anon
Years ago

Stop bad mouthing Phil

Why is it that everytime a team is not playing at their best people look to the coach and lay all the blame on them. At the level we have in the NBL the players should not need a coach to tell them they need to buckle up and start playing the game. The sixers start to the season has been horrible, look at any other team that has lost their captain for 6 weeks and at the same time needed to bring a new playing group together, an injured playing group.
the simple thing is we have the skills and players to be a good team, but they are not playing as a team.
Copeland is a player that can miss 15 shots in the first half and then score 20 points in the second, thats why he gets the minutes.
Nash is a bloody good defender I just wish he would get some confidence finally and play some offence, he can shot he just doesnt.
Matt Sutton needs more minutes than Brad Hill(when he is back), He's a much better ball handler and doesnt make as many mistakes.
Ng needs to put on some muscle so hes not scared of larger players and doesnt get thrown around the court, and better ball handling skills would be great.
Maher needs to restart his season, because he has being injured DOES NOT MEAN he is to old to play, if you think that then go have a talk to Andrew Gaze and realise your an idiot. Maher showed against Townsville that just having him on the court brought the team together in the first 2 halfs, his assists were amazing. But it will take 3-5 games for him to be back to full potential.

Umpires

When are they going to be bloody consistant, how do any teams know what they can do when the referees make such different calls on the same offenses.
In Perths game 2 unsportsman like fouls were called by the same referees that let Abneys hit on Hill go, despite the fact Abneys was a much harder hit. Even without considering the broken arm.
Im sick of going to the games to see the umpires make an absolute farce of themselves, they removed Copelad from the game when there is not even a rule to allow them to remove a player from the stadium, this rule excists only for coaches. They later said they're decision was based on his comments, how about you just learn the rules and then how to referee a game.

Well thats my rant, and Im staying anon because if you knew who I was you'd be bloody jealous!

Topic #9357 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mrs Smyth why is it every time your sons team loses you go blaming the refs!!

Reply #105983 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I didnt blame the ref's for the sixers loosing. Just said that they suck and that its hard for ANY team to know what they are and arent allowed to do.

Reply #105984 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

So you are admitting to being Phil's mum?

Reply #105985 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

No I just didnt care or feel the need to reply to an un-needed comment

Reply #105986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it ok to bad mouth refs but not Phil?

Reply #106003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's paid too much to be a failure and his time is up. Pro's get paid to compete and when they don't they get criticism. Cry elsewhere.

Reply #106004 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

We will stop bad mouthing Phil when we see some signs of him actually being a coach!

Reply #106007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You say players don't need a coach to play at NBL level. You're right at this moment, the players are running the game and Phil is making the subbing decisions (bad ones). You mention all the players and what they can do and bring to the team... so why aren't we winning? I'll lock in:
A) decision making by the coach

So you say stop bad mouthing Phil, then you go on to badmouth refs.. Yet you have no idea about the rules.

"they removed Copelad from the game when there is not even a rule to allow them to remove a player from the stadium, this rule excists only for coaches."

Go back and read that rule book again champ.

Reply #106015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After tonights game can we get back to bagging phil again now????

Reply #106087 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

squids comment somes it up, nough said

Reply #106114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad to say it but i agree with Anon, its one bad season in i dont know how many. We've been round the mark consistantly and we were bound for a bad year at sometime. This is it.

Reply #106117 | Report this post

gdog  
Years ago

Finishing 4th for 4 striaght years dont cut it either IMO. So I dont see it as 1 bad season. I see it as many missed opportunities.

Reply #106118 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

Phil Smyth should be given an ultimatum for next year; either look at re build the squad with some younger guys or walk away at the end of the season.

Any idiot who cannot show Phil Smyth a little bit of respect (he was in the best 3 points guards in the world at one stage) by suggesting he should be sacked immediately doesn't have any idea about basketball. I agree that he cannot rest on the past and should be moving towards reaching new KPI but he has to be given an opportunity to do that first.

Either he recruits some younger guys (not necessarily 18 or 19 year olds) but mid 20's who can improve and will have 4 or 5 years to challenge for a title again or he should just walk away with a reasonable record.

Copeland and Wheeler should retire; maybe we have to look at replacing Farley as we need a point guard (Brett can play the 2 spot) and we need to find a small forward who can contribute on both the offensive and defensive end of the court. Horvath is good and is a priority to be retained.

If Smyth walks away then Ninnis is the number 1 priority as a replacement but Smyth has to be told that rebuilding is the key to next year.

Reply #106126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why couldnt it have been done this year instead of picking up copeland and wheels? the other thing with young players is that they need one on one work that doesnt happen here.

Reply #106130 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

People always focus on Copes and Wheels when discussing Phil's recruiting. Maybe owing to the salery we are paying Brett and Willie we didn't have much room to move.

Where do people rate Horvath as a recruiting job? He surely has to be one of the top imports in the land.

And Adrian is 26 and now starting for us. Hopefully he can stay with us for a few years.

Reply #106133 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

after watching tonight i just hated how the only thing Phil seemed passionate about was the refs....everything else he sat back and just watched - passively!

as for Copes - he acually did ok tonight - BUT in the last 1/4 when we are being pumped why put a 41 year old in his last season on court in front of a rookie who is learning and needs to get more game time to grow as a player? who cares if he maks some bad plays when the game is dad - let hoim have the chance to amke them and learn!!!!!!

also i found it a bit wierd that at 837pm (approx 12 mins after the final siren) the coach and his #1 assistant were already outside the bris convention centre walking back to the hotel? nothing left to say to the team boys other than "give it 6 weeks we will be fine" or " the refs cost us" come on at least put up the facade that you give a stuff!

Reply #106136 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

NINNIS for 36ers head coach 2007-2008

Reply #106137 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tce44, do you mean the max on Maher or the $100k on Wheeler? Which recruiting and Brett are you talking about?

Reply #106138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly just because you were in the top 3 point guards in the world dosnt mean your are in the top 3 coaches in the world. it also means that yes he was awsem in his day but dosnt mean he is awsem at relation to people. coaches have to know theie players n talk with there players to know them in every situation. i know first hand phil does not do this. i also know he dosnt not tell the younger guys what they are doing wrong! isnt that the coaches job. helping them develop.

Reply #106139 | Report this post

Troy  
Years ago

Has anyone forgotten the trouble the club was in prior to the season starting? Yes, that's right, the Sixers were on the brink of extinction. Yes I could imagine Phil's sales pitch to some young guys looking at making their mark in the NBL. Hey, just wondering if you would be interested in playing for us this season? Yes I know we are in the middle of trying to find a new owner and yes I know we might be located to another state and yes if we do make it through this season, we might not be around after this season and I know we are having troubles getting some good quality players, but trust us it will be ok. Yeah who in their right mind would turn down an offer like that?

I think considering the troubles, Phil has done pretty well just to get a team together. The signing of Nick Horvath to replace Dusty was a pretty good one IMO. Sure I was upset to hear that Dusty was leaving, but Horvath has been very good for us. Much more than Dusty could have done this season I feel.

I haven't been able to see too many games, due to living in brisbane, but surely nobody is perfect. Should Phil be expected to make the correct call 100% of the time? I don't think so.

Maybe it is time for Phil to move on, but cut him some slack. As someone said earlier, it is hard to replace someone like Brett Maher. He has missed quite a few games and it has been a tough start to the season. I know people will say that everyone has to do it, but not everyone has had to play new teams the first game of the season away. And not everyone has had the same schedule as the Sixers yet.

Real supporters continue to support the club, no matter what the circumstances. Maybe if we focussed on some of the positives, rather than negatives all the time, everyone involved might actually feel a little more relaxed and perform better, rather than feeling like they have a point to prove, week in, week out!!

Reply #106143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you clearly havnt been to many games have you. watching your team loose friday night after friday night and to add to it watching phil sit there and not call a time out when we put together 8 points in 8 minuter. that was a highlight!!!. its the small things that he isnt doing anymore!...how is it up there in brissy anyways troy....

Reply #106146 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Troy, which players besides Nick Hambour were pursued? Darren Ng? How many returning college players were approached and offered a contract? I don't recall hearing of any.

The club was not facing extinction, it was being sold and there were numerous interested parties. There was no risk of the license moving interstate - it was going to stay in Adelaide. Things might have been a little dire for BASA or unlikely for the Lightning (though they too had multiple offers), but many were looking forward to the day that the 36ers joined the rest of the league in being privately owned!

Reply #106151 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

May be if the coaching staff had atteneded the referees seminar with ALL the other coaches at the start of the season the refs would not be being percived as riding the sixers.

May be if the coaching staff had attended the seminar like all the of the other coaches managed to do they would understand the way the game would be called this year and know what interpretations would be placed on the rules for the season.

Reply #106158 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Jimmy, I just laughed so hard coffee came out my nose. When the hell was Phil in the top 3 point guards in the world? You said "at one stage" - what stage was that?

Reply #106160 | Report this post

Magic  
Years ago

Noti,

We've gone fom being the least fouling team in the league for the past 9 seasons, to this season being the team that fouls the most (as pointed out by John Casey on Fox Sports). The 36ers have not changed their style of play since Phil has been here, yet it seems the way that the refs are calling the game has changed dramatically. It would be a disgrace if NBL referees were altering the result of games just because Phil and Steve did not attend their precious pre season meeting.

Reply #106176 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

wait a minute, aren't we contacting the nbl today to ask why more of a foul wasn't called last friday?

the game changes and all must change with it. less standing around complaining about refs, more adjusting to the game and playing hard.

not to mention that 50% of our team changed this season, and that our most fouling players are:

horvath (44)
copeland (39)
cooper (39)
nash (37)
farley (35)
majstrovich (34)
wheeler (29)
ng (29)

what's that? two of those incoming players are leading the side in fouls and we're fouling more this year? surprise surprise. 5/8 of the top 36ers in fouls are new to the team.

and we're not the most fouling team.

bullets, 25.7 fpg
pigs, 25.1 fpg
sixers, 24.9 fpg
kings, 24.9 fpg
hawks, 24.9 fpg
breakers, 24.5 fpg
slingers, 23.5 fpg
taipans, 23.3 fpg
tigers, 23.2 fpg
crocs, 22.6 fpg
dragons, 21.9 fpg
cats, 21.4 fpg

try again.

Reply #106180 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

cmon doc,

In the mid eighties there was Magic, Isiah and Phil.

Reply #106183 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

The Doctor,

Try in the 1980, 1984 and 1988 Olympic Games and 1982, 1986 and 1990 World Championships where he has been acknowledged as one of the best 3 point in the world.

You don't respect anything he has done and that's fine, but don't disrespect like you always do.

Reply #106185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Professionals were not allowed to playe in any of those. Plus US were not at the 80 olympics and Russia not at the 84 olympics.

If you had said Phil was in the top three point guards during a one week world tournament in which professionals were not allowed to play in, thedoctor might still be enjoying his coffee.

Any, top 3 in the world or not, Phil was a very good point guard. Given this you would hope that, in the very least, he would be teaching and developing guys like Sutton, Ng and Hill to play the position. Is this happening? I don't know what happens at training but there doesn't ever seem to be any times during a game where he pulls one of them aside with some instructions.

Reply #106191 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Oh the irony !

(anon) I find it amusing that you tell everyone to lay off the coach , blah , blah , blah and then in your next paragraph you slam the umpires
Now , if Phil spent more time and energy concentrating on matchups , rotations , staying awake and less on berating the referees then one we would get a lot less questionable calls and two the team may actually perform a little better .
I do agree we are often on the receiving end of some dodgy calls , but hey that's life .

As for your comments about players at this level not needing to be told to buckle up , firstly , everyone should wear a seatbelt and two , do you think coaches in the ilk of a Leigh Matthews , Lawrie Lawrence , Ron Barrassi , etc . didn't motivate the hell out of who ever was under the reign . Coaches who have the ability to communicate with passion and inspiration are the great ones .
If you are rendering a coach impotent then do not give him credit for the three championships we won .

Lastly i would never be jealous of someone who quite clearly has trouble phrasing simple sentences , spelling basic words , and who completely contradicts themselves in a continous motion throughout the very message they are trying to convey .

buckle up sunshine .

Reply #106192 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

Why don't you ring the club (or Eddie as he owns the club apparently) and apply for the job because it is quite apparent you could do a better job?

You wouldn't get it because you have no basketball credibility, I hear you say, that's right because you're a fugly idiot who knows shit all about basketball. Keep pissing insult on legends of this game in this country and basketball will always prosper.

It's a wonder why this sport is going down the preverbal when we have morons like you and other who sit behind a key board and offer advice with out having shown any talent at playing the game, now piss off back to Rosewater TAFE and do your cert 2 in cyber shit stirring.

Reply #106195 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Relax Jimmy, geez!

I did not disrespect Phil once - but I'm sure he would agree that he was never in the top 3 PG's in the world - EVER!

I would be very surprised if you could find one supporter for that crazy idea.

Reply #106201 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

Doc, it was directed at post #106191, not you.

Take Magic and I Thomas out of it and it would be very hard for you to find a better point guard in the world from 1980 to about 1986.

In the 1970, 1980s and early 1990's no international player went to the NBA so you cannot suggest he wasn't in the same class as an NBA player because he didn't play in that league.

Reply #106202 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

This is pi$$ funny.

How many of you were screaming at me what a legend of a coach Phil was when he was beating Magic/Titans teams of mine? Told you back then that he couldn't coach (those TEAMS were good, coach not withstanding) and he would be exposed when he didn't have the roster to do it for him.

I must say, I DID expect more from Breheny though.

:-)

Truly sorry for gloating but it's funny coz it's true.

And NO, you can't have Ninnis. I want him here.

Reply #106204 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

DICKO stick to D & D (Internet nerd) or your other love celebrity survivor.

Shane Heal and Mark Price are fantastic in the art of coaching with 3 wins between them. Bugger off power tool.

Reply #106209 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Jimmy the saddest part is that the Dragons are higher than us on the ladder.

Reply #106213 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Isaac - you say that Slambour was the only player pursued?

So does that mean that Ng, Horvath, Majstro, Wheeler and Copes all just lobbed at the door step and said "let us play??"

I remember breaking the news while I was in Melbourne that Phil was spotted lunching with Wheeler, only to have his signing announced days later.

Reply #106217 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yogee, I was responding to this:

Has anyone forgotten the trouble the club was in prior to the season starting? Yes, that's right, the Sixers were on the brink of extinction. Yes I could imagine Phil's sales pitch to some young guys looking at making their mark in the NBL. Hey, just wondering if you would be interested in playing for us this season?
It was suggesting that we were in no position to make a sales pitch. I was asking what pitches were made unsuccessfully. The names you have mentioned were successfully contracted, supporting my dispute of Troy's suggestion.

Reply #106220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

big woop!! hes sh1t anyways...why wasnt he lunching with ingals?

Reply #106227 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

Why do we want a V8 driver playing basketball?

Greg is good at driving but not so good at jump shooting.

Reply #106229 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Greg??
I think you mean Russell Ingall...
There you go, your joke makes sense now.....

Reply #106232 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

Who the hell is Greg then?

Reply #106233 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Stop Sign?

Reply #106235 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Greg INGLIS is the Melbourne Storm player. You're all over the place dude.

And what I said about Smyth has NOTHING to do about Heal/Price (in fact I don't want Heal coaching the Dragons either). Just for the record, Heal is 4-2.

As for your attempts at Personal attacks.....Mate, if I don't understand what the Hell you're talking about, maybe you should think about it a little longer (celebrity survivor has WHAT to do with anything?).

They got Wheeler by throwing a stupid amount of money at him (sorry Wheels, you just ain't worth it any more, but good on ya for suckering them into paying it). And he's out of there ASAP. Reportedly HATES Adelaide.

Reply #106237 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Is that last line true DICKO?
Or are you speculating?
Just asking, not accusing..

Reply #106240 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doesn't hate Adelaide itself, Dicko, you know that - there are other issues involved.

Reply #106242 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

I guess MacGyver is the host of Celebrity survivor as apposed to your stupid name sake.

Go back and play D & D in prictoria you Muppet better yet go play on the city link and look for a big truck.

DB5  if it was posted it must be true, the forum never lies.

Reply #106244 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Gee Jimmy - you really must be having a very very bad day!

Reply #106247 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Isaac... I know there are other issues involved, but the fact is that he doesn't want to be there. I can't very well tell the whole truth, can I?

Jimmy... You are a twat.

For the record.....I WAS DICKO before anyone had ever heard of that moron. Sadly, my brother's name is Ian Dickson.

Reply #106251 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

Na, I am just having a bit of fun because discussing the likelihood of the impending departure of Smyth will not happen at the very earliest until the end of the season. I know that for a fact that he will not be sacked or fired as much as some lunatics on hear would love that to be.

It will not happen and people will say I don't know shit but I know he will not be sacked. He will be the head coach of the Adelaide 36ers for as long as his contract says so.

So I am just having some fun and posting a few views on how I see things. I am having a very good day.

Thank you -

Jimmy  Sander of the week.

Reply #106252 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Well, thanks for spreading the love.

Reply #106256 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

So can anyone give a bit more detail on whats happing with Wheeler and why he isnt happy being back in Adelaide?

Reply #106259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably disappointed at the 'fans' on this forum continually having a go at him!

Reply #106264 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

No.....not really.

Suffice to say I don't believe that long-term is an option for Wheels and the 6ers.

Reply #106265 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

And no-one is "having a go at him".

I'm a HUGE Wheeler fan.

Reply #106266 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As far as I am aware, any issue that may exist does not relate to the team, coach, club, etc.

Reply #106271 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

ahha - Ok fair enough - well lets hope he can stay injury free for the rest of the season and play to the level that we all know he is capable. Having a fit and happy Wheels in teh team would be a massive asset especially when the results are not as good as we all hope!

Reply #106276 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Respect Phil thats all i say. I must say though it would be good if he showed some enthusiasm.I agree he really needs to invest in the young players and give them an opportunity to develope. I can not stand Goorj and do not like Joyce that much, however they really do invest in the young players. Just need to look at how many of there players when rookie of the year. Anderson, Dench, Worthington etc

Reply #106283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Jimmy, you have no idea, do you?

2. I'd trust Dicko's sources over most.

Reply #106291 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

"Suffice to say I don't believe that long-term is an option for Wheels and the 6ers."

This is good news. He was a terrible pick up and the sooner he goes the better as far as I'm concerned. I'll be annoyed if he's still on the roster next season.

Reply #106300 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Isaac, I stand corrected, I mis-interpreted your words :)

Reply #106311 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Okay some people have actually replied to my original post, others have gone way off topic and just insulted people, well done.
Im going to state why I think Phil is still a good coach.
His relaxed style: Theres nothing worse in any team or position in life than when someone is screaming at you telling you how bad you are or what you are doing wrong. By supporting his players he will give them more confidence than anyone yelling abuse ever can, just look at how well the young stars we lost last year have gone.
Ohh did you guys forget about forman, holmes and whoever else has played for us in the last cple of years. Those young guys Smyth brought to the league in an attempt to rebuild the team. The lead up to this year sucked, I would have ran from the team to secure MY future aswell.
The way he simply states to the players what they need to do and leaves them to go out and do it.

We dont know what Phil says to the players when they are not on the court.
Calling a time out when we are playing badly does not stop players from playing badly.

On another note, Welcome Mal to the club no that hes fulltime. God hope he can push the league to better itself and become more than a small force in Australian sport

Reply #106359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ohh did you guys forget about forman, holmes and whoever else has played for us in the last cple of years. Those young guys Smyth brought to the league in an attempt to rebuild the team. The lead up to this year sucked, I would have ran from the team to secure MY future aswell."

Anon, this is a very simplistic, not to mention naive, take on things.

Reply #106366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon,
We did not lose the young stars from the team this year because they ran to secure their futures as you so eloquently put it; its due in the main because of the person you have been talking up!
And as most basketball people will tell you, timeouts are a very good momentum breaker to be used when the team is not playing well.

Reply #106376 | Report this post

Troy  
Years ago

Isaac,
No I am not sure who was being pursued, but really, who really knows apart from those directly involved? That was not the point I was trying to make. I was just trying to highlight what sort of troubles they may have had prior to the season starting. There was so much uncertainty going on, surely it must have been hard to attract quality players, particularly young players looking to pursue a career. I am sure the club approached some players, my point was what was their selling points? I can only go on what I read on this forum and other websites and have always valued your views as you have a good relationship with the club. Even if I was still living in Adelaide, I doubt that my views would be any different, because as I said before, nobody really knows what goes on behind closed doors. Plenty of us can speculate and claim to have it on good authority, but crikey anyone can say those sorts of things on a website. I was only recalling what I remembered hearing when all the news about the sale of the club was happening. And yes I was happy to hear about and still think that what has happened will only be better for the club. Obviously not straight away, but for next season I think things will be done differently. Like I said earlier, maybe it is time for Phil to move on, but surely the players must accept some of the blame as well.
Anonymous (106146)
I know it is hard to watch your team just self destruct on the court, but it has never been Phil's style to be like boy Goorj or Brendan Joyce. From what I have seen when watching the hawks play, Brendan Joyce always seems to be lost for words. I guess Phil likes to let the guys work it out for themselves, but maybe that's not going to work for this group. If that's the case, then yes Phil needs to change his style. I think what Phil did for the club when he first arrived was great, but someone new with different ideas and a new boss in the way of Mal and Eddie might just be what the Sixers need. Brizzy is great. If only I could get as much hoops info as you do in Adelaide. Very rarely is there anything on TV and once a week you will get a write up in Friday's paper, along with Derek Rucker's column. Imagine what would happen if the bullets weren't actually winning!!!

Reply #106381 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Troy,

From memory, the articles in the paper during the off-season were about Riccardo Greer (complete smokescreen - I don't know if it was even confirmed that he was approached), possibly Kevin Freeman (that plan was abandoned), Nick Horvath was in their sights long before the trip to the US, and that's about it. Obviously they picked up Copeland, Majstrovich and Wheeler successfully, though Wheels took a fistful of cash to be persuaded. I knew they were talking to Ng, and Hambour was (more than) on the cards at one point.

I hear a lot more than I post, but unless I've forgotten something, that was about it for the off-season.

Complaining about the state of the club is like whining about how you look fat and ugly and not even trying to dress up and get out there and see what happens. Effort and confidence.

Reply #106387 | Report this post

Sherminator  
Years ago

Top 3 guards in the world? Pfft maybe in the top 3 guards in the world with a comb over!
I've seen Al Green dominate Phil at the point and he was a 2 guard. You should have seen what Doug Overton did to him!!

Mark Price would also have been considered in the top 3 guards in the world at one time and he lasted 6 games.

I doubt young players will be swayed by a youth policy if the Sixers go that way next year as Phil DOESN'T DEVELOP YOUNG PLAYERS!!

Reply #106433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Troy , when a child wets him or her self, parents get involved.
When players are ordinary coaches get involved.
Whats become apparent is that players built Phil not the other way around.

Reply #106484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Troy,

So what you are saying is that if Magic Johnson or John Stockton considered coaching the 36ers we should get rid of Phil Becasue Magic and Stockton were once considered the best point guard in the World?

Reply #106495 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:05 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754