Kent Brockman
Years ago

Basketball Fans Unite

The article in todays paper by Rebecca Wilson entitled "Five things to fill the void left by footy" deserves for teh writer to have mass amounts of emails sent to her at

[email protected]

Wilson has said one of the things you could do whilst waiting for the AFL season to recommence is watch a basketball game.

"I know, I know, desperate times call for desperate measures....watching a full game from the start to the end is rarely exciting. Switching on at 99 all with five minutes to go does give you a quick rush of blood."

It is this time of stupid journalism that is doing our sport no favours.

I encourage all who post on here to email her and let her know that basketball is tme most exciting sport in the country.

30 seconds is a long time in basketball let alone 5 minutes. She claims to have played the sport yet clearly does not know too much about it.

Topic #996 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

sorry the correct email is

[email protected]

Reply #11072 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Funny that she made a stupid comment about Basketball because Idont see AFL at the Olympics or outside Australia. Typical report from someone who has not achieved anything in sport but thinks she knows it all by watching some TV.

I dont read her shit in the first place. Why do they have women writesporting articles that do't have a clue. I can't be bothered emailing her, I will just continue to by pass her articles and read some journalists that know what they are talking about.

Reply #11074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excuse me, although she did write a poor article, you cannot criticise all female sporting journalists.

Pat Mickan is a fine example of a woman that has written about basketball in the Advertiser and has pulled it off with ease.

That's all =D

Reply #11111 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Also Bronwyn Hurrell writes great articles as well, as is one of the Advertisers more senior journos now.

Rebecca Wilson is actually a syndicated columnist (and there is a MAJOR difference between journos and columnists), and my personalm opinion of her afterreading a few articles and seeing her on the now defunct 110% Tony Squires (and a few spots on the OLympics coverage) is that she is a bitter woman, and has something against male professional sports people.

Reply #11115 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Bitter - yes. Much talked about - yes. Journalism is a lot about building an image and getting people talking about your articles etc - it seems to be working! I'm one for just ignoring her and not reading the trash - it's just plain terrible and oh, so one-sided.

Reply #11130 | Report this post

I can't believe she wrote that.

Rebecca Wilson said she played basketball - yeah right - on a Tuesday night when the end score is 4 - 9 and the highlight of the game is none of the girls breaking a finger nail.

She is going to struggle this summer if thats all she can write about.

What's interesting to her? watching a Pura Cup game in 40 degree heat that ends in a draw? Imagine playing a game for 4 or 5 days for no result? It would be like kissing your sister.

All year she has winged about pack raping footballers and how all football codes are full of overpaid & obnoxious dum dums.

So she gets her kicks watching Carlton get pumped by 80 pts at Princes Park in freezing temperatures in the rain, while listening to yobbo's swear at the white maggots.

Or maybe watching grown men stick their heads up other men's arses while throwing the ball backwards.

Basketball is a family sport, played indoors in air conditioned comfort, you sit close to the action and its played by the best athletes in the world. Its an Olympic sport and it's the 2nd biggest sport in the world.

Maybe Rebecca should jump into a spa and have a few drinks with the Canterbury boys, I'm sure they can give her an exciting 5 minutes.

Email has been sent.

Reply #11211 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Bootney is fired up ....good to see!!!

Reply #11213 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

I read that (well up until that point anyway).

What a total load of "goonie-goo-goo-doo-doo"

I personally find AFL to be far more boring, especially on TV and especially for minor round games. I dont think I've EVER sat through an entire game other than last seasons GF.

While watching AFL I often find myself pondering other interesting subjects such as when my next dump will be ready to drop, or what time people eat Dinner in Mexico. NBL on the other hand holds my attention, is fast paced and easier to keep track of all the players all the time.

The NBL (right now) needs columnists to support it not slag it off as boring (mind you you'd have to be some sort of mindless nut-bag to not watch NBL just because some half-wit mole in the papers said it was boring).

Can someone email her the link to this site / discussion? Would she read it?.. Probably not...

ShaneD

Reply #11219 | Report this post

A.Non Emouse  
Years ago

Bootney......"as exciting as kissing your sister"

Should I ask how you know?? :)

Reply #11244 | Report this post

OZBballDream  
Years ago

What amazes me is why so many people follow AFL when the games hardly have the close down to the wire finishes that the NBL does on a regular basis ???

And yeah the game(AFL) is limited to Aus only ??, what do you do when there's a world cup ?...say , "we won again" ?

The Only time I watch AFL is grand final time out of interest, and each time the Grand Final is a twenty point thrashing, now that's BORING BORING BORING !!!

Now compare that to the NBL playoffs and this rarely happens or Basketball in general and it's normaly (provided you have a fairly even competition) down to the wire often with overtime etc. finishes. Often you don't know who wins until the last minute or even seconds(when this rare occurance happens in AFL the commentators go on as if it's the most exciting thing they have ever seen ??...what the ??, try watching basketball it happens all the time !! )

Reply #11304 | Report this post

A.non.e.yogee

Family took a holiday to Tassie many years ago and my pussy blister(sister) and I were never closer. Must be the air down there!

Just on this media b/s....why every night on the news do we hear about Manchester United, Michael Rooney and Arsenal? Are there really that many fans of the Premier League in Adelaide to have nightly results?

I hate all Poms and to highlight anything they do sport-wise every night really give's me the shits!

Reply #11314 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I was saying exactly this just recently regarding the Premier League.

Grow and support the NBL and you'll have more control over a cheaper product and the players are so much more accessible. Also, surely it's the "right thing to do" in supporting a local competition?

I wonder if a Sixers Show has been seriously considered. Half an hour of highlights from the previous game, preview of the next game and where to get tickets. Interview with a player, the Sixers run a clinic, etc. Even if it was at 10PM on Thursday or something. Trade a corporate box for the timeslot. It'd get some exposure without cannibalising game night ticket sales.

David Cooper has a video camera. He gives it to a different player each week or fortnight, and they film whatever they want. Mock interviews, mucking around, whatever. The idea being that they'll have their own Season Review video at the end of the season. Could use some of that footage if appropriate and OK with Cooper?

Reply #11316 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Re the Premier League, if you have a look in today's paper it gets a good spread, photo and stories, compared to the single side column regarding the Aussie stuff!

So at least Aussie bball gets more coverage than Aussie soccer!

Reply #11323 | Report this post

easyonthepoms  
Years ago

Manchester United
The most marketable team in the whole of sport.
Wayne Rooney
19 years old
Already worth more than every NBL team and its players put together.

Sorry Bootney,

Soccer is an international sport, with a HUGE international audience. Which means HUGE dollars and exposure.

Basketball is an international sport, the most played female sport in the world. Unfortunately in Australia the National league is run/promoted on a Mickey Mouse scale using Monopoly money.

More people would've stayed up to 1'oclock like I did to watch ManU play Arsenal than saw the last televised sixers game.

cmon POMPEY!!!!!!

Reply #11397 | Report this post

You stoopid Pommie Bastard.

I don't give a rats rectum about Man U or the insipid Austalian national soccer league and their problems.

What sort of comp is the Premier league when year in and year out you have no competition because if a team gets close you buy their best player? Who did Rooney play with last year?
You talk of Monopoly - if you look it up in the dictionary there is a photo of a Man U soccer team.

The Premier League don't even have a grand final!

Where do you get your statistics re people watching Man U games Vs Sixers games?

The only reason your not speaking German and supporting Bayern Munich is because Aussie soldiers saved England time and time again.

The only reason that Man U are so popular is due to England not being able to win ANYTHING so they put all there money and support behind one bloody team. I just love a world cup as it just shows how bad English soccer really is.

Reply #11462 | Report this post

easyonthepoms  
Years ago

Bootney,

For starters I'm a skip not a pom.
So I don't need to be reminded what the ANZAC's did in europe.

And Manchester is definately NOT my team.
Rooney played for Chelsea who came seccond and move to Manchester who came third.

"Premier league don't have finals"

Your right they should throw in an extra finals series to go along with the FA cup, European cup and Champions league.
And then the players have international commitments.
Maybee a best of seven series where each game counts for two theths of jack s*@t like the NBA.

How many finals do you want?

Don't get me wrong I love basketball
I just like watching/playing soccer too.
What sh*@'s me is the way people who haven't played or even closely watched basketball think they can pass judgement on the sport call it boaring, un-exciting, whatever.

I'm suprised you don't see a little hypocracy in that what you've written about other sports. Considering the un-educated article Rebecca Wilson wrote about our sport.

In reference for the statistics which I posted.

Page 136
Vol 5
The great book of why the NBL has no TV viewing audience.

I could lone you vol1 if you'd like to have a read.

The only reason I'm not speaking German is because I quit half way thru year eight.
Too much haus aufgaben.

p.s. Pompey is a team if you were confused.

So when I say "GO POMPEY"
that doesn't mean I'm a winging, whining, soap avoiding two pound pom.

[Mod: Dude........you break my heart!!! Rooney was born, bred, raised in Liverpool and played for Everton. Why do you go for Portsmouth!?]

Reply #11552 | Report this post

OZBBallDream  
Years ago

Ok, heres the deal, the media in Australia need to wake up the fact that Basketball is one of the worlds most popular sports and that it deserves more coverage than it gets. Once it gets more coverage showing how far it has gone around the world ,then you will have an audience. I think SBS do a great job of showing soccer, but a little to great I'm afraid. I mean they show a ridiculous amount of soccer on Sundays, I mean surely they include a one hour show called "world Basketball" each week.
Here is an email I recently sent to SBS, if you want to send something similar then I will leave an email address at the bottom of this post...

I want to ask why SBS shows little coverage ( besides the Olympics ) of basketball considering it's , behind soccer, perhaps the second most popular sport in the world. Considering SBS's world concept it would only make sense to show more world basketball. The countries that Basketball has national men's teams are ; Australia,Hungary, NZ, Canada, Italy, Argentina, Brazil, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, U.S.A, France, Greece, Germany, China, Japan, Angola, Russia, Cuba, Spain, Croatia, Sweeden, Serbia Montonegro, Israel, Nigeria, Slovenia, Great Britain, Turkey, Finland, South Korea, Czec Republic, Belgium, Venezuala, U.S virgin islands, Puerto Rico, the Netherlands, Uruguay, South Africa, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ukraine, Lebanon, Macedonia, Senegal, and more !!

I realise that you host the "world game " for soccer, and I respect soccer for it's flair and global popularity but I feel SBS has an overdose on media coverage of soccer (similarly as does channel 7,9, 10 do for AFL ) On sundays there is about ten shows one after the other all on soccer ??
I mean don't get me wrong, SBS obviously needs to cover what the other networks don't in terms of soccer, however I feel basketball is getting a raw deal because of this. I mean basketball is now a Global phenomenon and no longer can be ignored. I feel that you would also rate well if you showed more basketball as the Aus public is so starved of coverage in terms of free to Air coverage, and media coverage of Basketball shown as an international sport. In saying all of this I thought SBS did a great job in covering the Olympics and I hope you cover the world Basketball championships in Japan in 2006.

However, in the meantime, perhaps SBS could introduce a World Basketball Show (the equivalent of your The World Game show for soccer), with a panel of experts and former players who know the game to cover it. Perhaps call it "world basketball ".

Have the local Australian league's NBL and WNBL , up and coming young talent for Aus teams, Euro league,International teams( Asia , Africa etc ) and leagues (Euro League), NBA, WNBA all in one show. Also it could discuss the Aussie Boomers and Opals on the international level, particularly considering the recent coverage of Olympic basketball and the viewers realising the truly Global popularity and importance of the sport.

I think the concept would do well considering basketball is on the rise in poularity In Aus again and the NBL (National Basketball League), has just landed the major sponsors Philips and Virgin Airlines.

Now, maybe I am just one guy with this suggestion but I have spoken to a number of people who think that this would be a benefit to the game and you at SBS can make money from it too. I also have had relatives play for Australia in the past and my background is Latvian so there is a big group of Ethnic Aussies who love the sport and SBS would benefit if they got behind the sport more.

..then I sent this email as well...

The Multi Demographic Nature Of the Game Of Basketball

At SBS you might be asking yourselves , what audience will we reach if we produce a World Basketball show ? Well, the great thing about this game it is that it has so many layers of demographic reach(which is good for advertising dollars).
In one show (one hour perhaps); if you featured some NBA you would have a certain market that tend to follow the NBA watch your show, then you could feature the NBL and you would have the local interest of our mad basketball followers watching too(atlhough this segment would be a shorter coverage of the NBL than the show on foxtel called NBL wrap), then you could feature the top women in the game say; the Opals,international women, WNBA, WNBL,( Lauren Jackson etc ) in one segment, and this would capture the female demographic, then feature the international game from all different countries outside Australia and then you will capture those people with their background's from those relevant countries ( this would also capture people who are visiting Australia from different countries and decide to watch your show ) . However in saying this, at the international level, you could also feature the Boomers (Australian Men's team); which tend to gain added interest in Basketball from your non basketball fan market. Then not to mention the junior market, perhaps have a small segment on up an coming talent to show up and coming stars of the future.

Also, as mentioned before, once a show like this is put together, you could sell the rights back to countries such as China, New Zealand, Japan, the list goes on.

thanks Oz.

Reply #11571 | Report this post

OZBBallDream  
Years ago

Woops I forgot to post the email, if you want to see such a show on SBS you can email them at

[email protected]

Reply #11572 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good idea. A World basketball show would be great and a good fit for SBS. And even more so with the rise in respect for European players on the NBA/Olympic scene.

Reply #11574 | Report this post

nice reply Pompey.

Reply #11598 | Report this post

OZBballDream  
Years ago

just for something funny, I sent an email back to Rebecca Wilson [email protected] with a link in the email to this post, he he.

I would love to see her face when she reads it.

Reply #11600 | Report this post

easyonthepoms  
Years ago

Issac,

I've a workmate from Portsmouth, I followed the team last year as it scrapped its way out of relegation positions towards the middle of the table.
No billion dollar signings, just a good manager and supporters.
Portsmouth has a passionate supporter base, they're tough to beat at home.
They couldn't defend set pieces last year though.

Oops, y r right about him being from Everton not Chelsea.

Reply #11625 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

Might be a stupid suggestion, but Ace TV are always looking for new ideas and a show. Why couldn't the Sixers get a show up and running on Ace for minimal outlay with a couple of players hosting it.
If the show proves to be a success our local stations might take an interest and realise there is a market in SA. In other words forget waiting for national TV cause they dont give a Rat's toss bag about us!!!

They do a SANFL show on Friday night I think?

Also 5AA have their Basketball show on Sundays with Wildie, McDermott and Big Al Green.

Reply #11694 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:55 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754