borat
Years ago

better win WNBL this year because....

Graf reckons Taurausi and Bird will be in caps colours next season....

what a huge line up for the competition....

link

Topic #9523 | Report this topic

borat  
Years ago

i suppose we can just recruit deanna nolan and lindsay whalen !

Reply #108300 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I could be wrong, but I thought there was a 1 import restriction for WNBL.....

Reply #108313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yogee,

I hope not as we have 2 this year in Gahan and Ras.

Reply #108315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks like vince marino better get on the phone to some WNBA managers for 2007-8 if they are on the way !!!

deanna nolan - detroit - awesome

lindsay whalen - conn - erin phillips PG partner

agustus - minnesota - rookie of the year

get rasmussen back

if the caps get bird and tarausi all season - they have the title hook, line and sinker in 2007-8

Reply #108352 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yeah my apologies....should have tried waking up before I posted that....

Reply #108354 | Report this post

Tim Duncan!  
Years ago

salary cap anyone?

Reply #108371 | Report this post

wnba player  
Years ago

SALARY anyone ?

Reply #108393 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Figure if womens b'ball (sport) in OZ could find a decent sponsor and some media coverage (apart from the ABC its woeful)then all the best players in the world - read australians currently playing overseas - will play WNBL.
Note to the Newspaper that calls itself after the nation - YOUR COVERAGE OF BASKETBALL AND WOMENS SPORT IS PATHETICALLY DISGRACEFUL!

Reply #108436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so ur sayin the caps are gonna get sue bird

Reply #108509 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I'd suggest Sween you should be grateful of the ABC coverage....doubt any other channels would want the WNBL.

Reply #108516 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Libertine, suggest you read again. But let me make it totally clear.
The ABC does much to cover Womens sport and this is fully acknowldged.

"Apart from the ABC",(that means the rest of the media)There is compararitely little(woeful) coverage; although special mentionmust go to the "The 'Tizer".

Sponsorship has a strong link to numbers of consumers who are exposed to product. This may be directly through attendance or indirectly by branding through media coverage.

UNLIKE THE ABC, Privately owned media tend to cover sport at the highest levels. WNBL meets this qualification-it is world standard.

Media will also cover sport that is popular. This is the area where the ball administrators / public faces have to do the work. If there is demand, there will be supply.

ABC coverage of Womens sport is high because coverage and sponsorship by other outlets is low. I believe part of the ABC's charter is within reason to provide the public with access to information and events that have a low profile in the commercial media. The ABC is effectively non commercial.

So the point should be raised that if suitable sponsorship and media coverage was generated for Women's basketball such that it became a viable full time professional sport for its participants, then the ABC would not extend the same amount of coverage. Following this reasoning the current ABC coverage of Women's basketball is a symptom of an ailment. Is it, however, a vehicle for cure?

Reply #108584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a question, why would they want to come out here and play?

Reply #108653 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Players may choose Australia for livelyhood, standard of competition and for lifestyle.

Some players get to work i.e. supplement their match payments and contribute to their resume.Some get free rent.
Comp. standard is high.
Quality of life in Australia amoungst the highest in the world. We are a nation of friendly sociable,easy going people.

Reply #108656 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Could it be Carrie Graf might try this as a backhanded swipe at Basketball Australia...

"You wouldn't give me the Opals, but look at what I can do!!"

It does seem that she is ruthless in her recruiting, not saying it's a bad thing, but I have to question, apart from the obvious drawcard of having 2 "names" playing, what will it do for the league long term?

It was tried with Alana Beard, and realistically it did nothing to boost the league.

Apart from basketball tragics like us on the forums, who will really know who Baird and Taurausi are?

Reply #108685 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:51 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754