Anonymous
Years ago

Refs at Morph' vale

Where has the last Samari gone ?

What happenend to the big hot headed guy who loves tossing everyone out.

Did he get tossed out himself

Get him back.

Bill, What is the go ?

Get him back and get some quality refs on the base line.

Topic #9289 | Report this topic

Nick  
Years ago

Morphett Vale's never seen a quality ref!

Reply #105084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some refs are gone? Great!

Every time my one of my kids has played at M/vale in the last 3 seasons, they have fouled out, with out exception.

We feel the situation is so bad that I will bring it to the attention of the UIC before we play there again.

Reply #105092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh great another ref bash.

These are always so constructive and benifical. Can't leave my comptuer now.

Reply #105096 | Report this post

Anon, I would hardly call it a bash!
I am not a fan of criticising the officials however saying that they are going to bring it to the attention of the UIC is not exactly bashing anyone.

There is a dedicated part time ref person at morphetvale

Reply #105100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the problem with you people? Go to any stadium and there will be good and bad refs- lots of ones who are learning so give them a go. The constant sniping at refs by ill-informed parents and coaches who should know better have made it really hard to keep refs. These mainly young kids have to take so much abuse and thats why so many leave and its hard to get any replacements. Dont single out one stadium either, its a problem all over. Instead of having a go at them maybe get a whistle and do it yourself and see if you like the abuse.

Reply #105103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, whenever I go to somewhere like Mars or Hillcrest or visit the superbly fit men? at PtAdelaide, our team seems to be on the end of crap calls. But its because we are biased towards our own team that we think that happens all the time, believe me refs are not directed to pay fouls against the visitors so to say they are cheating really is unfair. Also if you ask some Southern teams they will argue that their home stadium refs are harder on them anyway!

Reply #105104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If all your kids are getting fouled out maybe its not the refs you should be looking at.

Reply #105107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which ref are we talking about anyway ?

Who is the last samari?

what is the deal who is the hot head I am lost here

Reply #105108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reffs here are ones that call home court calls more than any stadium. Even coaches can call the reffs over to give them instructions how to call the game. Some players like PB have got used to playing in a was as to get the calls his way. Funny it does not work interstate.

Reply #105110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that a division 1 parent complaining about quality of refs? I coach division 4, and have had a few games cancelled now because there is no refs available, or had to have the opposition coach ref.

Think about others, before you abuse young refs making them quit.

Reply #105121 | Report this post

intheknow  
Years ago

Morphett Vale ... Bill (head ref with little man complex)discriminates agaist people in wheelchairs, and trains the refs to do the same under the lame "safety" excuse.
No point complaining the the guy with the short man syndrom has a hitler complex the refs r untouchable. So no point complaining we just expect it when our son plays there now.
Interest that Morphett vale is the only stadium that discrimates against wheelies.
No point the little man with the complex trying to pull the BS saftey card as everyone can see exactly what it is. Discrimination.

Reply #105128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how does he discriminate?

Reply #105131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well apparently the Junior Presidents son gets to ref all of the Div 1 games!

Ha ha ha

Reply #105157 | Report this post

LAST SAMURAI  
Years ago

I thank you for wanting me back. Unfortunately I have been working some later and longer hours, therefor keeping me off the court. However I must point out that I do not enjoy tossing people out nor have I been tossed out. Many people would not agree that I am a hot head, but some do. If you cry like a baby I will tell you to dry your eyes. If you carry on like a goose I will tell you. And if you are an idiot and carry on like one, chances are you will get me off side and I will tell you where to go. If you don't like it then don't play or coach. I will take your comments, especially the one about getting me back as a great compliment. Many Thanks.

P.S. Wheel chairs on the court of a game are a great safety risk. If you would like a 100+Kg man run into your chair then get in front of me. I dare you.

Reply #105168 | Report this post

Bully  
Years ago

I love these threads as i am a ref at Morphett Vale.
Bill doesnt discriminate against wheel chairs, he has a worry for both players and refs running into the chair because the person in it OCCASIONALLY rolls onto the court which makes it unsafe.
Hometown refs favouring tigers, i dont think so.
If you saw the 16 girls div 1 game last week then you will take back those comments.
Tigers coaches especially need to learn to keep their mouths shut when it comes to a green shirt ref, if i am reffing with a green shirt referee i will always go up to both coaches before the game and explain to them that i dont mind them asking the newer refs a question as long as it is done in a nice friendly manner otherwise if they wanna shout or some other thing then they can wait till a timeout and ask me

Reply #105170 | Report this post

LAST SAMURAI  
Years ago

Didn't realise you had so many brains bully. i agree with all you say.
As to hometown refs, I have had coaches and players accuse me of being a cheat and bias. To all of those people, pull your head in. I have never had any association with any club. I naver had cared and I don't think I ever will care who wins or loses. You are an idiot if you think I do. Read my last if you want to know what I think about them.
Go the green shirts. Bill, Bully, Myself and many other refs will do the same for a green shirt.

Reply #105173 | Report this post

Bully  
Years ago

Hey last Samurai if u dont mind saying, who are you?

I do have brains if i wanna use them, lol

Reply #105175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re Anon 105157 you have no idea do you , just sh*t stirring again. Havent noticed the mentioned child doing ANY games on a Friday nite- check the rosters which are done by Neil P. If you cant be constructive and get that HUGE chip off your shoulder please shut up.

Now Bully having brains??? Not sure about that one hahaha. Also maybe if kids are being fouled out they should learn how to play D.

Reply #105188 | Report this post

Coach123  
Years ago

I dont thinkthat Bill is like that On a number of occassions he has asked that games be moved so that a wheelchair can get in next to the bench on court 3 sure he has his opinion BUT if you bag the refs take what you get If you are so small as to sit there and critisise DONT GO and watch or get up and pull on a shirt and wistle and help out.

Reply #105189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hari kari is the only answer for the last samurai...ur a shocker

Reply #105192 | Report this post

Yay  
Years ago

I got a solution its called 1800 WAAAAAH! . If ya don't like the reffing call this number itr's perfect for all the referee bashers and pathological cry babies out there.

Reply #105193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why should we have seen the 16 game. did the coaches abuse a green shirt guy. its cruel leave them alone they are just learning

Reply #105194 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

Time for all(ref, coach, player, spectator) to familiarise with Sports Code of Conduct. Act accordingly. Is there a public copy
at Morph?

Reply #105196 | Report this post

(#105092)  
Years ago

Further to my last post Re: kid getting fouled out every time we go to m/vale.

If it was a bunch of different refs and the kid was still fouling out then agreed (#105107)its probably the kid. When you have one ref that has done every one of these matches (god knows why) then you have to ask yourself is it the kid or the ref.

Last winter season this kid was fouled out even though only "FOUR" fouls were called on him. We tried to tell this guy that the kid could not have fouled out because he only had 4 called, but some how a 5th foul had been added (work that one out).

Last summer season the kid was sitting on the bench and this same ref called a foul and indicated the benched players number. Seems that this ref has the kid on his mind when ever we play down there.

Hey, all refs are human, which also means all refs can hold a grudge or dislike a kid, just because they may have some attribute that they dont posess, like hieght or talent.

My son does not have a smart mouth and is a ref at another stadium, so knows what refs have to put up with.

I will approach the UIC next time we are there and tell them the history, only if this same ump is reffing us again, thats why Im hoping he has moved on.

I dont understand what this refs problem is. We dont know him & have never met him. Yeah sure we have made comments during the last 2 matches to him that probably have not helped the situation.

There is only EVER two people that are getting paid on the court in junior matches (or in the case of m/vale normally 1)and that is the Refs. Get paid, do your job. If you dont like what you are being paid, move on!

Reply #105199 | Report this post

LAST SAMURAI  
Years ago

#105092. Quoting part of what you said, 'ALL REFS ARE HUMAN...' which means they can and will make mistakes. I make them from time to time. If i can correct it I will.

Your kid MAY not have a smart mouth near you for fear of punishment but there are alot of things said on court that parents do not hear. However I am not not saying he/she does have a smart mouth on the court or deserves to have a grudge against them. I know I don't keep a grudge against any player.

I would like to let you know that if you have a problem with me, talk to me about it, in a reasonable manner. If you don't then you get nothing out of me. Most refs are the same.

Reply #105203 | Report this post

intheknow  
Years ago

Intersting since the last samurai has not been there the performance of the refs have improved, coaches now have senior refs they have respect for even if it does mean 1 ref per court... that is a lot better than having the last samurai on court.

and what dribble, he picks on both players and coachs. after 2 min of the game you know which players he will foul out of the game and which coach is going to be ejected.

Oh yes mates with the little man with complex.... saftey BS card again....... discrimination is not a word, it is an action...

through your actions your words are put here with a fork tongue.

dont go back... basketball will benefit.

Reply #105207 | Report this post

(#105092)  
Years ago

Last samuria; My kid has never even questioned an umpire, he is 13 y.o. It is not in his make up, belive it or not I do know my kid. If he was back chatting umpires I would have been aware of it long ago.Most kids in juniors do not backchat, the kids that do are the exeption and normally the whole teams parents are aware of it.

You need to accept that some umps hold grudges or take a dislike to a kid; it may be as simple as the state of the kids hair or the freckles on his face,(or their fat ugly parent cheering form the side lines, me by the way) but it does happen.

If you are the UIC at M/vale, we will talk soon.

Reply #105211 | Report this post

OH OKAY  
Years ago

Reply #105215 | Report this post

OH OKAY  
Years ago

I think that INTHEKNOW needs to take a step back and reassess the need to be so nasty and accept their limitations for what they are and see that the world is not against them.

Being nasty doesn't make you a better person in fact it makes you ugly and a really poor excuse for a human being

Try to see hte world with out the HUGE chip you have on your shoulder if need be let Bill and the Last Samuri help you release the burden of it, thankfully they are both better people and can rise above your toxic dribble and will continue to encourage those who can appreciate that they have a job to do and DO IT WELL

GET OVER YOURSELF are you the only single person to face any type of discrimination ? I DO NOT THINK SO

Reply #105216 | Report this post

LAST SAMURAI  
Years ago

FYI intheknow. If you are saying that I discriminate against those in wheel chairs then you are a sad excuse for a disabled person. I have played sport under a coach in a wheelchair (and his daughter now referees aswell) and he is also a good friend of Bill's. My ex-wifes daughter is in a wheel chair with cerebral palsy and I cared for and loved her as if she was my own. At my work I meet and serve customers with disabilities the same way as I would anyone else. Get over yourself and stop using your wheel chair as some lame excuse.

Reply #105219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the day no one is ever going to agree with every call a referee makes. The better the ref the more people might agree with. But in the heat of the moment the majority of spectators, players and coaches will only accept/agree with call that go in their favour.

Another point in juniors is that most referees stay at one venue week in week out. Home teams would get these referees more often and be able to adjust to the way these referees call a game. Also UIC's have differing ideas as to the way some grey rules should be inforced (especially when it comes to junior basketball) and again the home team would have more experience in dealing with the varying interpretations.

Until the rules of the game are black and white (which will never happen) there is always going to be conjecture and differing opinions on how a game should be called.

The better referees not only have a better understanding of the rules but also a better understanding of how they should be applied to each varying standard of competition.

(#105092), maybe this player reaches in a lot. Some refs might let this type of contact go as insignificant; other referees may feel the contact isn't insignificant and therefore make a call. It's a pretty simple case of differing interpretations. Maybe this referee is more confident in their ability then the majority and therefore more willing to make more calls in general. Again it's not personal bias against your child but rather to do with an individuals experience and self confidence.

To claim a referee is holding a grudge is easy but while it might in fact happen it definately wouldn't happen anywhere near as much as parents, players and coaches claim.

Everyone is frustrated by refereeing. Unfortunately there are very few good, experienced and talented referees currently involved in the junior competitions.

Complaining about referees, or coaching or team mates etc on this forum will acheive nothing at all and may in fact help convince one of the few good ones to stop giving their time and in the end make the standards even lower.

Reply #105222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs at Morphett Vale are the worst I have ever encountered (I have 5 children playing district basketball, for the last 10 years) and have never came across the likes of the refs there. If Tigers are losing they make the most ridiculous calls, I have even seen a u14 div 1 girl throw a punch at another player and the refs fouled the opposition team. We only see / experience this type of refs at MV. PS the parents are quite feral also!

Reply #105223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow ..have u guys played at Souths??? There's a female ref there that gives you out LBW....

Reply #105227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My children obviously have played at all the stadiums (considering the 10 years of district basketball)and Morphett Vale is the only one we have had problems with or witnessed bad referring. We have seen some dicey calls at other stadiums but not the blatant ones called at MV. Maybe Tigers should concentrate more on training the children some skills not teaching their Refs how to rig the games for them. PS have heard you guys at MV hate Souths so that explains the negative comments!!!!

Reply #105229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In all seriousness, the refs at southern have improved since 'the dice man' and 'ur outa here' has not been working.
Friday night saw U 16 girls div 1 with 2 very good refs and the 18's div 1 girls' refs were on the whole better than they had ever been with the odd poor call.
My advice to southern is to pat on the back those guys from friday and under no circumstances re-admit the big headed exit king ref who believes people are there to watch him.

Reply #105234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to clarify clubs have no involvement with referee development. The referees who are at morphett vale are basketball sa referees not southern referees.

Reply #105240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last Samurai

"I would like to let you know that if you have a problem with me, talk to me about it, in a reasonable manner. If you don't then you get nothing out of me. Most refs are the same."

I would say you would be the only ref if this is true (or one of few)... most i politely talk to throw that "zero tolerance" BS at you and have "you can't talk to me I'm a ref" syndrome, and need to grow up and learn some communication skills. Having said this, and seeing peoples response re green shirts, they are generally the best at communicating, give me two green shirts over big shot qualified refs any day. These kids actually take pride in trying to ref rather than proving a point and will talk to you instead of turning their back. Sure they will make mistakes, but will give you their point of view, a courtesy few "good" (or should I say "highly qualified") refs will do,as they have that ref syndrome I was talking about. All we ask for as coaches/players is communication.

Reply #105241 | Report this post

In The Know  
Years ago

Just to clear the record, the post by "intheknow" was not by me.

Reply #105244 | Report this post

intheknow  
Years ago

wasn't me either!

Reply #105279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Im definitely not in the know.. you know!

Reply #105289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But related to his cousin , don't know.

Reply #105290 | Report this post

who really knows  
Years ago

Bill is nothing but a joke. Get rid of Bill and maybe the other refs will improve when he is not filling their heads with rot. Bill is useless.

Reply #105292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is the last samuri?

Reply #105296 | Report this post

THE sHADOW KNOWS  
Years ago

A failed ninja..

Reply #105303 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

105241: can I just say as a senior player and therefore playing under senior referees I have only ever come across 1 of them that will not talk to me when I approach them in a respectful manner, and I'd say that is out of about 50 or more taht have reffed my game.
I think what you said is utter BS. Sure they may have bad games, and some many, but I'll definitely stick up for them when it comes to communication

Reply #105314 | Report this post

legal beagle  
Years ago

check the typos taht face

Reply #105330 | Report this post

ONTHECOURT  
Years ago

HE WAS BACK THERE IN ALL HIS GLORY TONIGHT FOR HTE FANS TO SEE AND WAS ANYONE EJECTED I HEAR YOU ALL ASK ?

nO THEY WERE NOT SEE A QUALITY REF ALWAYS COPS THE HARSHEST CRITISISMS

JEALOUSE WANNABES I THINK AND THOSE WHO WILL NEVER HAVE THE SKILLS TO DO THE JOB TRYING TO BIG NOTE THEMSELVES FROM THE ONLY PLACE THEY GET ANY ACTION, THE SIDE LINES!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET OFF HIS CASE AND SEE HIM FOR WHAT HE IS

HE REF'ED MY GAME TONIGHT AND HATS OFF MATE YOU DID A GOOD JOB.

i HOPE THAT bILL KEEPS YOU ON AND THAT HE DOESNT GET TOO PUT OFF BY THE MONKEY'S ON THIS FORUM TOO GUTLESS TO TELL BILL TO HIS FACE THAT THEY HAVE ISSUES WITH HIM

COWARDS GET OUT IN THE REAL WORLD

OR ONTO THE COURT AND LET YOUR SKILLS DO THE TALKING AND NOT YOUR BIG MOUTHS

P,S WE WON AND THE REFS WERE MORE THAN FAIR AND WE AINT' THE SOUTHERN TIGERS EITHER

Reply #105332 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Is Bill W still at Morphett Vale? Probably not the most technically correct Referee ever, but that old bloke would be there every Friday night running the floor. I bet if a better Referee was available, old Bill W might not have got so many good games, but in our sport sometimes we don't get enough people willing to step up, and those that do I thank.

A good thing about Bill W, he was consistant.

Reply #105333 | Report this post

On the court..........Funny how winners always think the refs get it right....
Great to see you support the guy but maybe others have the right to can him too without you yelling at them.
Lets lock this one down as a one all draw.

Reply #105335 | Report this post

anon.  
Years ago

who said intheknow is even in a wheelchair or has a disability get your facts correct before you make comments on people and stop assuming you know who this person is

Reply #105609 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754