Bizzy
Years ago

Funny Sixers Sign Matt Sutton

The Sixers have announced the signing of Matt Sutton as the replacement for Brad Hill.

"In the end the choice between Matty Sutton and Marcus Timmons is a 22-year-old versus a 35-year-old," Sixers coach Phil Smyth said.

"We could go for the quick-fix but this works for the club in both the short and the long term."

I can't tell you how glad I am to hear that they wanted a long-term fix.

They also make not that they are going to put a new contract to Brad Hill within the next week.

Within a week the 36ers also are expected to put a new contract offer to the injured Hill, who turned 20 yesterday and who still will have his arm in plaster for a further week-and-a-half. Hill would be a free agent at season's end but features prominently in the club's long-term planning.

You can read the full article here

Excellent news IMO hopefully this is the start of thnigs to come with the Sixers trying to invest in young SA players.

Topic #9463 | Report this topic

Axeman  
Years ago

All right, fantastic news!!!!! A big step in the right direction. Now lets chase down Newley

Reply #107430 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I'd much rather chase down Scotty and Ingles ;-).

Reply #107431 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I tend to agree with DJ, Axeman. I would much rather see Scotty come home with Jingles than Newley. However I don't think we will see Jingles back here, he will probably head OS somewhere in the next couple of years.

Reply #107432 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

We definatley wont get newely, he'll play out the rest of the season with the crocs and then will most likely get drafted in the nba. We might have a chance to get jingles, a very, very small chance tho.

Reply #107436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant see Newley getting drafted. I think his opportunity has gone - he had to strike while the iron was hot. I think his poise, decision making and erratic play is being exposed more and more every week. He is a great talent and will be a Boomer for many years to come but I'm not sure he is NBA material.

Reply #107440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wont jingles go the same path as Newely once he gets more attention. No doubt he will go euro, or maybe even NBA.

Reply #107441 | Report this post

Axeman  
Years ago

Cant disagree with scotty and ingles, lets get greedy!

Reply #107442 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I reckon that signing is much better than Timmons. A move towards the future rather than a band aid fix.

Reply #107445 | Report this post

fresh start  
Years ago

Next move to the future - get rid of Smyth and Co.

Reply #107446 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Completely agree with TP.

Have to disagree with anon though, I reckon Newely IS NBA material and didn't make a mistake when he decided to go in the next draft rather than the last one. He'll be in a better position now that he's experienced NBA clubs and is better known in the US after training with 3 or 4 clubs.

Reply #107449 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The risk with Newley is that if you put a good deal to him and he then gets drafted, you're stuck trying to replace an Aussie at the last minute which is much more difficult than trying to find an import.

Reply #107451 | Report this post

Cynical  
Years ago

Gee, what a change in philosophy. Wonder if it's got anything to do with their current record and somebody trying to save their own arse.

Reply #107453 | Report this post

Philnaldo  
Years ago

We went through that went Rogers left and boy wasn't that fun(insert sarcasm).

Reply #107454 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Great news! Good call uncle Phil.

Reply #107455 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Spot on Cynical..you just beat me in saying the same thing.

I nearly choked on my cornflakes when I read Smyth's comment.

I think the saying "better late than never applies", but I think and hope it is too late for him.

Reply #107456 | Report this post

Anon E Mouse  
Years ago

i reckon hemmerling wanted to offset the timmons signing with some 'local' news so pushed to sign sutton. thats my theory..

then theyll get timmons for the season and say hes replacing ng, who has his exams. reality is that timmons would be taking hill's spot and sutton would be replacing ng.

then if the combo works or maybe if it doesnt, ng will get 'injured' at training and timmons will stay. lets see if it happens.

Reply #107463 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I hope for everyone's sake in terms of trying to look to the future that you are wrong.

Reply #107465 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Why have there been so many conspiracy theories about Mal Hemmerling coming out of the woodwork since he took over? Is nothing worth face value any more?

Reply #107467 | Report this post

Anon E Mouse  
Years ago

this isnt badmouthing mal at all. my guess is that smyth wants timmons (see recent news articles) and mal wants SA players to win over fans. compromise.

didnt someone say somewhere that timmons as on his way and signed for the rest of the season ?

Reply #107469 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I don't think young talent has to be neccesarily South Australian. Young talent is enough. If the 36ers picked up a couple of non-SA AIS guys or standout guys from the U20 Nationals I think it would placate some of our fears too.

Reply #107471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep. I heard straight from the horses mouth that he's on his way there today and is contracted for the remainder of this year at least.

Reply #107472 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Which is nine games. Eight if they don't start using him until the Taipans game.

Reply #107473 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

My theory is that Timmons just wants to join the 300 club, and is paying us for the privilege...

Reply #107475 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Oh, and congrats Matt, an opportunity well deserved and I hope you can entertain us in a Sixers singlet for a long time to come.

Reply #107478 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I say, stuff Timmons. Elevate Eric or Dodman, I know I would rather see a young guy get a go and make mistakes than a 35 yo make mistakes.

Reply #107479 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Agreed, we've got aleady got plenty of old guys.

Reply #107482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anybody thinks that Brad Hill will sign with the 36ers again they would have to have rocks in their heads.

He was more productive in the NBL during his AIS stint than he has been since he left. He is being played out of position and given no direction or individual coaching.

Reply #107485 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Elevate Eric? Cmon Bizzy

Reply #107506 | Report this post

that quote doesn't sound like Phil at all. Doesn't sound like any coaching staff at the 36ers, for that matter

Reply #107525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, no way brad hill will sign with us again, and he shouldnt based on the way this year has gone for him. If i were him i know i would be telling phil smyth where to stick it.

Reply #107527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes! Elevate Erik.. I'd love to see him get some court time.. and be given the opportunity Sutts has.

Reply #107541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timmons is hopeless. Saw him play for Sandringham and he could barely run faster than a jog, played no D, and offensively just hung around to 3 point line waiting for someone to create and get him an open shot so he could throw up another brick.

There are plents os guys in our ABA system that would be a better choice than Timmons.

Well done Matty Sutton. Play well this year...get resigned next year.

Reply #107576 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Does Hill sign and get over his injury, wishing he wasn't there, or does he wait and run the risk of no-one picking him up? He MAY re-sign with the 6ers, but I don't know how happy he would be about it. They timed their talks well, didn't they?

And don't be fooled, Phil wanted Timmons.

Reply #107639 | Report this post

Opportunities  
Years ago

Really Bizzy - Erik, true genuine NBL material - now I am seeing pink elephants and blue moons - cough splutter. Sorry, Erik, nice enough person but even as a North jnr, just never saw what the deal was with him as a player. There are plenty of other players out there and gee whizz - they don't all get voted two per club to play for the academy - but there is another problem - to make each club have 2 reps is giving some an inflated view of their basketball prowess and leaving genuine contenders out in the cold.....

Reply #107646 | Report this post

nba  
Years ago

Sixers should give Sullivan a development position. Watching him against the Flames in the Preliminary at Wayville made me wonder why the Sixers wouldn't get him. He is a great 3 point shooter under heavy defence.

Another Eagle who could/should play with the Sixers.

Reply #107694 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I was just making the point that I would rather watch even Eric play than Timmons. I would have liked Slambour back in for period over Timmons.

Reply #107695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nba,
Sullivan is a 5'11 off guard, not exactly sure where he quite fits in the NBL.
Got to love his ability to step up in big games though (at ABA level of course!).

Reply #107702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sullie 5'11" - you're dreaming - more like 5'7" on tippy toes. An intense good player, well worth an ABA spot but sadly the growth god's weren't on his team. NBL standard - you are dreaming.
Not a pure point guard - more focused on shooting the ball at every opportunity and why not - I'd give him the ball in a tight game. This state has only ever produced a few genuine point guards and mostly they haven't gone the next step cause coaches don't know how to develop them and give them the right opportunities in a team.

Reply #107722 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I'll answer my own question here..... Hill will take his chances.

As long as Phil is coaching, Hill will not be a sixer.

Reply #107731 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:40 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754