Nutwork
Years ago

Shane Heal - Super Coach

South are looking at re-signing Heal to a contract for next year, either as a coach or playing coach. That begs the question: could that be a possible loop hole in the salary cap? Heal lives on the Gold Coast and probaly will be courted by them, can Cowan pay him massive dollars to coach and lees to play to fit him in the team salary cap.
Might it leave the competition open to say eg: Maher or Cat or J. Smith becoming an assistant next year, freeing up money for another player?
Can Brisbane say to Glen Saville, come and be an assistant playing coach with us next year and we will pay you min salary to play but $250k to coach?

Topic #9563 | Report this topic

Nutwork  
Years ago

lees = less

Reply #108802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have a good point there Nutwork.

I have thought about this in regards to AFL and wondered why no team did it.

Reply #108805 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I think the Hawks went down that path with Shannahan and Mike Kelly. Shanahan was signed as a player, moved to coach to bring in someone else then released to play in Perth from memory.

The cap is a joke, as long as it is there there will be smart people working out ways to get around it.

Reply #108808 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Thankyou Kent (for calling me smart).

Reply #108814 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I could call you a lot of things...Big Daddy

Reply #108815 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I remember the Hawks did so, but I also recall the 6ers trying it the enxt season with Mark Davis, only to have the NBL close the loophole on them.

However, given management of the NBL has changed since then, Heal has always been the golden child of the NBL, and I am sure they dont want to piss off Cowan, anything is possible.

Reply #108825 | Report this post

Tim Duncan!  
Years ago

whast the cap per team? how much do players get paid?

Reply #108830 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The cap is around $770k. Players are supposed to get about $25-175k, but obviously some teams bend rules.

Reply #108831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One team in particular pay their players a cash bonus if they get certain stats in a winning game for the team.

Reply #108836 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

hawks i hear run nowhere near the salary cap, so the hawks didnt manipulate the cap.

Reply #108837 | Report this post

KR  
Years ago

DrB
You are spot on and in fact the year they won it against Townsville were legitimately under the cap. Why?....because that is all they could afford. See, it can be done!

Reply #108839 | Report this post

philnaldo  
Years ago

Yes I remember they won the title the year the Sixers were robbed at the buzzer.

Reply #108914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should the title of this post have read, "Shane Heal, super wa#*$r"?

Reply #109069 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:07 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754