Anonymous
Years ago

Rules evolving

A recent post mentioned how rules have evolved. I think that it would be interesting to reflect on those rules which have been introduced for one purpose and achieved almost the opposite.

For example the additional foul shot if fouled while shooting and points count. This was probably introduced to discourage defenders from fouling the shooter because they would get an extra shot. It has evolved to encouraging the defender to foul hard so that the shooter doesn't get the initial 2 points.

What are some of the other rules which have had another affect from the orginal intention?

Topic #9875 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the 3 seconds in the paint rule? It gets called sometimes , others not. I can't get the 'if you dont shoot it you can live in the key idea'.

Reply #112842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is interesting to note that in womens games in the mid 1970s, travel violations were determined by which way the player's frontage wobbled.
So much to say, that rule is not in effect today, unless you are Brian Scriven.

Reply #112874 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

In response to #9875.

Was the rule introduced to stop the defender from fouling or was it introduced as an incentive for the offence to play for the basket and not the shooting foul?

I personally believe the bonus shot puts more emphasis on the player going to the basket to make the shot, regardless of whatever force is used to stop them.

Reply #113307 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

We treat it as a disincentive to foul softly in my team - either foul them hard, send them to the line and make them earn the points, or don't foul them, so they don't get the sympathy shot.

Reply #113324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shouldn't fouling 'hard' be an unsportsman like ?
Hands in trying to block or get the ball is a foul - belting the shite out of the shooter is rugby. However, that's the new basketball, less skill and more brawn.

Reply #113345 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:46 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754