Anonymous
Years ago

Will the 36ers keep Phil next year?

I know it has been discussed on various threads.

I think they will because basketball needs to maintain some profile here in Adelaide and many non basketball fans know who Phil is when they see him and I guess some can be converted.

You put an Ian Stacker or Scott Ninnis as coach and people outside of basketball wouldn't know who they are.

But I guess the most important thing is winning.

I think they should replace Phil but I don't think they will.

Topic #9843 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

They'll keep Phil and Breheny and sack half the team.

Reply #112510 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree with EC. They will sack half the team. Also Smyth will deflect any criticism of himself by saying we had a poor season because of injury, new management, new personnel and a disruptive Farley. He will not take responsibility for this poor season. When infact it has been obvious he has been out coached in the majority of games. Also the players seem to have no motivation to perform with him as coach.

Reply #112511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you think Farley will go?

Reply #112512 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

I also get the feeling that Hemmerling will stick with Phil from what I hear around town.

Hemmerling will soon find that it is extremely hard to recruit good Australian talent to play under Phil without over-paying by a large margin. Phil's reputation around the league is shot to pieces and it doesn't help to get potential free agents if the rumours about him trash talking players he insulted during contract negotiations are true.

I certainly won't be renewing my season tickets if Phil is still here next year.

Reply #112523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll be back, already been given a verbal agreement by Mal.

Reply #112525 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Crap!

Reply #112526 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

I will be there next year just to see Nash go round again - what excitement that guy gives us all.
Any business needs to please its shareholders and from what you see on these threads, those supporters are not pleased at all. The whole team needs renewing, including the coach, his time has well and truly passed.

Reply #112529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't realise you were a shareholder Sqid.

So how much of the sale price did you contribute?

Your a fan, patron a customer. Not a shareholder.

Nash will be there next year so I guess Squid will be back with his words of wisdom too.

Reply #112530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

- They will keep Smyth and Breheny
- Nash is contracted and will stay (and will continue to get court time)
- They will also keep the players 36 years old and over (eg. Copeland, Timmons)
- They will also keep injury prone players (eg. Wheeler)
- They will sign more over 36 years old players (eg. Gaze, Rose, etc)
- They will let the young guys go (eg. Hill)

Makes for an exciting season next year! YAY!! can't wait..

Reply #112532 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

It was a comparison Anon, no success, no leadership, no direction and no shareholders, only sellers. Unless things dramatically change, no I will not be here next year.

Reply #112536 | Report this post

Certainty  
Years ago

Nah they will keep Horvath, Farley, Sutton, Maher, Hill, Copeland, Cooper, Mastro, Ng and then delist the rest they will recruit players coming out of college and other young South Aussies looking to play proffessional ball not go through the college system!!

Reply #112539 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I will be there next year. Need to see what changes will take place when the team becomes Hemmerlingised.

Reply #112541 | Report this post

bagwan  
Years ago

we have a championship team - in their heyday.

copeland, timmons, wheeler etc - all championship players.

trouble is they are all scouted to death - everyone knows their trademark moves, shortfalls etc

the teams that often do well nowdays bring new imports in that nobody knows too much about and have to learn. so they get an advantage.

my only critical comment on the fellas at present we seem to be faultering on the critical clutch stuff - where as in championship / good years we would finish them off - just a little bit more polished.

timmons seems to be a good addition.

Reply #112552 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'Certainty', I don't believe you will be proven correct on all of those counts. If they retain that full set, the results next season will not be too dissimilar, I suspect. Wouldn't be surprised to see many of those retained, but not all.

Reply #112630 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:26 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754