Isaac
Years ago

Smyth says no Bullets plan

After a bit of speculation around the place that Phil Smyth could be Brisbane-bound for the 2007/08 season, the key players are dampening the rumour.

While a decent Sydney source fueled the Brisbane rumour (that has admittedly sparked up a few times in the past) and a Bullets source suggested that Joey Wright was to head back to the US at the end of this season, Brisbane CEO JVG says he has not approached Smyth and Smyth said that he has not spoken with the Bullets' camp.

Further to that, he notes that he is under contract and has talked with 36ers owner Mal Hemmerling about Adelaide plans for the next NBL season.

Here's a bit more from Boti: Smyth to dodge Bullets

Topic #9568 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont want to be a doubter but if there WASa plan for him to go to brisvegas would he say anything differently to the above?

Reply #108864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Smyth contracted to the Eddy Groves organisation or the sixers. Perhaps an internal transfer to the bullets could be on the cards?

Reply #108866 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

as stated by Isaac previously (i think) he is contracted by Hemmerling Basketball Pty Ltd.

Reply #108870 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he would be contracted to another entity actually - BASA, 36ers, etc.

Reply #108872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would he be contracted to BASA? His contract would have been novated with the sale.

Reply #108877 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anon, not true. The entity buying the 36ers would have bought all assets and liabilities (apart from the Government debt!) and would be bound to honour the current contracts. There would have been adjustments to the purchase price accordingly.

The sale would have amounted to an assignment of these contracts to the new owners and I imagine this would have been an express condition of the sale.

Reply #108883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

exactly what i said. it would have been novated to the new owner of the team........(ie not BASA)

Reply #108892 | Report this post

SK  
Years ago

Can anybody confirm that Phil is definitely contracted for next year or is it an option on the clubs side? Always seems when the contract is nearly up the rumours go rife of Phil going here or there and from what source I guess we'll never know!

Reply #108904 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He is contracted.

Reply #108905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My understanding it that it is an option based on certain criteria. At least I hope so!

Reply #108917 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

Doctor, I'd check your sauce, I mean source. See who's operating the catering.

Reply #108962 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

As if you wouldn't want to coach Brisvegas?

Wright will surely only keep his job if the win it all.

Reply #108973 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Issac, I think you will find Phil does not have a firm contract for next year. There is an option for next season but I believe it is by mutual agreement. ie Both have to agree to the extra year before it will happen.

Reply #109063 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, have heard many details since originally posting that.

Reply #109066 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:40 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754