Statman
Years ago

Gold Coast Coach

Just watching Channel 9 GC News and the lead story in the sport section is about todays meeting between Brendan Joyce and Dave Claxton.

No official announcements but it appears Joyce has the job in the bag as Claxton said they were unsure if anyone else would even be interviewed!

Then it went on with Joyce saying how he loves the Coast and has a lot of family up here etc etc - Looks like it is a done deal!

Topic #9992 | Report this topic

cal's bruton  
Years ago

Sign cal bruton, hes deserves better, hes a nbl legend and he made cj here so he can play and lose games for australia, i say give cal a go, i really hate seeing joyce's face when the games are on fox, it makes me sad and want to eat ice cream, i was happy when the hawks replaced him with that tall black guy whos missing a tooth, its much better looking at him lose games i think.

Reply #114135 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

cal's bruton are you sixers33

Reply #114140 | Report this post

cal's bruton  
Years ago

"cal's bruton are you sixers33"

Would you ask god if he was jesus?. I didn't think so, I have not nor ever will support the sixers, I am a loyal 3rd generation dragons supporter. RIP mark price.

Reply #114147 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

cal's bruton, you are fast becoming my favouritistest poster ever.

Reply #114190 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

I think its a done deal, i think its a good move by the GC.

Reply #114227 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Here is a cut and paste of the article from the GC Bulletin today. The story has been all over the radio up here today and everyone is talking as though the announcement is a mere formality. Now Im looking forward to what they will be called and when I can get some tickets!

Joyce looks to be choice for coach of Coast's NBL side Pat McLeod

11Jan07

IF basketball coach Brendan Joyce was part of this week's Magic Millions market he would be the raging hot favourite with daylight second.

The 12-year National Basketball League coaching veteran yesterday met with the board of the fledgling Gold Coast franchise and indicators are he is the past-the-post winner to be the club's inaugural coach.

As expected both he and franchise spokesman Dave Claxton were coy after yesterday's meeting.

"The meeting went very well, but there certainly are other people to consider," said Claxton.

"No, it is not a done deal," said Joyce. "There are things I have to consider. Things that still need to be discussed."

However, both Claxton and Joyce said a decision could come as early as within a week.

Joyce came on to the coaching market midway through last month when he was axed as coach of the Wollongong Hawks, where he had been for 11 and a half seasons.

He and Claxton have had close ties as coaches over the years, both Joyce and his wife have family on the Gold Coast and yesterday there was little hiding Joyce's desire to come here.

"As long as things pan out I would like to come to the Gold Coast," he said. "This is the greatest place on earth. I have been coming here for years."

Joyce also brings with him a successful record and a burning desire to create a winning culture from the first day the Coast join the NBL competition in September.

"In my 12 years with the Hawks we had seven final fours, two grand finals and one championship," he said. "But what I would be excited about in coming here would be living in such a beautiful location, and also excited about working with these people because they seem like pretty good people.

"If I do come here it will not be for the team to make up the numbers. I am used to winning and I will be putting in a culture and developing a trademark.

"I want long-term success.

"I would hope the Gold Coast can be successful in their first year if I am coaching them. I don't want anything less.

"But a new franchise can struggle. A lot depends on the management plan, what players we can get.

"I am about winning and I know how to win. You have to have good players to win, but you don't need the most talent if you have good coaching and a good culture.

"Give me the talent and we will win."

However, he said there were also other issues to weigh up.

"I have four kids in Wollongong. My wife has a good job there and I have had some good job offers with companies outside of basketball worth much more than coaching.

"But coaching is my passion."

Reply #114254 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

If he gets the job he will be successful, clearly a good coach both developmentally with younger players and with older players passed over by other clubs.

Despite many posters dislike of him (and mine for that matter) for whatever reason, I wish we had him at the sixers 2 or 3 years ago, it would have been OOOHHH so different today.

Reply #114261 | Report this post

cal's bruton  
Years ago

WHYYYYYYYY GOD WHYYYYYYYYYYYY, PLEASE JESUS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, OHHHH GODDDDDDDDDDDDDD, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Joyce is the WORST, the WORST and hes going to lure hes no good son, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, ohh god.

Reply #114272 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

cal i wasnt refering to you as a sixers fan just same sort of posting style as sixer33 look him up and u will see why

Reply #114325 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

No one can deny he isnt a good coach, regardless if we all loathe him. I think it would be a good move by the Gold Coast. Joyce is one of the better coaches in the league.

Reply #114420 | Report this post

cal's bruton  
Years ago

"cal i wasnt refering to you as a sixers fan just same sort of posting style as sixer33 look him up and u will see why"

Yes, you are right and i am wrong but i am not the man you seek, im sorry to disapoint or something similar, but that doesn't take away from the fact joyce snr or joycy to his friends is an ugly man with an even uglier attitude who is killing australian basketball like a cancer within its colon. Sorry cal's bruton.

"No one can deny he isnt a good coach, regardless if we all loathe him. I think it would be a good move by the Gold Coast. Joyce is one of the better coaches in the league."

How is he a good coach?. He has great talent around him and manages to get into the top 8 in a 12 team league where the bottom teams had coaches like mark watkins who since being sacked has been diagnosed with slight retardation, Andrej Lemanis who will be selling bags of oranges on a freeway somewhere this time next year, an expansion team and phil smyth, i mean he won a title thanks to some outstanding plays from his players but not due to coaching moves he made, i mean non were from plays he drew up, he just yells and swears and throws things at handicapped kids, and hes very unattractive to look at, i know that shouldn't be an issue but when half his games are on fox it makes for unpleasant viewing. I say wait until the season is over and make a push for cal bruton, i believe hes the right man to led the new gold coast team, he has the spark and the spunk, he can also play if they have lots of injuries, joyce can't, so theres that bonus. Thanks for listening, cal's bruton

Reply #114433 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:11 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754