Mr White
Years ago

No Phillips No Lightning?

The Canberra Capitals proved a midseason "hiccup" was just that tonight as they turned around a disappointing weekend away in Melbourne to outplay league leaders Adelaide Lightning.

The Capitals made an undermanned Lightning look like premiership pretenders as they scored an ugly yet convincing 81-54 victory to keep their perfect record at home intact.

The Capitals, who surrendered the top spot with two losses last round, proved their title defence was back on track as they made mistakes in defence and poor shooting precentages a thing of the past.

Captain Kellie Abrams and Jess Bibby got the Capitals off to a strong start in the first quarter and a good defensive effort lead by Donna Loffhagen laid the foundation for a convincing win.

Capitals coach Carrie Graf said she was happy to come away with the win but there was still plenty of improvement left in the team.

"It's good to get the win but that's got to be one of the ugliest games of basketball I've seen, I question whether we got better today but, hey, we'll take a win over Adelaide any day," she said.

"We had to get this one, that was an absolute must, to level up the series with Adelaide and we've got a chance to level up the series with Sydney and go into Christmas in a good position."

Adelaide, who came to Canberra for the first time in a year, stuggled without Opals star Erin Phillips and WNBA recruit Kristen Rasmussen, both out though injury, but coach Chris Lucas refused to blame the absence of his two starting players on the loss.

"I don't want to use excuses of players being out, everybody has injuries and you just have to deal with it but all credit to Canberra they played well tonight, they were obviously stinging from last weekend," he said.

"They took us out of our sync offensively, defensively they were pretty solid all over the floor and Kellie Abrams and Jess Bibby were sensational in the first half and sometimes that's just the way it goes."

Tracey Beatty won the tip-off against Adelaide's Rebecca Duke to get the repeat of last season's tense preliminary final started.

The signs looked ominous early for the Capitals, who struggled to convert shots at goal in their Melbourne doube-header last week, and some missed attempts from Bibby and Bishop gave the Lightning a 4-0 lead.

But Abrams shot her first of two succesful three-points for the quarter to close the gap and the Capitals stepped up their offence and accuracy to steal a 14-8 lead with five minutes gone on the clock.

Abrams and Bibby continued to trouble Adelaide's defence to finish the quarter with 12 and 11 points respectively and help the Capitals to a 12-point advantage at the first break.

New Zealand recruit Donna Loffhagen was persistent in defence for the Capitals, forcing a lacklustre Adelaide into turnovers and stealing posession for her new team.

The Capitals continued to extend their lead in the second quarter. Bevilaqua and Bishop both scored their first points of the match while at the other end of the court Adelaide struggled to overcome some tight defence from the Capitals.

The Lightning finished the first half with 29.7 per cent of field goals counting and trailing 53-31.

Comparatively, the Capitals had 50 per cent from the field and converted nine of their 13 shots from the perimetre, a marked improvement from last week's matches, in which they had little more than 20 per cent at the half-time break.

Not much separated the sides in rebounds, a good sign for Canberra coming up against arguably the league's best side in that aspect.

It was a slow start to the third quarter as both sides stepped up their defensive pressure.

Adelaide got its first points of the quarter with nearly four minutes gone when it was awarded a free throw and it finished the quarter with just eight points.

The Capitals had the luxury of playing their bench for most of the third quarter and still managed to extend their lead to 67-39.

Adelaide began to make inroads in the first half of the final quarter and scored its first three-points of the game to close a 30-point deficit to 26, but it was not enough to unsettle the Capitals, who held on for a 81-54 win.

At A Glance

Canberra Capitals 81 (Kellie Abrams 15, Jess Bibby 15, Tracey Beatty 13) bt Adelaide Lightning 54 (Tracy Gahan 14, Jessica Foley 14, Sam Woosnam 8). Crowd: 850

By Julia Whyte for WNBL.com.au

Topic #9759 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Hard to be surprised as Phillips puts up stats in every category, on offense and defense - remove her from the equation and they lose the engine of the team. Having Rasmussen out as well wouldn't have helped either.

AIS today and then Phillips should be back for the game after that I think.

Reply #111422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmmm no phillips no lightning, well why didn't she play? you cant play 38mins against the AIS and the next week have tendonitis? why didn't she rest up in that match not one of the biggest games of the season for her team??? just a thought.

Reply #111442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'm sure if erin could of played she would have, as everyone knows erin is not soft, she has been playing through pain for 5 weeks, so give the girl a break, prob better to rest her now than when the finals come up...just a thought.

Reply #111444 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

i heard she didnt want to travel, wanted to spend time with ivan at home, unconfirmed rumour, but the source is usually spot on

Reply #111455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

benj your an idiot and not fooling anyone.

It's always exciting to think you have a scoop but in this case you've just ended any chance that someone will believe a post from you in the future. Well Done.

Reply #111459 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

I,m thinking a quiete Bibby = win over Canberra.

Reply #111461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. both being professional athletes, i dont think ivan would let her do that and 2. i think erin is far too dedicated to her team mates....but just because she is injured i thought she would have still travelled with the team?

Reply #111462 | Report this post

Rokin!!  
Years ago

Budget wouldn't let her travel with the team!

Reply #111463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hardly the biggest game of season - the flames game will be - to define the split.

adelaide are ok without erin - brilliant with

better make the most of her last season here - if she has any sense she will go to europe after wnba season and make some sort of career whilst she can - and then finish up here.

erin plays a high injury prone type of game - she is tough and a stand out - doing the things we like to see - but it all comes at a cost

the kids a gun - will win player of the year and adelaide will go closer to the title than they have been for a while - they might just make it their year

Reply #111469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Q - why take cannon when there are other guards in the roster ?

Reply #111470 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

If people dont believe me i dont care, ill just post anonymously like you in the future - that way I will have heaps of credibility.

I was just saying what I was told, the person who told me, doesn't post on here but he definitely voices his opinion about basketball regularly on Thursday at least ;)

Reply #111476 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

So #111459 read the Advertiser Article what do you think of that.

Pity Boti didn't tell the full story.

Reply #111502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bej you are correct!

Reply #111537 | Report this post

craig  
Years ago

well benj..
if boti did tell the full story he would have said how erin simply didnt play because of an on-going injury in which she has played with through out the season.
Geez mate, give the poor girl a break. she is the only one in that team that plays pretty much the entire game without a break and yet the one time she needs a weeks rest to get her body right, everyone attacks her.
I thought the article was completely and utterly out of line and untrue for that matter.. and i know this from probably a better source than you!

Reply #111656 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

right so craig why has she not seen any of the clubs medicos about it??

Reply #111662 | Report this post

craig  
Years ago

thats the thing benj, i know for a fact that she has so you shouldnt believe everything that you read!!

Reply #111692 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

ok thanks for that dr craig - yeah i forget about not believing everything i read - the thing was it all matched up and the fact that it was a quote from the coach (well I am pretty sure it was - havent got the article in front of me and for some reason the advertiser website isn't working here at work at the moment) it held full credibility - it still doesn't change the fact that as of the time they left for the road trip - she hadn't sought medical advice on the injury - doesnt that seem strange

Reply #111696 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

I don't know if Phillips did or didn't fake it. I'd be questioning the replacement.

No Ras, so we will be a bit on the short side. No Phillips, so we have no hard hiting aggressive point scoring guard.

Replacement; a 5 feet 1 inch non agrressive, play it safe, won't trouble the score bench player in Cannon. I'd be questioning the coaching decision.

Reply #111832 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:52 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754