Is Basketball Growing?

Some years ago, school grounds at lunch times were full of kids playing Basketball.Now its soccer or volleyball etc.
Are there any figures on the numbers of kids playing district and is the quality really district level?
Junior levels are not competitive across the divisions with only 2 or 3 clubs having depth and the others in some case fielding div 2's as div 1.
Perception or reality? Do we need to allow club's to have more than one div 1 team if they have the depth and remove the right for automatic div 1 for clubs to strengthen our competition?
Norwood are boasting about having the most teams in BSA but how strong are they? Does having Div 22 help district basketball or weaken it?
What positive changes to junior bball has the death of BASA and the birth of BSA brought and what are they? Are costs associated with BBall average or more than other comparable sports?
Do clubs talk about whats good for bball or whats good for clubs when they get together?
Or is everybody happy?

Topic #9307 | Report this topic

The Early Bird  
Years ago

Basketball became to elitus to quickly

Reply #105342 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

No, perception, no, reasonably, neither, unknown, comparable, sometimes, no.

Reply #105343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not growing for young kids.
Why? parents turned off. 11 months of never ending games and tournaments on every long week end. There is life out there.

Sixers dont visit schools

Port Power visits my country school once every 2 years.

Crows visit my country school once every 3 years.

Sixers want money for visits,

kids have forgotten they exist, and they live in a world of dilusion.

Reply #105352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A good point that the season is too long. The silly season does not seem to represent anything and everyone calls it crap, so why do we play it?
It's not a grading system like the Vics have so why do we have it? Maybe we would have more parents happier to be involved if we cut it some.
Lots of other issues around the travel all over the place and late at night which for juniors is a turn off to parents. Noralunga to gawler to Mt barker with 8.45 and 9.45 starts. Saturday nights and friday nights when you have 2 or 3 kids involved is a big ask.
Rationalize the program, play at a central venue all the time, reduce the number of clubs and raise the standard by rewarding clubs who have better programs and depth with the right to enter multiple Div 1 teams.
Sell off some of the stadiums and play at the Dome all day saturday for the juniors like netball does at ETSA park

Reply #105354 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Basketball is a very good product. Several clubs have waiting lists in more than one age group. It costs to play, but compared with other sports which require hire of facilities, payment of umpires and accreditation of coaches it is cheap. Try tennis or squash as examples. A court at your local squash centre is now over $20/hour. On an hourly basis basketball is not expensive, but the Div 1 juniors do a lot of hours in the course of the year.

Cricket and football usually have the oval paid for by a school or council - very few teams have to hire an oval each week. If they did, the cost would be far higher than basketball.

Don't blame the 36ers for wanting payment to turn up to schools - the football players are paid through TV money filtering through development squads. The 36ers and Lightning players do a huge amount of (barely) paid and voluntary training of juniors.

Sturt, Norwood and Forestville all got girls and/or boys U14 teams in the top eight nationally. This suggests the standard at the top isn't too far off the pace.

Norwood have the most teams because they have tried to introduce as many players as possible to the sport. There is a trade off between number of players and the standard of play. With the larger clubs having 300-450 junior players not all of them are going to be a potential Brett Maher or Erin Phillips. But they can dream about it.

Promotion/relegation discussions have been done to death. Yes, there is a case for it. Would it improve the standard of competition? Probably not by much - the top five teams in Div 1 probably wouldn't change much, only the bottom five. The second best team in any club will be a long way behind their first team. A state player in a club that loses its automatic Div 1 position will have to change clubs.

There is a stronger case for promotion/relegation outside of Div 1 to reduce the number of lop sided results.

We can't centralise locations much. as there are too many teams. The Dome is already used every second Friday night and every Saturday morning.

There is a lot of formal and informal discussion between the clubs about what is good for basketball. If you think more is required, get involved in the running of your club.

Oh, if you think the standard of district isn't good enough ... practise harder!

Reply #105368 | Report this post

Victorian  
Years ago

Anon , Nothing changes - like I said come back to SA go back 30 mins on the clock 30 years in time.

What is the purpose of the so called new BSA or whatever they choose to call themselves - was it not to push the game in the RIGHT direction taking out all the self vested interest of the clubs for the betterment of the sport overall.

NOTHING CHANGES IN THE LAND OF NOD - it is so sad to watch the same lot of people stuff up the sport once again because they cannot see beyond their noses and they do not have the expertise and forsight / vision as to where the game can go. Give it less than 3 years and no doubt another administrator will be appointed and more hundreds of thousands of dollars will be wasted yet again.

We did not like where the game in Vic was going 5 years ago and we have actually DONE something about it - There are some terrific ideas in this post that will benefit the game hugely - pity no one has the energy to persue it

Reply #105400 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Anon 10568

You are kidding:-

1) Firstly I don't believe any district clubs have waiting lists - why its revenue for them.

2) Bball is Cheaper - on what measure? In bball we have to pay for our kids uniform, club subs, parents friends and grand parents have to also pay just to watch their siblings play! Doesn't happen at other main stream sports( Aussie rules, soccer or cricket). Add up that total and no parent can have a kid (starting) and get any change out of $1,200 to $1,500 in the first year. Then $800 + per year thereafter(including entry costs) after buying the uniform. So intrigued as to how you think its cheap?

3) Re 2 seasons - compertitions go the full year, ALL other sports at least have a break. Might it be a wakeup call to the adminstrators that to have a break makes people (including players) want it more?

4) 36 ers do nothing to put back into local bball, when compared to ALL other football codes. Don't care if the others are contract driven or not.

5) Summer season is a joke. ALL clubs know who is going to be in which grades, little if any changes. No other sport has it why BBall? Because its about revenue for both clubs and BSA.

So is it possible that a new controlling board or committe might actually see our weaknesses and address them?

Lets hope so.

Reply #105421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon....If you raised the standard of the lower 5 every level would rise as there would be less easy games. Lots of the first teams have been beaten by their second teams over the years at various times and how hard is it to program all junior games over the day on Saturday to make it central?
Agreed pro/rel has been discussed ad nauseum but has pro/rel been tried lately or just dismissed? So change the rules on state players or move to another club, don't tell me you adhere to a non existant loyalty policy?
Don't know about your neighbourhood but I can't tell you one junior playing squash so I don't think you can compare that in costs.
You have admitted cricket and football are both cheaper because of council assistance, who's talking to councils about basketball's perspective from BSA?
Waiting lists in some clubs?? For hoops to hoops or entry level do you mean, cause it's certainly not for Div 1/2 players.
Humour me and tell me which sports basketball compares with favourably cost wise for juniors?Its not netball, cricket,soccer or football or tennis. You can play tennis across several divisions for substantially lower cost per season and guess what, more centrally.
Also tell me another junior sport that subsidises seniors playing? The argument of court hire and training more than seniors is in most cases not true. In cases where it is why dont clubs train on outside courts and/or use school courts ????
What is all this crud about accreditted coaches adding to costs? The number of teams at Norwood for example with mums and dads coaching them is larger than the number with coaches with level 2 coaching accreditation and its the same across the clubs.
Why not blame the sixers for not going to schools and the like to attract new players and doing it as part of their job. They have bled junior basketball dry over the last decade and returned sweet fanny adams to it with most so up themselves they know the colour of their stools.
The sixers have a debt to repay to juniors that demands they get out in the community and gratis if they want their sport to survive. But most want big bucks to coach and pretend to run clinic of huge and significant proportions during school holidays.
The fall of in girls playing bball is enormous and second string athletes and tall drinks of water play basketball. Time to market the game , run it better and involve the elite players in the resurrection

Reply #105422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same controlling body with different heads. In basketball parents get screwed because of the structure which is designed or was designed to raise money thru a silly or more correctly named fake season.
Its sole purpose is revenue. 10 weeks of crap that all div 1 or 2 players have to play to hold their spots. We all go along and pay our entry fees and to cover the refs and stadium hire for a season we don't want and pay the same club fees as the longer winter season.
Scrap it.

Reply #105424 | Report this post

Stephen D  
Years ago

What I find interesting is the large number of basketball players who fall out the system from the age of 16.

Senior basketball in Adelaide is very small.
Most sports keep their juniors, who progress to seniors and continue.

There is too much basketball for the kids.
I see at my son's club that many of the boys are fatigued and tired after playing almost for 5 continuos years, without a decent break.
Competition is so strong, that one cannot afford to take a break.
Another good kid will take your place, and it would be very hard to get your place back again.

I do see their being merit in having a proper break, in stead of 12 months basketball.

Boys can hace club commitments, svhool basketball, SASI, state commitments.

There are boys who are training / playing seven days a week, and on average 3 hours a day.
I see these boys as candidates for premature burn out. The end result is that you will lose these kids to the sport.

I believe that this is an area the authorities need to review.

Reply #105459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing growing is the size of the kids playing it. Seems a preoccupation with height as evidenced by the young girl at SASI now. Lots of height yes but!

Reply #105479 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Fiji,

Sorry Fiji, I was under the impression that at least three clubs had waiting lists in certain age groups - I stand corrected if your information is better. Of course any club will be interested if a Div 1/2 player wants to join.

$800 per year is under $6/hour for a team which plays summer & winter & trains twice a week. Not too many organised kids activities outside of school are under $6/hour.

Reply #105498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just have to jump on #105422 about playing Junior District Basketball Centrally.
At the moment there are District games played on Thursday & Friday nights & Saturday mornings. To fit all the current district games into one 10 hour day, you would need approximately 20 courts.

I want to see that Venue(!!!), anywhere in Australia.

Even if you cut District back to only Division 1 & 2 you would still need 10 courts to play all games from U10-U18 in one day, that is scrapping U20/21 & making all games finish in 1 hour, playing from 8am through to 6pm. (U10/2 Boys & Girls at 8am - 10 games and so on, with U18/1 Boys & Girls at 5pm).
This assumes that all 10 clubs have a team in each grade, even if that number reduced to 8 you would still need 8 courts, still bigger than anything already in Adelaide.

At present you could use, say Wayville & The Dome which gives 6 courts, plus you would still need 4 more. (or 2 if team numbers reduce)

Also, try telling people from Southern, Centrals or Mavericks that travelling to the Dome every week is convenient & central.
That idea was so poorly thought out that I haven't even bothered to read the rest of your post.

Reply #105526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reading half a post would suit most with half a brain. Most of your assumptions are wrong about clubs. Centrallity means averaging distances for all. People at Southern might prefer travelling to the dome rather than Starplex, Wests at Port Adelaide the same rather than Mt Barker etc etc.(picture to follow for you #526).
Think laterally for a solution, use Wayville and the Dome plus Sundays for Div 2's but don't close off your mind to change, its self limiting.
Anon...you forgot to factor in entry for players and spectators which bumps it up double and more, most junior spots don't encounter those extras, netball excepted which charges entry for players and spectators significantly lower than bball and at least their venue is central reducing fuel costs.

Reply #105540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

basketball is too expensive.. Uniforms, cost to play and spectate, petrol to trainings and stadiums, court hire, shoes, club fees etc etc.

Football, netball, soccer, cricket and tennis are the main sports taking people away from basketball and they are all cheaper.

Reply #105548 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Cricket cheaper than basketball? HAHHAHAHAH yeh the 100 dollar pads, 50 dollar gloves, 300 minimum for a decent bat, not to mention u needa buy shoes uniforms and fees. Trust me basketball is cheaper than cricket.

Reply #105556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dr Bullshit, In regards to cricket: $300 will get you an extremely good bat, you could get a decent bat for $180. You could also get decent not top of the range gloves and pads for cheaper than you quoted.

what is the cost each week to play? What is the travelling like compared to basketball (petrol costs)? What are the fees per season? How much does it cost for spectators to watch?

Cricket is cheaper than basketball.

Reply #105572 | Report this post

anon.  
Years ago

To play district cricket you have to travel just as much as bball. Southern Districts Northern District etc. Fees are also very expensive.

Reply #105624 | Report this post

michell  
Years ago

Where is 8 year old basketball games

Reply #132813 | Report this post

michell  
Years ago

Where is 8 year old basketball games

Reply #132814 | Report this post

Anon-e-mouse  
Years ago

Michell - where do you live? An 8 year old could play Aussie Hoops held at Sturt and Forestville on Friday afternoons (Sundays too I think) could play district ( but expensive) should see if the kid likes it first. Social comps are normally run in b/ball stadiums on Saturday mornings and afternoons. There are a lot of school comps held as well for this age group

Reply #132829 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:56 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754