Abney: history's greatest monster

I mean, that was unacceptable! I think we need security to follow this guy around on court, absolutely disgusting!!!!!!!!
Brad Hill is a saint, how could you do that to him, disgraceful.

Topic #9331 | Report this topic

52-Cans  
Years ago

what he do? explain...

Reply #105681 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

broke his arm, its was a hard foul on a dunk and he just landed bad.

Reply #105683 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

nah. it's was a bad foul - and everyone who saw it knows it. down play it if you want (it was only one play in a whole game of bad plays ..) but abney was responsible for the break - plain and simple ... and if you bring it soft to training cans - i'll do the same to you ....

Reply #105686 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

he,he,he ..

Reply #105688 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

It was a deliberate attempt to cause grievious bodily harm. Isn't that a crime? Certainly not punishable by a mere foul, not when Horvath can get an additional Tech Foul for throwing a towel and especially after he was ejected from the game. It made me feel sick in the stomach to witness that act. It ruined the whole game.

Reply #105690 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

yeah, but was he clean-shaven ? that's what important here ..

Reply #105691 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Any ref with half a brain would have given Horvath a delay of game warning. To give him his 6th foul on a tech for that in a crucial part of the game is just ridiculous.

Techs SHOULD NOT be counted as personal fouls. Ive always hated that rule in the NBL.

Reply #105692 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I must admit - I didnt like Abneys mohawk. Poor grooming!

hehe

Reply #105696 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

how the hell was the foul on abney not unsportsmanlike???

Reply #105699 | Report this post

Stiffy  
Years ago

He only broke one arm.. I mean Hill could still walk off the court. No way thats unsportsmanlike.

Reply #105704 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Abney's mohawk was the most tolerable thing about him tonight.

Reply #105713 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

any video footage of this? or even pics... i didnt get to see game

Reply #105731 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

it was a hack from behind and was with full force, sums abney up really

Reply #105745 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Abney's a tool

Reply #105747 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

This is the horrible moment:

http://yvonnemilbank.com/image.cfm?d=Sport/NBL/2006-2007%20Season/061110_v_Townsville/7504_Brad_Hill.jpg

He didn't even know he was coming...

Reply #105760 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I will go out on a limb here, and whilst Brad's injury was horific and not doubt this is a bad time for the family, Brad did allow Abney to run him down.

If Brad had accelerated when he caught the ball ( he had a good few metres head start on Abney) at slowed down and not cocked it back over his head when in the air Abney would have had absolutely no play on the ball.

Instead he went for the big block because Brad had given him the opportunity to go for it.

I dont think Abney had any intent to hurt Brad and in fact the photo before the one posted above shows that Abney almost got the ball clean.

He did not take his legs out as i have seen done by lesser players he simply made a play for the ball and the worst thing resulted.

Abney rushed to Brad staright away, it was not like he was strutting around basking in the glory of hurting a player.

Unfortunate set of circumstances plain and simple.

I hope to see Brad return to the court at some stage soon and wish him a speedy recovery and rehab

Reply #105764 | Report this post

BT  
Years ago

Because it was such a terrible incident it has been blown up and I have been one to get very upset over the whole thing.

However, apart from making Brad Hill earn the points there was no way Abney intended to injure Hill. I hate the fact that it happened and I was one calling for Abney's head, but, he didn't mean to do it. Yes he tried to make him earn it, but you could see the concern that he had the second he realised what had happened. I guess any venting going on in Hoops is over the incident and not totally directed at Abney.

The incident was shocking and terrible and I have spent the night wishing bad things to happen to Abney, but, he didn't intend it to happen, I think I would have been a lot more comfortable with the incident if he was called for an unsportsmanlike foul, that would have given me and probably a lot of other people closure. This did not happen, so the venting will continue.

Conclusion, I hope Brad comes back from this, he is such a good young prospect and I don't think we can hate Abney for what happened. We can hate the incident, but not hate Abney, that wouldn't be fair.

Reply #105768 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I agree that Abney was definitely regretful as soon as he clobbered Hill. While it was still a horrific foul which deserved (at least) an unsportsmanlike call, I don't think there was any evil intent behind it.

I wasn't hating on Abney too badly until he started whooping it up and punching the air continually in the second half. I mean, fine, play hard and come back to beat us... that's one thing. But don't be gloating after you've just snapped both bones in a young kids arm, resulting in a bone protrusion. What kind of human being are you?

As for it being partially Hill's fault because he allowed himself to be run down, that's an absolute crock. Abney sprinted his heart out to come from behind - I don't think Hill was even aware he was coming.

For me, it soured the whole night. In the end, I didn't even care about the loss - I was just disgusted at seeing the human stories that transpired both on the court and in the stands.

Reply #105783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The most thing that pissed me off the most was that noone on the 6ers team had a go at Abney after.
F&%KEN soft. at least shirt front him and let him know. Everyone in the stadium was pissed at Abney accept Townsville and the Sixers players. I wanted o run in from the crowd. You need a team that has players with heart. We have had a go at shane heal, but even though he is a sum bag, he would has jut about fought Abney on court after that. GET SOME GUYS WITH HEART and EMOTION

Reply #105784 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

that picture link says the photo aint there... despite not having seen the incident, if abney went at the ball and made a hard foul, how is it unsportsmanlike? from last few posts on here, it sounds like he went hard at ball and made body contact which resulted in brad landing awkward... as for 6ers not getting in abneys face, i agree, show some balls and heart... or even hit him hard on next play and put him on his ass

Reply #105794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Rice?

Reply #105831 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Aaron Rice... and just saw the footage on sports tonight... didnt look like he tried to take him out at all or anything like that... was hard foul, as Liam Flynn used to say when he coached my team in 14s, nothing easy... meaning, dont give up an easy layup, he ran brad down and fouled, unfortunate landing looks like the problem... main thing is that brad bounces back, which he will, cause he isnt the kind of guy to just give up... all the best to him

Reply #105835 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Why do people say you have to 'get in his face' and 'stick up for Hill'
It's all this bull-shit, 'my dicks bigger than your dick' agro mentality that causes these bloody injuries in the first place.
How many would complain if the 36ers players retaliated and then ended up being suspended like the Cat for 'fighting'. Why do people want to see bullshit agro? If you want to see that, then go to the boxing, or the socker, or the AFL.
I mean for friggin' sake, maybe the players just felt SICK at the sight of one of their own with a bone sticking out of his arm?
How is pummelling someone else going to fix it?
Whewwww...I feel better now....

Reply #105860 | Report this post

crudeboy  
Years ago

Abney is no monster.

Abney went for the ball, a foul occurred and a freak, on in a billon accident occurred.

The foul was not intentional, he was going for the ball! I am surprised that a crowd that loves to pride themselves as been the most intelligent in the league are proven just to be plain old one-eyed supporters (to quote Seinfeld "Not that there is anything wrong with that")

Abney's actions immediately during and after the incident made it additonally clear that it was not intentional and how bad he felt.

If Brad did not get hurt, we would not even be discussing this accident, and that is all it was, an accident.

My best wishes go out to Brad, hope to see you back in sixers uniform on the court again soon.

Reply #105893 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

That was a typical female comment Dana!
But I love the way you spell soccer...

Reply #105899 | Report this post

Harvard 1500  
Years ago

If Brad didn't get hurt I still think 90% of people would be fuming at the lack gusto shown by his team. It has nothing to do with agro, if you allow yourself and your team to be bullied and beaten then you dont stand a chance. Other teams will dominate you mentally AND physically. Im not suggesting our guys charge the court with machetes, just stick up for one of your own.

Crudeboy, accident? No way. It was a careless foul that went beyond hard. Abney is still a clown.

Reply #105902 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

While the accident left you feeling sick in the stomach with only a foul being called, people were angry but the game continued. It was when Horvath received 3 consecutive Tech fouls and particularly the last one for throwing a towel when he had already been ejected from the game and off the court that made you realise how stupid and one sided the refs were. Use sheer force approaching a player from the rear to cause such a horrific injury = a foul, throwing a towel after being ejected from the game = a tech foul. Look at it that way and then say there was no stupidity in that. The discussions I had with others after the game upstairs suggested, and I thoroughly agree, that the sixers should have walked off the court and abandoned the game. The fine as a result of that would have been gladly paid by the fans all chipping in just to send a message that this nonsense is not being tolerated. That would have been the way the team could have shown pride in standing up for themselves in this manner. The Crocs' win would have been a less satisfying one as well. Before anyone fights this argument, just remember the number of posters on this forum who have agreed that the refs did a pathetic job. There is no question about that. Whether the Sixers were capable of putting it behind them and concentrating on the game is one thing but it just should not have happened.

Reply #105919 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Dana, what is wrong with getting in someones face after a player is taken out. They come in our house, they take out one of our players, and not one of our lads got into Abney about it. They showed no balls.

I'm not saying that someone should of taken out Abney, or smacked him in the head but someone should of let him know that no-one comes into our house, roughs up our players and walks away without something being said or done.

I know in my job if one of our boys or girls gets put down someone is paying, and vice versa, if it's me down I expect my crew to stand at my shoulder and bail me out and let it be known that shit like that will not be tolerated.

Reply #105928 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

#105928 Spot on TC. You just know that the next team that comes to the Dome is going to be on a rough up mission, why?

Because the team will let them!

Reply #105939 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754