Isaac
Years ago

NBL and the Summer Season

This was posted in another thread and I thought it could warrant its own topic.

Could the low attendance also be something that has been evolving since the change to summer season?
Daylight savings sees you easily lose track of time, great weather and wanting to spend time outdoors and so on. I loved the winter basketball season, gave me a reason to get out in winter, whereas in summer, I want to be outdoors. I have season tickets but quite honestly when it was winter I can't recall missing more than one game in many seasons but in the past few years, I have missed heaps - especially leading up to xmas and the holiday period after. Am I the only one?
Thoughts?

Topic #9648 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

I wasn't into the basketball in the days when it was played in the winter but agree that it is easier to make a commitment to it in the winter months. I thoroughly enjoy going to ABA games in the winter months together with overcoat, scarf and gloves because it is so freezing cold in the stadium but acceptable because that's what you expect.

The problem with winter is that it competes with football and football would definitely take fans away from the basektball.

Reply #109939 | Report this post

seen it all  
Years ago

EC - fair comment and your last sentence was part of the marketing they used when they 'sold' the change of seasons to the fans.
Interesting though back when it was a winter season it was always packed, tickets all put sold out for each and every game and I still got to go to the footy. Given, sometimes there was a clash, but IMO the main season of basketball is winter for juniors / state based comps and therefore you have a greater enthusiastic support base - captured keen audience. Also, there are still clashes with other sports - summer sees long days at tennis or cricket etc and after standing out in the sun all day, sometimes a relaxing ale at home with a few friends has a certain appeal when you don't finish up from summer sport before 6:30ish or so.
Bring back winter.....

Reply #109949 | Report this post

seen it all  
Years ago

Also - mid week games just don't work - it certainly doesn't have an appeal to families with keen young basketballers nor those of us that work - I think most of us are putting in tougher hours than a few years back. It is winter season, weekend games all the way for my vote.

Reply #109950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I seriously don't have time for Kings games in December.

Reply #109959 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

My main problem is midweek games, I look at the program every season to determine if I will buy season tickets. When a third of the games are wednesday nights (plus New Years Eve which I have never understood) I can't consider buying them (because I play social bball wednesdays). It is easier to hand off your season tickets for a weekend game if you can't make it for any reason than a Wednesday.

Reply #109965 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754