however long I want then they can go copulate with themselves - and I dont want their business anyway. The way I choose to dress and look is no ones business but my own.

If I was a pro ball player I would keep 3 day growth just to piss people like you off.

Reply #104811 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Reply #104825 | Report this post

or sometimes, in the eye of the beer holder...

Reply #104827 | Report this post

Harvard 1500  
Years ago

Now kwest be fair. Isnt it obvious that your friend and mine, EC, is a fashion editor for Vogue and is almost certainly doing an expose on the finer points of male grooming in the NBL. Who are we to ridicule the opinions of one individuals view regarding the effects of personal appearance on a basketball court? Im sure that there are countless players world wide just waiting for EC to 'make them over'. Good for you EC. . . No, thats it I cant keep up this diatribe of linguistic nonsence any longer. EC youre a twat, watch the game, enjoy the game and for the sake of everyone else just shut up! Please.

Thankyou and goodnite.

Reply #104830 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Perhaps some more publicity on the NBL or clubs behalf about Mo'vember is in order.

Was good to see the Hawks go Pink, if only the League adopted an approach to such causes.

Reply #104837 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sam Mackinnon's hair just grows faster than he can swing a razor. As for others in that game (Black and Hill?), it looked like they were getting into Movember and raising funds for men's health/having an excuse to explain a silly moustache for a few weeks.

Reply #104838 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Yeah, the other day I saw one of the players dressed in a crappy set of tracksuit pants. It was disgusting. No wait, that was the Razorbacks uniform!!!!!

Reply #104843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Mackinnon does not take two days to look like that. Try 2 hours

He was looking like that at U14 Nationals

Reply #104861 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

From a players perspective EC, and most male players will agree with this. If you shave on game day when you start sweating during the game it actually tends to sting quite a bit. I for one never shave on game day and depending on what part of my "shaving cycle" i'm in could be at least 3 days in from my last shave.
Now not all players and sports people are the same but I would say the majority wouldn't shave due to this fact...or they just don't give a shit!

Reply #104866 | Report this post

Profesor  
Years ago

EC your a clown

Reply #104868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I noticed it as well EC and i think its a valid point. I thought Mackinnon, Hill and Black didnt look very nice on court and looked very daggy. I dont think its very important because they are here to play basketball but i think image is important to a lot of girls etc. It is their job and i think they should look respectable.

Reply #104872 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

It was previously pointed out that a couple of the Brisbane players are growing Mo's for 'Mo'vember, something that Sam McKinnon did last year as well. Great to see the guys get behind an important cause for men. By players like Sam and Blacky growing Mo's it really does bring awareness at a higher level.

Reply #104874 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And you are to be commended for bringing awareness to your lower level. Har har.

Reply #104876 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Movember aside.. who really gives a twinkie?

ShaneD

Reply #104884 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

shaneD are you a hip hop MC? It seems you have to constantly remind us of who you are

Reply #104892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC I agree with your initial post.. the mojority of them look rather untidy and feral HOWEVER.. who cares.. They don't get paid for their looks, they get paid because they can play the game of basketball. If looks were the case.. then most sportsmen would never make TV.. take the likes of our Aussie cricket team.. and some of our afl boys! And besides.. it was fox sport's choice to pick him to do the interview.. obviously they don't think his appearance would affect view numbers. EC.. start watching the Fashion Channel, not fox!

Reply #104893 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I am flattered that my post attracted so much attention but I can't get over how many jerks post on this website. Why people can't just give an opinion without rubbishing other people's and being downright rude about it is beyond me. Am I to assume that this is not the site for sensible conversation? There is absolutely nothing wrong with suggesting that more of an effort could be made to tidy up one's appearance. Particularly when a TV camera is right there in your face. If anyone disagrees with this statement, then it is your privilege to do that but hold off the insults. It only back fires to show the idiots that you really are.

Reply #104953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont go callin us idiots when your the one making down right, ridiculous comments like that

Reply #104956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC, straight out your a fag, who cares what they look like as long as they can play ball.. sammy mack may not be the best lookin guy but he sure can play... get over it

Reply #104959 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC is female and even if you think her suggestion is way off, at least show the decency to respond politely. If Panther can play fair, anyone can...

104959, calling someone a "fag" is about the most pathetic retort. You're blocked. Please don't come back.

Reply #104982 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

EC - do you shave your legs every day? Or any other part of your anatomy you may care to shave?

No?? So why should ne have to "scrape their face" every day just to keep you happy????

Personally, I shave every 2 days because I have fast growth...weekends I tend to leave it if I can...I tend to shave if I'm rostered to work a WNBL or NBL game, only to present a "neatish" appearance (well as neat as I can)....

Personally, I dont liek the "scruffy" look...but please consider it is Movember, and it takes something like this to raise the plight of mens health (prostate cancer is now a bigger killer than breats cancer, yet it gets nowhere near the research or medical funding!)

Reply #105011 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

You did sort of ask for it EC.. Im not sure why youre surprised when a bunch of 'scruffy' guys get their back up.

I understand your original post was just your opinion, but I am sure women wouldnt like it if I came on saying that players in the WNBL should wear tops that show cleavage!

Youre obviously someone who judges someome by their looks. All power to ya. I personally have lots of scruffy friends with half beards and dreadlocks. It doesnt make them less successful or mean they have no self respect. On most occasions they're the ones who have the right idea about life.

Reply #105025 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Yogee forget this thread started in November, the very first line of this thread starts with "I have noticed over the last few years....". I thoroughly agree that supporting awareness of men's health is of the utmost importance but this is not just about the month of November. And to answer your question about shaving, yes I do shave/wax regularly.

Reply #105026 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Please refer to my post (#104866)...

Reply #105071 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

I think in conclusion to your initial post EC, it is obviously something that does not matter to the majority ;-)

ShaneD
(hip hop MC? ... "yo")

Reply #105088 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

Yup. Good stuff this!! Why stop at facial Hair? Body hair, shape, skin taint, its all good.
I'm off to get me some pig juice injected into me. Might get me some Cosmic surgery while I'm at it. If I look good at the end of it will they let me play?
Na Doubt it, I'm a Gymp. But if I was a horses ass and i could tripple double in the top league then the papers and cameras would be focussed. If had the same effect on the crowd as Willie Farley in the 3rd on Saturday, everyone would turn up and most would love me.

Reply #105095 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

No need for anyone to take such drastic measures. Grooming is simple and goes a long way to enhance someone's appearance. That is the only thing I ever questioned. Shane D, I asked for opinions and respect the fact that not everyone agrees with me, however I do question people's lack of manners in the way they reply.

Reply #105129 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Some things will naturally get peoples back up more than other things.

Deal with it.

I wouldnt think it would be appropriate to have a racist rant then say 'its just my opinion, and I question black people's lack of manners in the way they respond to it.'

This is on a different level obviously, but the concept remains the same.

Reply #105130 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754