New
Years ago

Umpires Rankings?? Good or Bad idea??

I understand that in Victoria the umpires coaches get together and create a list in order of the best performing umpires and they are released on the ref website.

I think it used to happen here too but the idea got axed.

As an up and coming Aba umpire why wouldn't I or you want to know where you rank in relation to the people who get more and better games.

I want to see what others think about this.

I know many refs and some Aba refs post on this site.

MP?

Should they fall in to line with the victorians?

what are the advantages and dis advantages of this system?

Topic #9793 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

New,

There is a ranking system which is used by the heirachy as a guide for allocating games.

It isn't made completely public because referees in this state are too precious and couldn't handle seeing themselves ranked below those they think they are better then.

Another factor would be the sub standard evaluation process here in Adelaide.

IMO referees aren't seen enough by neutral, unbiased and professional evaluators to ever have a fair rankings system.

The current list is based more on the personal preferences of the evaluators who have an imput and the reputation of the referee in question rather than anything Performance based.

Reply #111803 | Report this post

New  
Years ago

so you are saying the credability of the coaches is bad here.

I would have thought with the following people the standard would be equal to victoria?

Michael Butler
Geoff Weeks
Caroline Tsakalos
Trevor Baker
Bob Vink
Greg Love
Chris Clarke
Michael Birkin

These are 8 I can think of who have evaluated ABA games the past two seasons.

I admit Geoff and Caroline not so much but maybe they could do more? and also be part of selecting

Also even if you didnt agree with the ranking at least you would know where you sit and can work to improve your performance.

Maybe they should also have a top 5 ref's who are not on the list but are close.

They could work in div 2 games but at least they would know they are being looked at for aba call up???

Reply #111805 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Latest rankings show Geoff Weeks as No.1.
Followed by Caroline Tsakalos, I forget who's 3rd & Andy Filmer, 4th.

Luke Smith also tells me he is in the top 20 (top 10 if you dont count the NBL refs)

I guess publicly releasing these rankings could have a negative effect more than positive. It may encourage other refs to try and climb the ladder, but there is likely to be endless arguments between refs, everyone basketball minded who knows who they are.

Hey, personally, id be interested to know the rankings. But there's things we dont need to know, we just want to know...

Reply #111806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 4 of your 8 do evaluations.

2 on your list never have officially done evaluations.

Also when's the last time you saw one of the above evaluating at Reserve, Div 3 Seniors or Junior matches?

We have too few Evaluators in S.A. and those that are involved either don't have enough time, or don't give enough time to those who need it.

I stand by what I said; no point publishing rankings when they're based on personal opinions a select few whom have a bias to certain referees.

And no I'm not a ref.

Reply #111807 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Maybe we could release a list rannking all the players..and the coaches?

No?? So why would we publicly rank the umpires? Do you get ranked at work on your performance reviews...are you told you are #42 employee, and your standards are way below #1-5?

Sure there needs to be some sort of ranking and hierachy structure to make sure the best refs are being allocated to the upper standard games, but to publicly release this would only lead to public humiliation of a ref.

Imagine a ref, who when last rankings were put out was #45, and has made efforts to improve, and is being acknowledged with better games. They make a bad call during the game (after all, they are human) and get the "now we know why you were #45" jibe from the bench.

Alternatively, a ref who has been in the upper echelons, is starting to wind down due to injury / age etc, and you see them start to drop in the rankings.....is it REALLY fair?

Also, how about how the players feel. "Oh my game is only important enough for #12 and #18"...yet could be an incredibly important game to the team or an individual player.

Not a fan of the idea at all.

Reply #111822 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

I cant see any benifit of making such a system public. It would be used more to ridicule, than for any good.

Have such a system, by all means, but it should not be made public.

Reply #111827 | Report this post

mp  
Years ago

New,

I can't really comment more on this subject. This is probably not the place to discuss this subject as I (and you)may have to ref with the other guys and girls on the panel week in and week out.

If you are an up and comer to the senior ranks, if you speak to the referee director or evaluators, ask them what you seriously have to do to improve and they will give you a fair assessment if you are able to take the criticism constructively.

Reply #111829 | Report this post

Ptrsn  
Years ago

Yogee- what about the player points cap in the NBL? The player polls that rate coaches ?

Reply #111841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit of difference between the NBL and local ball champ.

Reply #111844 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

nikki ireland!! a really good ump!! i have seen her face some parents/coaches that try and intimidate her and she has held her ground soundly. I would have her ref any of my games if i had the choice. great poise and good knowledge!!

Reply #111852 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Yogee, have to agree with you there, it's all well and good for the top ranked guys but if you're down the bottom of the rankings that's got to be pretty demoralising.

Ranking of statisticians on the other hand....

Reply #111856 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

the top 10 or so hardly care for anything less than div 1 / ABL so thats why you don't see them anywhere less. they get first pick for all the big games.

why sweep the floor when you can sit in the CEO's chair

Reply #111857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is the rankings are only comparing you with other umpires in the state, not with any umpiring "standards". If you're in the top 10 it doesn't necessarily mean you are any good. Given that Filmer is #4 then anyone outside the top 3 is clearly an ordinary umpire at best.

Reply #111884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New,

If you want to know where abouts you are 'ranked' pick up the phone ring Neil or Trevor.

If you don't know those guys well enough, try calling Phil, Andy, Nathan W, Benn, John, Wayne or Nathan D. As these guys would probably be able to help you out just as well!

Reply #111891 | Report this post

New  
Years ago

Anon 11181 If I wanted to know where I was ranked I would ask those who know.

My point is there used to be a system of rankings and they do it in Victoria.

I simply wanted to find out what other people think of the idea.

And "What the" I want to challange you on your comment about the top 10? I have seen many of the top umpires in SA out helping develop junior and senior umpires at verious stages.

Especialy at my local stadia

Reply #111897 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Nice try billo, but no bite...

:)

Reply #111916 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

Is the goal of umpiring to be ranked as best umpire or do do your best week in week out?

If it is the former then you are in it for the wrong reasons. If it is the later then ranking is irrelevant to everyone else other than those allocating games.

Many moons ago when I played amatuer football the captain and coach of each side provided comments on umpiring performance on the back of the score card. This provided the umpire with immediate feedback and also enabled consistent issues to be monitored and addressed. From expereince most coaches and captains approached this in a constructive way as you never knew which umpire you would get next week.

Reply #111932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New,

It's not public information, never should be.

You should get an understanding of where everyone is rated in relation to the finals appointments at the end of the ABA/DivII season.

I would also say to you, as a new, up and coming ABA referee. Don't try and change the system until you've seen why it is the way it is. As well as, how about talking to other referees on the panel rather than inviting public comment from them in this forum. You're more likely to get an answer in person than you ever will on here.

Reply #111967 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Two things you can probably do here NEW.
1. Work hard to improve so you can position yourself for an ABA GF.
2. Once you get to the top, you might be able to change the system to reflect your ideas.

Problem is, by the time you get your GF you wont want a ranking system or anything else that may make someone else rate better than you . This might knock you off the perch that you have worked so hard to sit upon.

Reply #112222 | Report this post

Luke Smith  
Years ago

hey Neptuneboy,its top 25, havent cracked the top 20 yet.
Some refs know where they are in the list, some dont. The last time the lists were released there was i big bitch about where people were. the way it is done at this moment in time is the best, because as a group, every referee sees themselves as equal, no matter who you are or what you have umpired.
There is no reason for people to see the lists. its not going to improve your number because you think you're in the top 50. every ref should strive to do their best in whatever game they are umpiring in, no matter if its a ABL grand final, or a social game.

Judge every game on its merits.....

Reply #112315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are you and what have you done with the real Luke Smith!?

Reply #112320 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754