Isaac
Years ago

DMac: Powell in the wrong league

It really has been Carlos Powell's week so I can't see why we shouldn't continue the noise on the NZ import.

Darryl McDonald on Powell after he had 50/9/8 and brought the Breakers back from a 20 point deficit to lead by one with under a minute to run:

"And what can you say about (Carlos) Powell, he's in the wrong league I tell you. He's in the wrong league if you ask me."
Powell definitely has his eyes on the League, but is he a chance? On June 16, the Director of NCAA Scouting said of him at a Pre-Draft Camp:
Powell ended up as one of my personal favorites of the entire camp. He definitely has the tools to become an NBA SF. Powell boasts an NBA ready body, an explosive first step, a decent handle, and an improving jumper.
David Barlow saw Powell at the Dragons game the same weekend. "How good is Powell?"

What's a 50-point game without a win? Not enough for Carlos. "It really doesn't matter, without the win all that means nothing."

But he wasn't at all unhappy to hear DMac's opinion:
"That's a great compliment from Darryl," smiled Powell as you could see a sense of pride float through the big man when he heard of D-Mac's words. "I respect him a lot, I heard a lot of things about him, a lot of good things and a compliment like that coming from him, I can take that to heart and keep going."

Reports from the game said that when the game was finally out of reach, Powell was slumped on the court in disbelief that they had come back but not quite enough.

Here's a topic for debate - if this level of form continues, but the Breakers finish ninth, should he be an MVP chance? What about if they scrape into the play-offs a la Brian Wethers and the Pirates a couple of years back?

Topic #9797 | Report this topic

TP  
Years ago

I think he should definitely be an MVP chance if he continues this sort of form. Think about what MVP stands for - Most Valuable Player - it's about making the best contribution to your team regardless of where you finish IMO.

Reply #111883 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Who would he be up against? Cat? Not exactly huge differences between their teams performances but Powell is getting it done every night and giving his team every chance to win ala the game against us here.

Reply #111886 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One point on the side of the "MVP to non playoff team" argument is that no team has been thoroughly abysmal this season - it's been a pretty even season for most teams.

Even the Pigs can scare a few teams.

Reply #111887 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I think most of the league is more scared of James Harvey's tats than the Pigs as a team.

As for Powell - with numbers like he had the other night where he is also contributing in assists and rebounds as well as the huge scoring makes him a standout for MVP regardless of where his team finishes.

Reply #111889 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Without question Powell should be a very decent chance at taking MVP honours regardless of where the Breakers end up.

He's the standout import in the league by a country mile, and the only other player that may give him a run is Cat.

The usuals haven't been as spectacular as Powell, Anstey has been consistant, but nothing outstanding, Sam Mac similar story to Anstey. I haven't seen enough of Groves to say either way and no one else has stepped up constantly.

Two horse race between Cat and Powell, and if Powell missed out he's been ripped.

Reply #111890 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

my money would be on Powell. Hes a gun. Love watching him play, what an athlete. Although i think that sammy mac might slip under the radar and give the MVP a shake, espescially with the form of the Bullets.

Reply #111892 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Does Redhage not get a mention for MVP??

I think its a 3 horse race

Cat, Powell and Redhage.......would be a tought one

If it came down to record, then Redhage will surely get the nod

Reply #112162 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I really don't think that how a player's team is doing should come into deciding if they are the MVP. It's all about the individual player. I reckon Carlos Powell is the best player in the league and I also reckon he's NBA material.

Reply #112199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac or anyone else,

is there any betting available for NBL MVP?

i've checked out sportsbet.com.au and tabsportsbet.com.au but there's no MVP betting

Reply #112256 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not that I've seen anywhere.

I've seen a "How will the Kings season finish?" option on Centrebet though.

Reply #112279 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:42 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754