Isaac
Years ago

Smyth wants improvement in defence tonight

Spotted this story on the ABC site: Defence to carry 36ers home: Smyth

Smyth says with four games on the road coming up, a win tonight is crucial.

"You know we need to get this one and then we need to grab two or three to get our confidence back," he said.

"We aren't down to mathematical situations but we are forcing ourselves into a corner that we don't want to be in."

Smyth says while this has been his side's worst start to the season in nine years, he will not be making any drastic changes.
I think it being an early Fox game might keep the crowd down, but should still prove to be a quality game. I don't think I've seen James Harvey play at the Dome in years.

Topic #9393 | Report this topic

Philnaldo  
Years ago

The mantra should be "if we stop James Harvey then we stop west Sydney"

Reply #106670 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Philnado, who would you play on him?

Reply #106671 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I'm not Philnado but I would start with Nash on him and run Sutton, Willy & Copes at him.

Reply #106675 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Can anyone answer that question??

Reply #106676 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

The teams defence can only improve.....

Reply #106679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't stop a good player with one defender.

Do some video work, and find out what spots of the floor he is scoring from. Have whoever is guarding him deny him in those positions and make him score from other area's.

Then have a help system thats allows the guy guarding him to channel him to close help defenders. So depending on whee on the court he is, you can always manage to double him on penetration.

Then you need otyher defenders to rotate to open players.

My only problem with this is that Smyth doesn't do video work, and that as a team the 36ers don't play help defence.

Prediction: The 36ers will come out playing tough and just foul people. Smyth will complain that other teams aren't getting called for fouls but the 36ers are.

Result: Smyth will blame somebody else for his lack of preparation and inability to teach a team to play defence. Or in Farleys case, to ask players to play help defence at all.

Reply #106682 | Report this post

Philnaldo  
Years ago

Interesting question, I would start with Farley under the proviso that he plays defense like he did against the Titans in the 2002 semi-finals games 2 and 3, failing that I'm sure we could go with the tried and tested Nash although if Harvey gets away from him then Nash won't punish him down the other end.

Reply #106684 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

The problem with all of that is that Harvey is a very good shooter even when he is off balance or doubled.
Good luck denying him his "favourite" spots - he likes it from anywhere !

The other problem we have will be keeping him out of the lane. We tend to reach in and draw silly fouls because our guards arent great ball defenders.

Reply #106686 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

He tends to shhot most of his shoots from the 45 or the old hammer Heal baseline fadeaway. He is a good penetrator (wouldn't you be with the girlfriend he's got) so you probably need to force him to the top of the key.

Reply #106690 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

I am not 'privy' to the ins and outs of the 36ers preparation but it appears they are missing a lot of the coaching grunt work that Ninnis use to provide the team. On a secondary note, but still very strongly related, what is KB's role on the coaching team?

Reply #106691 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Brad, that was classic, 'shot his shoots'

Reply #106694 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

Sutton = Harvey Stopper

Reply #106697 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Having a major brain fade day today.....my apologies..

Reply #106704 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Charlie, very good point. All I see KB doing is sitting there counting his salary for doing not much at all... He doesn't go out with Phil & Steve on a time out, just sits there like a stunned-mullet

Reply #106735 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

He does go onto the court with Phil and Steve on quite a few time outs, if not all.

Reply #106829 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

Kev and Corey,
What happens on match day isnt the biggest concern. It is what the assistants do during the week in terms of the research on opposition team players and team structure. Just curious if there is someone at the club who does the grunt work (video analysis etc) that ninnis use to do. There are 2 teams on the floor and the more you know and understand the other players and structure, the better prepared you are. Just curious.

Reply #106880 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:52 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754