Anonymous
Years ago

Injuries and Unsportmanlike Fouls

People need to realise that just by calling an unsportmanlike foul on Friday night in the Brad Hill incident, would not have prevented the injury.
The USF is called as a result of the intent or hardness of the fould not the resultant injury.
SA basketball fans need to realise that injuries are going to happen no matter what the referee calls.
Typical insular basketball fans from a state that only has one team!!

Topic #9358 | Report this topic

Campbell  
Years ago

keep talking nob jocky, it was a totally USF and all basketball fans around Australia will back me up with that. You dont need to tell us s.a fans the rules, we are the most knowledgable fans in australia and and thats undoubtable!!!!

BAD POST MATE...... BOOOOOOO

if your gonna say something , work your sh!t out first...

Reply #106002 | Report this post

Lockie  
Years ago

Terrible Post!!!!

Even if Brad hadn't got injured, Abney had no intent on playing the ball!!

Carfino spoke to one of the refs before the game between Perth & Sydney and even he said that after watching the video, he felt he should have called an unsportsmanlike foul!!

Reply #106005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not saying that it was not an unsportmanlike foul. All I am saying is that players will be injured no matter what the referee calls. I think it was an unsportmanlike foul!!!

Reply #106006 | Report this post

Campbell  
Years ago

no your not.!!! YOU SAID and quote
"SA basketball fans need to realise that injuries are going to happen no matter what the referee calls.
Typical insular basketball fans from a state that only has one team!!"

we agree on the usf BUT, you got no idea mate.

answer me this though - if it was brett maher , shane heal , jason smith or the CAT do you think they would of called a usf( REGARDLESS OF INJURY)?? i'd hate to think this would be the case but!

Reply #106013 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

I believe you are missing the point the first poster was trying to make.

Abney fouls Brad Hill = Hill broken arm/wrist

Abney called for unsportsmanlike foul on Brad Hill = Hill broken arm/wrist.

What I read him/her as saying that even if the refs had called an unsportsmanlike the broken arm/wrist still would have occured.

Reply #106018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly Tony Blair!!!!

Reply #106021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The answer is simple:
Don't continue to interpret rules enforce them as written rather than continue this US led evolving rule journey.
3 sec rules that don't exist,illegal scragging which is considered acceptable and normal, screens that are charging fouls, pick up travel in the pro game, bring back the centre ball up, send plays to the rubbish bin and teach effective motion in the juniors and send off players with USF in juniors, with a one strike rule, to send a clear message otherwise call it rugby.
If you wonder why kids are choosing other sports catch a junior DIV 1 in the 14 -18 age groups and watch the intent of some of the participants and their elbows and fouls on lay ups. Basketball it aint and it is condoned.

Reply #106022 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

you idiot anon - of course injuries are going to happen no matter what the call, often times they happen with no call! what most people are feeling/saying is that it was a disgrace that an USF wasn't becuase of they way Abney challenged the shot, which led to Hill being knocked down in such an uncontrolable manner.

maybe if an USF was called, then it may have some impact on the way the players choose to defend, but if it isn't, then what kind of message does that send - IMO, that is why this type of foul exists! to keep the 'sportsmanship' in the game and avoid devastinng injuries like the one that happened to Hill BECAUSE OF the way Abney challenged his dunk attempt.

Reply #106026 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

A disqualification of 5 games would teach the player and the club a lesson. What does Hill get out of this? Pain, suffering and probably the rest of the season on the sidelines. Who came out of this worse off?

Reply #106040 | Report this post

and if he didn't get injured? would everyone still be as mad? no. It's unfortunate, but that's basketball.

Reply #106045 | Report this post

Campbell  
Years ago

abney didnt get what was coming to him, sorry guys but someone needed to be in his face leting him no that every time he takes it to the hoop for the rest of the game hes gonna be on the ground just like he did to brad!!!!!

poor form by all 36ers on the court at the time of the incident. i (and a lot of other people that play any sport) expects your team mates to be there for you no matter what happens. as a die hard and passionate 6ers fan i was left disgusted at the lack of heart shown from the boys.

now i know abney looked pretty concerned and worried for brad hill after he hit the ground ( and i give him a little credit for that) but he still needs to know straight away he's FUC*ED..

being up by 20 then loosing by 20 is bad enough, but i really think that this whole incident is the worst to come out of the game...

at the time, it screamed out at me that we really are not playing or one another!!!!

i'd like to here what people think.

get well brad hill

p.s HILL gets a big shout out for still taking it hard to the rack regardless of the outcome....

cmon sixers

Reply #106046 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, are you saying that an unsportsmanlike foul should result in a five game suspension? Or that such a foul resulting in injury should result in a suspension?

In the Perth-Sydney game last night, Perth were called for two unsportsmanlike fouls for chasing down a Kings break and grabbing the Sydney player across the body - "going for the ball". They were clumsier fouls than Abney's by a fair bit, but just didn't have the horrible finish. If Abney's timing was a fraction different, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Reply #106050 | Report this post

Dr Who  
Years ago

Anon #9538 and # 106006

Thank you, I think we all grasp the idea that calling an unsportsmanlike foul would not have caused time to flow backwards and the injury to unhappen.

Reply #106058 | Report this post

BT  
Years ago

I've been reading this thread and all the conclusion I can come to is that anon has read other threads in relation to the Hill incident which has shown a lot of dislike towards Abney by a lot of people.

So yes, anon, you are 100% correct about injuries happening whether it is called a foul or not. However, you look at all the ticky touch fouls and tech fouls that are thrown around and I think, injury or not, this foul was unsportsmanlike (if the refs are going to be consistant around the league that is).

I also think everyone here already knew this and the reason there has been such irrational and irrate comments have been because of the sour taste it left in a lot of peoples mouths.

This indicates these people have passion for their team and the game of basketball and you shouldn't begrudge them for it. I'm also not a fan of being called insular just because I come from a state which is passionate about its basketball. Think before you attack.

Reply #106086 | Report this post

Campbell  
Years ago

well said bt

Reply #106094 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

point is that the injury to hill could have been prevented ???
did abney intend to heavy foul hill possibly
did he intend to hurt him of course not
point is the decision of unsporting cant be based solely on degree of injury suffered - players deliberately intending to heavy foul got to be penalised more and then poor brad wont be in this position
get well

Reply #106123 | Report this post

BT  
Years ago

If you read my post again, you will note that in my belief, and I have to emphasise that this is "my belief" that, and I quote "I think, injury or not, this foul was unsportsmanlike"

I bring to your attention the following...

FIBA Rules 36.1.4:

To judge whether a foul is unsportsmanlike, the officials should apply the following principles:

* If a player is making no effort to play the ball and contact occurs, it is an unsportsmanlike foul.

* If a player, in an effort to play the ball, causes excessive contact (hard foul), then the contact shall be judged to be unsportsmanlike.

* If a player commits a foul whilst making a legitimate effort to play the ball (normal play), it is not an unsportsmanlike foul.

You will note part two of the above FIBA rule which has stated that if a player causes excessive contact (hard foul) then the contact shall be judged to be unsportsmanlike. Thus I draw the opinion that Abney was making excessive contact and should have been called. The refs were gutless, got it wrong and Hill now has an extreme injury to recover from.

You will in the near future note the increase of Unsportsmanlike fouls being called across the league due to past misintepretations by the refs and enforcing of this rule due to the Hill injury

To summorise, yes anon, the injury could not be averted if an unsportsmanlike foul was or was not called, and yes, if there was no injury to Hill we wouldn't be discussing it in this depth, however, it is a rule according to FIBA and it's unfortunate that it takes something like this to realise why these fouls need to be called unsportsmanlike so that others don't purely foul to "make him earn it" and possibly cause an injury like Brad Hills.

I'm out like FIBA rule 36.1.4

Reply #106140 | Report this post

BT  
Years ago

Sorry anon, I'm a hypocrite, here I am thinking you didn't read my post and then I went back and read yours... Maybe I should read properly before I say stupid stuff.

Again sorry

Reply #106144 | Report this post

Ken Richardson  
Years ago

So an unsportsmanlike foul gets called.....big f'n deal. T'ville wouldn't have cared even if it was called. It was a hard foul that made a statement. The disappointing thing was how pathetically the Sixers responded to it. No heart boys, no heart.

Reply #106145 | Report this post

BT  
Years ago

I like to think it is the principle that counts, I'm a bitter man about that sort of thing (oh well, you can't help the way you are raised)

Reply #106147 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

"at the time, it screamed out at me that we really are not playing for one another!!!!"

This raises a question Ive thought about recently - who are the Sixers playing for?

I doubt it would be the fans. If I was a pro I wouldn't be playing for anonymous fans that are loving me one week and wanting my head on a platter the next. Would be a head fuck.

Are they playing for their coach? Very much doubt it.

Which leaves only one option. Themselves. They're playing to get a nice pay check and a bit of an ego boost (im not begrudging this - everyone needs to earn a living) - But if playing for yourself is the only motivation for playing then you will never have a winning team.

Reply #106149 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti has made a comment in the paper along these lines, suggesting that the team are not playing for each other.

Wonder if he'll get called a fairweather fan next for being critical of the team? Today he's openly stated that this season could prove career-ending for a few players.

Reply #106161 | Report this post

Ken Richardson  
Years ago

...or coaches.

Reply #106186 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:22 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754