Anonymous
Years ago

Hands Off Country Players!

SA country has announced in a memo to all clubs a directive not to approach players or parents, at the up coming Country Cup and State Trials, to play for district clubs.
I am absolutely, positively and completely sure that Forestville district and country coaches will not be approaching any of the useful talent they happen to spot, not!
There are probably dozens of good reasons why not to have district coaches involved in country coaching and this is just one of them. Keep your eye on which novice trialees end up
with which clubs. Will sturt and forestville attract a few more despite the memo, I wonder?
But then that couldn't happen cause PA would stop it wouldn't he?

Topic #9471 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

bit harsh to target sturt and forestville directly.

Reply #107560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually the memo says to not talk to players or parents during the try-outs. After that I cant see a problem. The reason is to ensure players are trialling for the right reason and not trialling to impress district coaches.

Reply #107565 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

what's the right reason???

Reply #107566 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

yeah what a load of crap. Why cant District clubs approach kids. What is the rational behind such a request?

Reply #107569 | Report this post

the W  
Years ago

about time we had an actual "SA country" team option for these players in the state champs or similar.

it would give the kids a good chance to gel for nationals and country cup.

however - they may be too strong and may be unpopular in the metro comp if a representative side

maybe if they are too strong a state north and state south option for the district option

IMO

Reply #107570 | Report this post

the W  
Years ago

woody - probably because the clubs that can't get country players voted against it at junior committee - like the one div 1 per club clandestine rule

Reply #107571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same request made last year. Forestville and Norwood abided by request. North and Sturt did not.

Reply #107575 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Woody - because it's an unnecessary distraction. The kids are there trialing for SA Country teams, not district teams.

the W - I think you'll find the memo came from SA Country, not BASA, hence it's not the result of any 'vote'.

(#107575) - have we only got a four team competition now?

Reply #107577 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

You would think that seeing as there are no contracts between clubs and players at a junior level, then it is open season on any talented kid that wants to try their hand at district.

The better quality kids that play at a club (what ever that club may be), the better it is for the whole comp. Sounds like SA country is being a bit precious for mine.

Reply #107593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magpie, the request iniiated I believe from the country coaches. Forestville have 2 who are coaching the 16 and 18 girls for country and 14 and 16 girls at district.
Advantages go to both these coaches and their district club plus to the power group of clubs that can and do flout this request.

Reply #107615 | Report this post

The Early Bird  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure the memo said during the try-outs don't talk to parents or players. If you talk to the players after training then fair game. Ofcourse then you find out what clubs are offerring, like free fees, uniforms or maybe just quality coaching

Reply #107618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Early Bird- are you serious that after the training is okay? Did you think recruiters were going to hit on them during a scrimage? I think the message is stay away!

Reply #107622 | Report this post

The Early Bird  
Years ago

Going by the memo it does say during. Some coaches will saught out the parent and start talking to them. You know the saying first in best dressed.

Reply #107627 | Report this post

The Early Bird  
Years ago

Also give me one name of a player that has made it big with out joining a district club

Reply #107629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think this is more of the country coaches trying to push kids into Forestville and Eastern, than stopping them from playing District altogether.

Reply #107635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a country carnival every year in March, as well as numerous carnivals around the state during the year, as well as the normal weekly games in the local competitions around the state. There is ample opportunity for 'recuriting' country players.

State trials are not the time to be doing this.

Reply #107640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"re: Hands Off Country Players! (#107629)

Also give me one name of a player that has made it big with out joining a district club

The Early Bird, 21/11/06"

Lauren Jackson never played District basketball in Sydney!

Reply #107684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She played for Albury at the Under 14 Nationals. I think this classes as district.

Reply #107690 | Report this post

The Early Bird  
Years ago

For a second there I thought you had me

Reply #107692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, it's not district, it's Rep ball.

Reply #107749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lauren Jackson played in a number of the Albury junior rep teams which are the equivalent to district teams. They play in a confernece of the NSW Country League against the ACT State team, Wollongong, and other country associations.

Reply #107766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This may be off the track... just wondering with the State team selection, will there be Just ONE Team going to Albury??

When is this being Held?

Reply #107804 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

107804, there are always 2 teams from 14s to 18s go to Albury.

The dates are on the SAC Calender as 13th-20th Jan. Any other details are on the SAC site as well, eg trials are 25th and 26th... this weekend.

Reply #107843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheers ITA

Reply #107849 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

Can't see a problem with introducing country kids to district ball. However, I can see another pro/rel thread coming

Reply #107878 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

I havent seen the memo, but i would assume that SAC dont have a problem with country kids being introduced to district ball. I would think that they do not want the kds being distracted by recruiters whilst they should have their mind on being selected for their respective SAC teams..

Reply #107891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the big deal......my country kid was picked up through a country carnival.

In fact, we were very honoured, and proud that a district club spotted our child. And approached us very proffesionally.

Our child is now trying for country state. The district club that picked our child up, gave our child all the confidence to do so.

Being approached....gives these kids a huge boost, to maybe go further. Adelaide district basketball is alive and well in our eyes.

Reply #108007 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:45 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754