scout
Years ago

Something about Phil Smyth

Have been in Australia now for 3weeks scouting players and coaches for our program back in the N.B.A.Have travelled and watched and spoken with many players and several coaches. It is interesting to read that your Head Coach seems to be disliked by a few people on this site in the last 3 seasons we have discussed him on many occassions and felt with limited talent his program has over achievied.We are hoping to get him to our program and spend time with us to see if we could influence to consider joining us. A few facts for you to consider in 9 seasons your coach has delivered 3 championships.Cairns Head Coach Alan Black in 14 seasons has delivered 1.Adrian Hurley who coached Australia to a 4th at an Olympic Games in 1992 has delivered 1 in 8 seasons.Lindsey Gaze an icon in our game has delivered 2 in 23 seasons.Ian Stacker former Townsville Head Coach has delivered 0 in 9 seasons.Wollongong Head Coach Brendan Joyce has delivered 1 in 11 seasons.Brian Goorjian has delivered 5 in 19 seasons.Joey Wright from Brisbane 0 in 4 seasons.You have an outstanding Coach his record says so if you think not then all of the other clubs need to fire there Coaches as well.Perhaps you should support instead of blame people all clubs will go thru a tough time look at the Lakers,Bulls or the Celtics no team stays at the top for ever

Topic #9531 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You seem to know a lot about the history of the NBL seeing you have only been here for 3 weeks.
Welcome to the forum Phil!

Reply #108391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I carumba

euroleague is where the gold is at present Mr NBA

Reply #108392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You gotta be kidding me.

Reply #108395 | Report this post

scout  
Years ago

Dear Anonymous, Once again you display your ignorance and ability to read due to your dislike of Phil. The scout said he had been coming here for 3 seasons and obviously is a little bit better researched than you.Hit a little nerve on poor anonymous by giving some facts oh poor little anonymous facts hurt you so much you couldnt even read properly now your true colours are showing

Reply #108397 | Report this post

Roy Bird  
Years ago

give me a job then scout, i got a great coaching record.

Reply #108399 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I thought Phil said he would not be visiting this site again......

Reply #108403 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wait, the scout has posted twice, once referencing himself in the third person. Umm...

Are you staying with a family of one of the players by any chance?

Reply #108406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

scout,

Might have got away with it if you hadn't talked about youself in the third person. Or even if you had of written with some different punctuation in both posts. If you like Phil then just say so. Callig yourself a NBA scout just reeks of stupidity as we all know Phil doesn't talk to anybody about players or developing.

Reply #108412 | Report this post

C'mon guys we should be appreciative that the " scout " took the time out of his busy schedule to share his wondrous and well researched views on our respective league and coaching records .
Being of NBA ilk he would know that the head coaches ability should stand only on titles won , no matter the cattle and also he queries why we have not signed free agents Nash , Hill and Cooper to the six year max contract .
No i am the not the scout , but i could be , scouts honour .

Reply #108414 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Scout, if you are looking for a coach with no motivation that will bring a talented team crashing down to close to bottom of the ladder so that you can secure a good draft pick then he is the man for the job! However, in the NBL this isn't very viable as we dont have a draft!

Also for the record im sure there is many x nba coaches that have won championships yet they are no longer coaching because they have lost touch of what it takes to win games THESE days! but anyway all the best with your future Smyth, oppps I mean Scout!

Reply #108423 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

The scout is visiting HoopsSA trying to find out what happened to Harold Miner.

Reply #108434 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

The majority of posters who have commented in this thread have yet to refute anything scout has said regarding Phil Smyth's potential successor.

The major reason most want him game surround his so called failure in the post season over the last 4 years but no one has been honest enough to actually look at his replacements record.

"A few facts for you to consider in 9 seasons your coach has delivered 3 championships. Cairns Head Coach Alan Black in 14 seasons has delivered 1.Adrian Hurley who coached Australia to a 4th at an Olympic Games in 1992 has delivered 1 in 8 seasons. Lindsey Gaze an icon in our game has delivered 2 in 23 seasons. Ian Stacker former Townsville Head Coach has delivered 0 in 9 seasons. Wollongong Head Coach Brendan Joyce has delivered 1 in 11 seasons. Brian Goorjian has delivered 5 in 19 seasons. Joey Wright from Brisbane 0 in 4 seasons" [posted by Scout]

I said it before and will say it again; the majority of posters do not like Phil Smyth because he did not show Brad Newley or Joe Ingles the respect they wanted to recruit them out of the AIS. The 36ers would not be any better this season if they had both Newley and Ingles as the NBL is a veterans league (Townville and South Dragons are doing so much better then the Sixer, aren't they).

In 2006/07 the Sixers just don't have the players to compete for a championship and with a few different injuries and illness to Brett Maher (the heart and soul of the team) kind of makes it hard for the other to win that that level.

Stop blaming Phil Smyth for the team's poor results; why not start blaming the past administration who almost wreaked the history and tradition the Sixer once stood for in this state. They were basically strangling the life out any success we could hope for with the penny pinching and the extremely tight restriction on player recruitments

Once Phil Smyth has a level playing field (apples with apples) he should be held accountable but for the last 24 months the front office of the Adelaide 36ers has not been stable so it is unfair to suggest his recruiting has been anything like a level playing field.

For the record, Phil Smyth still has 12 months to run on his current coaching contract with the Adelaide 36ers and will be in change next year.

Go Sixers.

Reply #108438 | Report this post

jimmy the scout  
Years ago

the mole pops his head out , JJ jimmy please don't tell .

Reply #108440 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Good comeback Smart arse.

NOT

Reply #108445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im pretty sure if you put newley and jingles in and took out two of hill,sutton,ng or nash that would make a pretty decent difference jimmy.

Reply #108446 | Report this post

KR  
Years ago

JTS, willing to listen till I got to:
"The 36ers would not be any better this season if they had both Newley and Ingles as the NBL is a veterans league".
You would not find a person in this state who would agree with that statement. Couldn't be bothered reading the rest.

Reply #108447 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

This the same scout that was going to get us Vin Baker?

Reply #108451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tons of vets at the Kings, Jimmy?

Reply #108452 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

So according to your theory Jimmy the sixers should be near the top of the ladder since you said it is a "Veterans League"? If thats the case then you are helping to prove that Smyth is a poor coach. Sorry but you would suck as a Lawyer :P

Reply #108453 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Where did I ever say the current squad was good enough to be a premiership contender King James? Brisbane, Perth, and Melbourne are all veteran side.

The point I am trying to make is that the players on the Adelaide 36ers roster this year are just not talented enough to make a difference. The past 3 or 4 year of administration hell has 95% to do with the current predicament and who has been and who has not been recruited to this program. Sure if would be nice to have Brad Newley and Joe Ingles on the team but I still would not see how we would be a premiership contender? Both player are not going to be in the NBL in 2 year so to say we are building for the future is a fallacy because both have brighter futures than the NBL.

Mark Nash is not the same player he was before his last back injury, With a healthy and injury free Brett Maher the side would be a 15 point and 8 assist better side as well as freeing up Farley but Maher has had a shocking run in the last 15 months and this also has to be taken into consideration as taking his input out of any other side in the NBL and they will struggle.

The present side is just not good enough and under the current circumstances no current NBL coach would be able to produce the result same supporters are after. Brett Wheeler, Mark Nash and David Cooper offer nothing on the offensive end. Darren Ng and Lenard Copeland are defensive liabilities and regularly get shown up for this. Basically the team's defensive principals suck and that has a lot to do with the overall standard of layer we have.

The front office situation in the last 24 months has not allowed for any alternative player to be recruited to the program. Wheeler, Copeland, Ng, Nash, Cooper and Sutton (he is a positive) are just not good enough and if it was not for Adelaide 36ers to give them a lifeline they would not be in any side in the NBL, so basically we had to recruit anyone who would listen as talent player with an option left on the first plane out of dodge.

Everyone wants to blame Smyth for the on court failure and the recruitment in the past, Yes it is a very easy out to sack the coach and then most would have an answer to the current problems but if you looked deeper than the on surface problems and identified the true cancer that has been creating on court adversity; you will find it is the front office run by imbeciles over the last 20 years.

I am not going to argue with anyone anymore regarding the tenure of Phil Smyth because by suggesting that the club sacks him is only making you look like the morons you really are. The club has publicly stated that they will not sack him and they will honor his contract, past administrations are the reason we are so crap now, not Phil Smyth.

Reply #108457 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Jimmy - I think you will find a lot of people are more dissappointed with the percieved lack of passion. While I agree this team is not as talented as many others in the NBL this year, even the most talentless hack can go on the floor and show some passion and put in his best effort. To date this season, too many on this team seem to be satisfied with mediocre results - Sure we may be slightly lacking in the playing department but lets at least show we are trying our guts out every single minute of the game!

Reply #108459 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Statman makes good point. Our most passionate player at the moment is Lanard Copeland. That's a worry

Reply #108461 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jimmy, I just want to pull you up on that "veteran's league" business - the Wildcats are the youngest team in the league at an average of 23.7 years of age.

Melbourne, Cairns and Adelaide are all 29+ years.

Other contenders like the Kings, Wildcats and Hawks are much younger.

Reply #108466 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

The Perth Wildcats rely on Ronaldson (34), Rodgers (33), Crawford (27), Redhage (25) and Darren Brooks (24) not exactly rookies are they?

And you know what they say about statistics? Lies, damned lies and statistics

Reply #108469 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Rogers that should be.

Reply #108470 | Report this post

Magic  
Years ago

I think you will find that you are ill-informed in regards to Phil's contract at the 36ers. I've been told by a very good source that he has an option for next year, problem being, it's the club's option not his!

Reply #108471 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Go and check your tomato sauce, mine came right out of the bottle

Reply #108473 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, because Brooks and Redhage at 24-25 are really "veterans". Haha.

If it's a veteran's league, why aren't Adelaide dominating up there with Melbourne and Cairns? Why is a 23 year old scoring 27 PPG? Why did a 21 year old outscore many in the ASG?

Calling it a veteran's league is hardly correct and accomplishes nothing for your argument.

Here are the ages of the top ten scorers in the league:

33, 23, 28, 27, 23, 29, 25, 21, 25, 25.

Not a single veteran in that list unless you want to count Cattalini at just 33 years of age.

BTW, is that the same bottle that thought that $40k over two years constituted a 'maximum rookie contract'? Just stirring! ;)

Reply #108475 | Report this post

KR  
Years ago

Exactly Jimmy, exactly. Believe it at your peril.

Reply #108476 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

BTW, is that the same bottle that thought that $40k over two years constituted a 'maximum rookie contract'? Just stirring! ;)

What? give me a link to that quote, that wasn't from me.

Reply #108478 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A while ago, Smyth and the CEO responded to questions from this forum. One of them concerned the offer put to Joe Ingles. Both stated that the offer put to Ingles was the maximum. It wasn't the maximum. It wasn't even the minimum!

So if your implication on the "sauce" comment was that your "bottle" was Smyth, I was suggesting that sometimes the bottle makes big mistakes!

Reply #108489 | Report this post

Must be the special 'scout sauce' served by the Woodville canteen lady on Vili pies

Reply #108492 | Report this post

Jimmy_the_Snitch  
Years ago

Isaac

Phil was not my sauce and I have never ever spoken to him in person and I have no interest in identifying my sauce (source)

Reply #108505 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Sounds like that chinese special sauce to me - kumofsumyungboi

Reply #108506 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Then your sauce has not come "straight from the bottle", has it?

FWIW, I believe Phil is contracted for next year, but given that he was contracted to a prior entity, Mal may not necessarily be forced to honour that if need be? I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Reply #108507 | Report this post

sauced up  
Years ago

Jimmy . Firstly if lies , damned lies and statistics are not your cup of tea then do not bloody well use them when it suits you .
You make a few valid points in your rants but please do not confuse veterans with last legs , source with the stuff your drinking , or the truth from a good whinge.
sayonara buckwheat

Reply #108521 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

seems to me..still no-one has addressed that phil has brought us 3 championships..more than pretty much anyone else in the league.

He was hamstrung by a management team that was a disaster.

I have askled the question before..who would you replace phil with??

Reply #108545 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

I would be happy now that apositive management structure is in place for phil to have 1-2 more years , if .

1.He takes full responsibility for recruitment and roster management.
That means smart and pro_active contact with potential signings and delivering .

2.Show a willingness to evolve with the game and show some , i did say some passion on game day , towards his players and not just the referees .
Again , this means being pro-active in thought , planning , rotations , scenarios , communicating consistent defensive pressure , i know he can't get out on the floor but i do know what sort of defense he played , brilliant , relentless , smart . And if he can not plug that into all his troops then there are some issues .

3.Embrace the role and the people . All in all i think most fans and folk like Phil , even the knockers . Frustration has boiled over and it needs to be mended to bring back the passion , vibe and most importantly the crowd back to the dome .
Look at Neil Daniher , loathed the circus and had no bar of it Realised if he shows his true self , win , lose or draw people will respect and admire him and the club . I find him refreshing and hilarious and although they hive clipped a few hurdles MFC is brimming with positivity .

Approach the real issues and the results will take care of themselves .

If the passion is not there and change is impossible then maybe it is time for some ninnis .

I know this is a long one and there has been much debate but i had to let it out.

Good luck coach , i hope you bring us another one and if not , enjoy the ride and give the people the " GENERAL " we love .

Reply #108552 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:02 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754