Nick
Years ago

Singapore Slingers

The Singapore Slingers franchise doesn't seem to have started of their first year very well. Not only are they not winning games but their home game attendances have been very bad. They've been drawing crowds of around 1,000-1,500 (which looks extremely depressing in any stadium let alone the 12,000 Singapore Indoor Stadium). But there are many reasons why this may be. First of all the Slingers have been losing (that's kind of acceptable as they are a new franchise). Another thing is that basketball has basically just been introduced to Singapore and needs time to become more popular and grow. And the last factor is that the Singapore Slingers don't have any Singaporeans in the playing team who the fans can relate to. I think the Slingers need to get some Singaporean players into their line up because at the moment they might aswell be called the Australian Slingers. Perhaps there just isn't the talent in Singapore right now.

Topic #9417 | Report this topic

52-Cans  
Years ago

Nick, remember NBL is the AUSTRALIAN basketball league, not the Singaporian league.

Reply #106981 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Im predicting this franchise will go the same way as hobart devils GC Rollers NTH Mel Giants etc etc et al.

Reply #106989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yer I reckon this concept will be a lesson for the NBL.

Reply #106990 | Report this post

Pitstop  
Years ago

I think it has been a good thing. There are plenty of expats that will eventually go along and when local boys are up to speed they will be playing and attracting their own groupies.There are a number of Singaporeans training along with the team now who look good for the next season so I hope that it works out. New bball programs for youth and juniors are going along well and schools are also profiling bball better.

Reply #107003 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

If a singaporian player was to play would they be considered an import??

Reply #107021 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The games are all on Wednesday night. How is Singapore suppose to take off, when the only time you get to see them is on a school night. They need to look at Chinese Imports so it becomes more their team.

Singapore has its own NBL and surpisingly its also called the NBL>

Reply #107034 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

52-Cans, I understand it's the Australian Basketball League, I'm just saying that it would be good to see some local Singaporean talent on the Singapore team. And nutter, no, Singaporean players don't count as imports for the Slingers.

Reply #107046 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I think it was a little bit rushed. The time spent developing the brand, culture and idea was pretty short lived. Let's hope the money stays around so the concept can be delivered. Compare it to the Dragons, they spent a long time before they started playing, advertising and gaining market acceptance with billboards, webpages and the like.

Reply #107068 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:55 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754