Anonymous
Years ago

What to do? Parent throws can at coach

Last night I saw an incident and was wondering what should be the outcome? But also what would be a better way for dealing with it?

A parent was unhappy about something in a game.(Not sure what is was) After the game the parent through a 1/2 full drink can at the coach and started to have a go at them.

No need to name names. So please don't.

1/ What should be the reprocussions for something like this?

2/ What is a better way for people to deal with it?

Topic #9352 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw it. It was disgraceful. Show the parent the door and ask him never to return. A club runs on volunteers, in particular the coaches. It is hard to get coaches let alone good ones like the coach who was attacked. How much harder will it become if this outrageous behaviour is tolerated.

How to deal with it better? Stay out of it and let the player deal with the coach in a rational way when the heat has gone out of the situation. The parent should have no involvement, other than to counsel the player on the best way to handle it.

Reply #105944 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Ugly Parent Syndrome is probably the single worst thing about sport.

Reply #105954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its the clubs problem leave it to them

Reply #105977 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

What age group was this? Boys or Girls? I am assuming is it an older age group as the suggestion is that the Player sort it out with the Coach!

Reply #105996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think the humidity affected a few on saturday night - quite a carry on during an older gilrs game south of adelaide

ie techs, coach yelling abuse, players kicking chairs, parents slapping scorebench in disgust

quite an eventful night for the basketball police!

Reply #106090 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Here, here. Leave it to the Club to sort out. Each club has a Player/Supporter/Coach Code of Conduct. Put it into practice I say.

Reply #106120 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Are we talking a player's parent throwing it at his own child's coach? Or the opposition Coach?

What level are we talking about here?

Disgusting either way, but I was just curious about the circumstances.

Emarassing for the parent in the cold light of day, I would think, too.

Reply #106205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturtysixers,

Is that becasue it happened at your club. I can only imagine how different your response would be if this kind of thing had of happened at the club considered to be your "big brother".

Reply #106258 | Report this post

nicll  
Years ago

it was a u/18 div 1 boys game and the kid only got 1 min. court time

Reply #106292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would 30 seconds be a two can Job?

Reply #106294 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Maybe, on that line of thinking then 52 seconds of court time would be 52 cans, or even 52 coke cans!!

Reply #106298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I laugh at how precious this club must be, trying to prevent itself being named on this forum by anonymous "it doesn't matter which club it is" type posting whenever they have controversy - if it had of been Norwood or Sturt this happened to these same people would be naming and shaming them for all to see.

Reply #106309 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Sounds like the lightening and humidity got to everyone on Saturday night - First its an older girls game then its U18 div 1 boys - I think cans must have been thrown at quite a few coaches from different clubs!

Reply #106333 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Anon (#106258)

What I was referring to is that all players and spectators of every club are bound by the respective codes of conduct. There is also a judicial system that deals with this sort of behaviour.

Reply #106341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All of us have lost our temper at one stage or other.

Many of us have lost our temper at our kids basketball.

Not many of us would have thrown anything at our kids coach.

This person should be banned from all BSA run or controlled stadiums for at least 5-10 years.

What a Moron.

Reply #106688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturtysixers,

Not sure that a parent can be reported for this sort of behaviour. And considering this persons position in the club, I dount that will happen.

Again, can only imagine what you would be saying if this occur at you friendly neighbours club.

Reply #106689 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Of course a parent can be reported. The parent can be removed from the club, banned from the stadium and also banned from any club held events.

Reply #106696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturtysixers

A parent can be reported. For abusing or threatening a referee. But, not for an altercation with a coach.

And considering the parent who it is, I am sure that your club will do nothing. Except try and keep it under the covers, like you want.

Reply #106714 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Why is this thread so cryptic? Why don't all the people who have posted comments say which club they mean. we are not psychics!!!

Reply #106727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last time a parent threw a can at me..I drank it!

Reply #106737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the club is??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Reply #106855 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Anon 106714,

A parent can be reported for abusing or threatening any official (this includes coaches and managers)and I believe throwing a soft drink can would be considered abuse/threatening.......

Reply #106857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

let's just say the can "flew" thru the air

Reply #106874 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

The 'can' cannot be reported only recycled.

Reply #106882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You say the can was half full. This is decidedly more serious, than if it was half empty.

Throwing a half empty can, usually only attracts a slap on the wrist. But given that the said can was half full.....this parent faces at least 5 weeks of watching continuous M*A*S*H* re-runs !!

Reply #106938 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Anon #106855

Have a look at my Alias and see if it gives you any clues......

Reply #106943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The can was arrested after it was found to be a Victorian Bitter.

Reply #106944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturtysixers

Hmmmm, I would say that your Alias shows a distinct loathing for Sturt. That only narrows it down to about 9 other clubs!

Reply #106945 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

....but link it to this thread!!!

Reply #106950 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

....and I do not loathe any club!

Reply #106952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It certainly wasn't a Sturt parent.

Just up the road a little... you know, the club with a similar arrogance level.

Reply #106959 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Sorry 106959 - but I think all the clubs are somewhat arrogant and there are a few clubs just up the road a little - depends on which direction you're heading - west or north?

Reply #106978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheeeez, was it Sturt or not, no facy "look at my name & work it out stuff". YES or NO?

Reply #106980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The name of the club was on the bottom of the can but bloody sturty6er recycled it.

Reply #107002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville !! It was Forestville........a team full of can chucking parents. And they never say hello in passing.

Reply #107029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who can say!

Reply #107165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was a forestville parent then the can was empty....
If it was a forestville coach then he threw it at himself.
and if it happened at forestvile, the can cost too much, slipped from a refs pocket and contained and IOU.

Reply #107166 | Report this post

TasBoy  
Years ago

Thats a discrase. Heaps of funnys on here though. The boy must feel like a dick and if he isn't getting any clock maybe he should do something about it.
Parent should be banned from the stadium for at least a year.
This kinda shit would only happen in SA though.

Reply #107488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea and the parent would have needed two cans for each head if the game was in Tasmania.

Reply #107544 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

lol, god i luv tassie jokes!

Reply #107562 | Report this post

nicll  
Years ago

if there was 26 parents you would need 52cans......

Reply #107568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't believe I was reading this - "Not sure that a parent can be reported for this sort of behaviour. And considering this persons position in the club, I dount that will happen." What the hell has a "person's position" got to do with being a ugly spectator - bring on the basketball police and ban such crap behaviour before it catches on and chairs become the next flying obstacles. Not sure whether I feel sorry for the kid who owns the parent or feel disappointed that the kid who is at an age where he can speak up didn't disown the parent and walk out.

Reply #107719 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Hey leave me out of this!

Reply #108097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ban cans from games?

Reply #108118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh yeah... serve everything in a CUP lol

Reply #108821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fortunately the thrower of the can was trained by the English cricket team's bowling coach and consequently the can was in no danger of hiting anything.

Reply #108937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop Press:
The mischievous parent was arrested in Paris this morning for attempting the can can!

Reply #108967 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754