In the Know
Years ago

Problems at BASA

It doesn't surprise me that there are problems at BASA after reading the Advertiser today. Just curious to see who down there is not getting paid?

Topic #979 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

It sure sounds to be getting ugly.....seems there are more problems than just getting people to get to a game.

Reply #10853 | Report this post

Once again the Sixers admin are making headlines.....

Teresa Whitehorn gets shoved and told to F... off, so she is going legal.
Now she knows how Scott Ninnis felt when he was told he was no longer required.
How ironic that Scotty was seemingly replaced by Teresa and that super marketing team.

How about this for a marketing plan "Quilts for Tickets".
For every fully paid ticket you get a summer quilt. This will appeal to all those who have to sell their house to buy a ticket. At least they can sleep in the parklands in some comfort.

Reply #10857 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #10858 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

You almost got it right boots....

Actually, the plan should be bring a quilt and exchange it for a ticket...

Then all the players will have linen and be able to sleep in comfort.

Reply #10859 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

No 1. WHY are we supplying an already paid player furnishing accessories. I can maybe, maybe understand furniture, but with the money they get paid, cant he buy his own? Not having a dig at Willie Farley, just maybe BASA should work out how much of our junior money is spent on other peoples houses.

No.2 The only way for the 36ers to get marketing is through a pay dispute? This article will cause more marketing for the "BASA owned 36ers" then what the marketing team have done. Maybe Teresa drew the short straw?

Reply #10865 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Bootney you know i am a fan of yours but Teresa has been at the sixers for many years and is not part of the new marketing team.

Reply #10867 | Report this post

My bad Kent. Apologies to Teresa, keep punching.

Reply #10868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Welcome to the real world Rookie!

Although your jibe suggesting it's YOUR Junior money simply isn't true.

Reply #10871 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #10874 | Report this post

the preach  
Years ago

What an absolute media beatup. This kinds of things happen in the workplace all the time. You sort them out and solve them internally. Who really cares!

Reply #10878 | Report this post

BouncePass  
Years ago

You would have to say that the only reason this was brought to the media's attention was to aid with the pay dispute and highlight to the boss that there are issues that require immediate attention. Not such a bad way of going about it, unfortunately not what the supporters want to be hearing at the start of a season.

By the way, what sort of a bloke 'shoves' a female? Never heard that happening in the workplace, have you "the preach"?

Reply #10904 | Report this post

the preach  
Years ago

No. But I have to admit I have seen a fair bit of girl on girl action. Physical altercation that is.

Reply #10906 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

If that sort of thing happens in your workplace, thank god I dont work there!!

A team of 18 people at my work has just been dissolved, and everyone placed into different teams due to verbal only between about 4 females. Physical altercations is not only wrong in the workplace, but also highly illegal.

In regards to Isaac's comment about Farley's apartment, all deals made with players have been confirmed with the NBL.

Reply #10911 | Report this post

hopeless  
Years ago

he earns enough money to buy his own quilt - if the unit is furnished it is furnished he wants extras pay for it himself

Reply #10923 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #10936 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Why would BASA sell The Dome to a private organisation.

They still owe the Government 10.5 million for The Dome, not to mention they would then need to lease it back for all the games there.

The Dome is BASA'a only assett left, what happens if they sell that and then still have financial problems. It would be the end of basketball in SA.

However I would not be surprised if the Lightning may either be offered to a private entity, or just closed down in the near future.

Reply #10944 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Its only an asset if its worth something or worth more than they paid for it. Until they own it freehold or they sell it and make money on it then it is a drain on juniors.

Reply #10967 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Chatted with an insider at BASA today and the article is confirmed as true. The backpay is confirmed as true. The quilt is confirmed as true. In fact, to quote Spandau Ballet (for those of us that can remember the super group) .... it's all true!

Very sad. The pay situation is not new .... but at least they're getting their protocols and processes worked out. Eeeek! Priorities!!!

Reply #11004 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

It's not just a drain on juniors (and I wish people would stop using the emotives of juniors for everything).....the debt of the ownership of the Dome is a drain on anyone who has any slight connection to Basketball in SA. We all know this, BASA knows this, so why harp on it.

The debt was an issue that came up with my meeting with BASA management on Thursday, and they are very reluctant to pass on any more of the costs to juniors / social players through increased fees or game charges. However, they do have agreements with the Auditor-General in how to repay the debt, and thse are legal and binding agreements, that must be met.

The Auditor-Generals' report into BASA is doe out in the next few weeks, and for those people who actually have a bit of accounting or business knowledge, it could make interesting reading.

Reply #11018 | Report this post

Chump  
Years ago

Is the Auditors report made public? Where can we get a copy? I would definately like to scan my eyes across those figures.

Reply #11022 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I am not sure if they are made public or not. If the report has to be tabled in Parliament then it would be available through Hansard records.

I would think that if the audit has been done by a Government department, that it would become available to the public....but of course it is dealing with a private enterprise's financial details, so they may not release it, or may block a lot of the information.

Reply #11031 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

I agree with u Issac, if he has been promised something it should be delivered, but why was something as ridiculous, time wasting and more moeny consuming (not his) promised anyway?

Reply #11081 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Because you keep your players happy and they're easier to negotiate with and work harder. Nothing prima-donna about it. It only blew up, I suspect, because of tense times at BASA and potential staff disagreements. I don't think this should reflect on Farley at all.

Reply #11096 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

I heard there was a media blanket on this - but because it was a quilt - there was no blanket !

Reply #11193 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754