Rueben
Years ago

Lauren Jackson to play NBL

if she had her way.

"One day when I come back from the (US Women's National Basketball Association), I'd like to have a go," Jackson said while attending a Basketball Australia promotion in Sydney yesterday.

Story here about it. Boy Gorj offered her a trial with the queens kings, but does anyone really think she'll be able to handle the speed and/or physicality of the NBL?

Personally, i don't think she would. With her size, she'd be a 3 player IMO. Worst case scenario, Cat drops another 50, best case scenario, Jackson may squeeze double figures from perimeter shots.

Thoughts?

Topic #9570 | Report this topic

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

No, no and no. Im all for equality but if an NBL team played a WNBA team the NBL team would win by a large amount. I dont think its possible at this stage for any female player in the world to play at the NBL level. Dont get me wrong im not sexist or anything but i just dont believe the fitness or speed is there at this stage.

Reply #108874 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Lack of fitness or speed holding her back??
Paul Rees had a very long career, and he had neither of those attributes!!

Reply #108875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think it would be fair and would make a mockery of the league. Im not against a once off or twice off scrimmage game, but its a mens league and the WNBL exists for a reason.....just like i cant go into a womans changeroom.

Reply #108876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is silly!

Reply #108878 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Sillier than just silly.

Prepared to bet its a quote out of context.

A WNBL team would scrimage against an U16 boys team (maybe 18s) for practice - a 6'0' boy can dunk etc etc blah blah blah.

Not gunna happen. Jackson or not.

Reply #108889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reesy had strength and loads of knowledge and experience when defending each opponent.

Reply #108895 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Change the title of this thread to "Lauren Jackson WANTS to play NBL"

Reply #108896 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Change this thread to:
" NBL seeks to make Sydney Kings Basketball relevant - insert marketing and publicity ploy here "

C'mon guys , pretty obvious they are trying to drum up interest in the league. No-one expects Jackson to play NBL do they ? really ??

Reply #108900 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

One way to find out - LJ V Mark Nash in a beep test and the weights room. If LJ wins she's half a chance.

Reply #108906 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

LJ would play way better than Nash!!!!
Sign her up now...

Doh! she is under 40, don't worry about it.

Reply #108911 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure it was Jackson herself that brought the topic up.. I remember watching a WNBL game on ABC at least 3 weeks back where she said she would like to do it if she was given the chance.

Reply #108912 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

a good way to see if she would do ok would be to give her a crack in the fourth quarter of next year's all-star game and see if she can hold her own?

Reply #108913 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Think about it, though.

As far as whether she's TOUGH enough.

Who's scarier as an opposition player? Lisa Leslie? Or David Cooper?

Reply #108919 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't both need hairpieces? Sorry Coops!

Reply #108923 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Didn't Penny Taylor scrimmage with the boys a couple of season's ago?

Reply #108942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if any female could mix it with the boys it would be lauren. Good idea about giving her a go in the all star game, would be interesting. Doubt it will happen though.

Reply #108945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need a point guard, lets sign phillips

Reply #108951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure how she'll do in the NBL but it raises an interesting question..

the best female basketballer in the world surely would be better than some (bench) guys in the NBL? i think she's might be!

i'm not saying there's a place for women in the NBL or that this should be done on a regular basis but if Lauren Jackson plays a few games in the NBL, that would be interesting to see and would gain more interest/publicity in the NBL

Reply #108963 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Maybe her dad can enter into a contract binding her to play in an exhibition game, then she can refuse to do it due to injuries. Years later the NBL can take her to court for breach of contract and she can use the defence that her dad is not her agent. Jackson vs Jackson. Yeah.

Reply #108970 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

It is ridiculous to even think about mixing men and women in one team. The NBL states that the rules allow for clubs to recruit female players, but how many females do you see in AFL teams, or any other men's sports played at national level. There is always a separation of male and female teams. Why are we not discussing the possibility of NBL players joining a WNBL team? I'm not sexist, but there is a difference in physicality between men and women.

Reply #108974 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know if the league is plugging this to get press but it just strikes me as suggesting that a female player could compete in the league -- what are outsiders going to think of a men's league where a female is touted as being a potential competitor? Would the AFL run with news like this?

This is positive for LJ, but negative news for the NBL, IMO.

She's, what, 6'5"? There are players in the NBL who are taller and still would be much faster, not to mention much stronger. If anyone could give it a shot, I'd say Erin Phillips - she could handle the physicality better but would still struggle to defend shooters or get a clean shot off.

Reply #108976 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

If you watch Jackson play she beats smaller players with her size and bigger players with her skill and range. Neither of these will be effective against a 6'5 nbl wing player

Reply #108979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think about the worst player in the NBL (whoever that may be).. someone who's on a team's roster and sits on the bench but NEVER gets any game time..

Would Lauren Jackson be better than that player? If so, she deserves a go in the NBL

Reply #108983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Isaac,

Erin has played Football with men before! She is tough, real tough... that alone what scare the jock strap off half the NBL players!

She is also much faster than half the NBL players. Height is of concern, could we clone a Half Jackson with half Phillips???

Anyone got a photo of what that would look like?? He He He.

Reply #108984 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I don't think Lauren would even be close to the worst player in the NBL. Maybe in terms of talent, but not in terms of strength, speed, jumping ability etc.

Reply #108990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let her trial... if she's good enough she can have a spot, if she's not good enough then she has tried and no-one will die wondering.

Whats the harm really - people shouldn't make excuses about changerooms etc. There is always a way around all this kind of thing.

When you have been the best player in the world you need to find something to motivate you, and another challenge to extend you. Even if its not NBL, but another men's competition there is no reason why LJ shouldn't give it a go. Playing with and against better players is only going to make you better. If we want to be able to continue developing our elite players here in Australia it might just be a good step to take.

Reply #108992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

excellent point! AND women play 'smarter' basketball to compensate for less athleticism..I think she would suprise a few guys as would erin, think the guys would be scared they would hurt their ego's though, in the chance that they 'got beaten by a girl'....sorry guys, just my POV

Reply #109026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People, be realistic. Think about it - Erin and the Lightning girls scrimmage with U18 Div 1 boys teams, and have pretty close contests. That is about where women's basketball is at. Obviously girls like Erin and Lauren are another step above this level, but NBL? I don't think so.

Reply #109030 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

".. AND women play 'smarter' basketball to compensate for less athleticism..I think she would suprise a few guys as would erin, think the guys would be scared they would hurt their ego's though, in the chance that they 'got beaten by a girl'....sorry guys, just my POV "

-- lol. I think if you put Erin Phillips in a game against someone like Darnell Mee or Darryl McDonald she would have about 20 turnovers. These guys are faster than her, have long arms and would bully the hell out of her on the offensive end too.
I dont really care that you say she has played football, quite simple she would get smashed around. Imagine her running full tilt into a screen set by Bobby Brannen ? I can hear the ambulance sirens already.
I am impressed by the evolution of womens basketball skill-wise, but please dont get carried away.

Reply #109034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its all in fun skyhook, no harm inteaded. Naturally Mee and McDonald would bully the hell out of erin and she would create turnovers, but think about the size of some of the women in the WNBA, some arnt that much smaller than our nbl guys. Im not for or against women in nbl, but dont see the harm in having a fun scratch match or something to raise money. Perhaps they could put all the retired 36ers together mixed with the stars of the wnbl...?

Reply #109036 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Me being serious now....I agree with Skyhook on skills difference, however there is no mention by Erin of any attempt to play NBL.
LJ should trial and trial soon if she is serious. LJ's peak athletic years are about now. Three years time - further injuries and general wear / tear - no hope. I dare LJ to trial soon, I dont think she is serious.

Reply #109038 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Well Sween, if you dare her to do it then she doesn't really have much choice does she? Will you be raising the stakes to a double dare if she refuses?

Reply #109121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you think women play a smarter brand of basketball than the men #109026? I see the women running more basic offensive sets, making more silly turnovers int wnbl than I see in the NBL. I'm not saying that men play smarter, because the WNBA women are mostly smart players. But what draws u to the conclusion that women play smarter than men?
A guard would have more chance playing with the men than a big girl like Lauren would simply because of size and strength. And yes I think that the worst player in the nbl would do better than lauren would in the nbl. Again a size/strength/athleticism thing. She may be more skilled than some of the men but she wouldn't cope.

Reply #109158 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:44 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754