me
Years ago

SASI Tour - Where and when?

where is the sasi team playing and when.

Topic #9392 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to wonder in whose interests the SASI extravaganza is for

Reply #106724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are going to USA , France and China with little change from 7000 bucks. Becoming available only to kids with wealthy parents or extemely caring ones. What is on the end of it for the majority of kids that go, I'm not sure
as my post above was meant to infer.

Reply #106736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what teams do they play in the usa and what dates do they play.

Reply #106739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is in the girls side

Reply #106740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are they playing for there clubs friday nite?

Reply #106742 | Report this post

glen  
Years ago

certainly does make it hard for the players who deserve to go but can't because their parents can't afford it!
not sure it achieves anything anyway.

Reply #106796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about a great opportunity to play in another country, and to go watch some of the best basketballers in the world. It can only help in their development as basketballers.
If you are a basketball nut who wouldnt give anything to play basketball overseas?

What is on the end of it for the majority of kids that go????? you idiot!!!!!!!1

Reply #106841 | Report this post

Worthwhile  
Years ago

Being the parent of a kid that was able to go on one of these "jaunts" it was more beneficial as a "Life experience" than a basketball development one. My lad made friends for life who he still converses with.

Correct, the best kids cannot always go but then again some of the best kids don't necessarily want to go to SASI either. That is their choice.

I think Neil G does a great job for those that want to attend. Why do we have to continually "can" programs that are of benefit to those that want them.

It is the same with Pt Macquarrie - some kids want to go, some kids don't. I have a nephew playing now who would have been a chance to go to PM in 15's but he and 3 other of his mates who were asked out and declined as they had other commitments. It does not mean they are not as committed tyo their bball, quite simply they are multi skilled at other sports and time does not permit everything.

I know kids from a top club who got letters to go to PM but have declined because they want to go with their club in january instead - so it works both ways.

Let the kids that want to go to SASI go, don't criticise the ones that don't and the ones that go on trips - Have a great time and enjoy the experience.

Reply #106850 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Worthwhile

Thats the most sensible post on this site for the last month.

Here, here !!!

Reply #106887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its an expensive life experience but good luck to those that can afford it.

Reply #106896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

& grand to watch the best play.I think not. How many of the girls that go on these trips make it to the big league, next to none. Who benefits, SASI coaches on a junket, are you one?
Worthwhile you make some good points but you get the same from a Pt Mac trip in terms of opportunities for life time friends as spending a fortune on going stateside.
The big issue is equity.it should not be money that decides if you go on a trip, it should be merit otherwise SASI is not living up to its charter.

Reply #106909 | Report this post

Worthwhile  
Years ago

lets be positive. You learn more about life and what goes on in the world by seeing the cultures of another country not a resort town like Pt Mac. If you have been overseas surely you can appreciate looking at something that is 2000 odd years old. You can't do that in Pt Mac.

At the end of the day talent and dedication not money gets kids to the institute that really matters.

Reply #106940 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Worthwhile - not totally disagreeing with you, BUT, why exactly are they going to the USA, China and France....on the same bball trip?

Why has the cost gone from early indications to parents of $3 to $4k all up to a minimum of $7k?

Cost is an issue for many parents, and the airfares are not cheap, the longer you are away the more spending money etc etc look at an Atlas and tell me how these 3 countries in any way make this trip legistically sound?

There wouldn't be too many (if any) travel agents who would even try to put together these 3 destinations in one trip in the time they are travelling.

However, the other side of course is as you rightly point out, "the experience".

Having been to all 3 more than once it is no doubt going to be an experience, for them so good luck to them.

Just not sure what any of this has to do with SASI bball?

Reply #106955 | Report this post

Worthwhile  
Years ago

Fiji

See the point re 3 countries and 7k from 4k. I paid 2k for my kid way back. There may be a reason - lets give the benefit of any doubt as we are all positive people.

Reply #106967 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Funding was much better prior to this Labor government.
The budget was slashed by Kevin Foley, thats why trips cost so much now.

Reply #106975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good on those people that going its good for the clubs.what colleges are they playing.

Reply #106995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fiji,

Sorry for needing to explain for the ignorant.

Different area's of the world play different styles of basketball. Europe and the US have different strengths. While Aisa play a totally different style altogether. For those who are uneducated it is actually chaeper to get an around the word plane ticket than one to the US and back if you are doing a group booking.

And not sure that you could call a trip that is into Iowa a 'Junket'. And I'm not sure that paying for your food and expenses like the coahces do qualifies it even being considerd a junket. I am sure that if you do, this would be the only junket into that area each year.

And somebody that thinks you get the same life experiences from a trip to Pt Mac than you do from a trip through Europe is delusional!!

Great experience for kids who have the opportunity.

Reply #107000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a junket #7000. Life experiences are people based not place contingent and when you learn to spell and interact with people you too may develop some.
Its a great experience for kids who can afford the trip but my point is SASI should not have elitist selections based on whose parents can afford what but only merit based selections and such trips are not merit based.
Worthwhile: Are the trips basketball or history trips? Are they to develop life long friendships or develop basketball skills? If they are to foster friendshis and view the Great Wall of China then pay for the trip when your kids finish UNI. If they are for basketball development then SASI owes it to all the kids to make sure the trips they plan are available to all kids irrespective of social background or financial position.This is not the case now. IMO going to Port MaCQ. develops friendships and engenders the bonding that kids need to learn to make the grade in Teams that have to travel later in their careers.I din't think you need to go stateside to develop frienships and SASI doesn't need to take kids overseas to develop their basketball.
What cost 2 grand years ago is 7K now and growing and I don't believe its equitible.
Perhaps Im asking to much for you to put yourselves in the place of parents of kids who cant afford it or don't have the ability to borrow the cash to send their kids but its something we should all be asking.

Reply #107008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#7000, as you can see we are both rotten spellers.

Reply #107009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are leaving saturday so the question remains wil they play friday nite??

Reply #107025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Y not? Get injured friday, then dont play while u sightsee, sit back and relax and watch everyone else play overseas!! Doh!

Reply #107026 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

I cannot believe so called supporters of basketball in SA are bagging an opporunity of a life time to travel 3 countries, to see basketball played in different styles and to compete against these different styles. Lets forget for a minute the cost of the trip. These kids are not gonna get this opportunity or experience playing in Australia and many of them may not get the opportunity to play overseas again.
I coach one of the country kids that leave on Saturday, and i have seen the work that he has been doing to get there. How about ask the kids themselves why they are going the trip of a lifetime?
I only wish i had this same opportunity!

Reply #107037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #104088

Agree,

I would love sombody like yourself to meet wih the state government and the ASC and demand that sport be given more money like it was back in 2000.

Some people just don't understand that the government has massively cut back funding for sport since the sydney olympics.

And your right, we should not allow anybody to go on these trips if they can afford it. (please note heavy sarcasm) Beacause some people might get something out of it.

Reply #107040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:07 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754