Dribbler
Years ago

Could Adelaide have 2 NBL teams?

With the expansion of the NBL next year( Gold Coast ) do you think that Adelaide would have the corporate and general support to have 2 teams. While supporter nos. are down this season (maybe due to poor results), our nos. are still a lot better than some other teams (some reportedly around 2-3000). If we could have two teams, I'd still support the 36ers, but would want to see other teams games as well.

Topic #9518 | Report this topic

cLaRkY  
Years ago

good idea in theory, but with the performance (or lack of) by the Sixers this year, could this lead to a smaller interest throughout the state for basketball in general?

I for one would continue to support the Sixers and would also support cross town rivals if a new franchise was made, but how many other South Australians would do the same?

Reply #108254 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

(Beats forehead against wall)

Arghhhhh!!!! :-|

ShaneD

Reply #108263 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Wasn't MVP sports looking at this?

Reply #108264 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It would be suicide for them.

Reply #108265 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

One side of the argument is that yes it would be suicide the other is that there is 3,000 specatators that used to REGULARLY go to the basketball in Adelaide now spending their $$ elsewhere, could they be drawn upon?

Sponsorship is probably the biggest issue, is there enough $$ to go around all these sporting clubs!

Reply #108267 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I dont think at this time Adelaide could support a second NBL team both from a corporate sense, and also a fan base.

If you aren;t getting enough basketball, and dont already go, get yourself to some Lightning games, certainly better value for money than a 36ers game of late!!

Reply #108272 | Report this post

stef#4  
Years ago

i think a club based in adelaide should be a team that could be the second team. like west used to be cause it works out good for the club like melb tigers they have players in the nbl runnign trainings definately improves teh juniour teams

Reply #108284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no

Reply #108291 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

New York does not even have 2 teams and they have our natioanl population in one city.

Reply #108309 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

no need to fill out one stadium before trying to do it twice...

Reply #108321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a great idea, it would only boost the profile of basketball in this state.

Look how much more coverage the AFL got when Port entered in 97, made good water cooler conversations on a Monday morning.

Imagine the "Showdowns".

If anyone did attempt it, the owner would have to be more pro-active and have more energy then the current 36ers owner.

Reply #108334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This has been discussed on here many times,do a search and you will find more info.

I would say that maybe 10% of people believe it is a good idea.

Reply #108337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and those 10% are deluded !

Reply #108338 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

EASILY

Reply #108344 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

Dont do it. Two teams will weaken the already struggling team we have.

Reply #108345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love how the same group of people that say don't have a go at Hemmerling and Groves because they are investing there money in the NBL are the same people that are saying two teams will not work and should not be tried. Are other people with money allowed to be given the same respect we give the new owners.

Reply #108348 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

#108348 if you have that much money to waste, go ahead and waste it on a 2nd team in Adelaide; however I would have thought that having that much money might mean that the person with it kind of knows how to make a dollar work for him/ her.

Buying the 1st team, let alone a 2nd team in Adelaide is a risky and hard way to pay the bills.

Reply #108366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now would be the time to bring a new team in:

While 36ers struggling

Brett Maher about to retire.

Reply #108377 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Do people seriously think that NBL teams are all about making money!?!?!?!

Reply #108421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that this topic has so many people looking at it.

Maybe another team is what Adelaide needs, get some rilvary into the sport.

Reply #108435 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think you're looking for only what you want to see.

Reply #108441 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

What about a wider concept - 2 South Australian Teams with the second team based in the Riverland or South East?

Reply #108463 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

If you were a developer, would you build a second supermarket in a small country town where a good one that meets the towns population and infrastructure had already been established there for 20+ years?

If enough people started consistently shopping at your supermarket just for something different, you may make a little money.. but the risk alone constitutes business suicide.

ShaneD

Reply #108467 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Kent - all that is about to change

Reply #108515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NETS are moving to NY

Reply #108520 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:36 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754