Isaac
Years ago

Bucks acquire Earl Boykins

Bit of a bizarre trade here for the Nuggets, giving up Earl Boykins, Julius Hodge and cash for Steve Blake - well, on first impressions anyway.

Boykins is 30 and averaging 15 PPG this season. Hodge is 23 and has played limited minutes, including some time in the D-League.

Blake is 26 and has been averaging 3.6 PPG with the Bucks, including a couple of starts.

For a bit of insight into why it's gone down, here's ESPN:

The surging Boykins has scored 20 points or more in eight of his 10 games alongside Iverson, but his shots and minutes were certain to dwindle when Carmelo Anthony returns from suspension on Jan. 22. Denver couldn't resist the opportunity to trade him now given that Boykins will soon be its odd man out and more so because this move ensures that the Nuggets will not be paying luxury tax at season's end.
Full story

It certainly won't hurt the Bucks who are missing two key guards through injury.

Topic #10008 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Agree, bit of a weird one that trade, and I think it's a bit of a wash as to the winner.

The Bucks did have a spare roster spot with the waiving of McCray, so the two for one works.

Earl's numbers are up at the moment due to the suspension of Carmella and Smith, they are due to return and plus the recent addition of AI basically makes Boykins disposable. Karl told Boykins that they required him to score more, hence his additional output.

The Bucks are in serious trouble in relation to their point guard problems. Mo is injured (and not really a point guard), Bell is similar to Mo and with Redd out they need a decent scorer to help Bogut and Patterson. Boykins can also opt out of his contract at the end of the season if he hates the Bucks.

Hodge is a pretty good defender, and was playing in the D-League for the past month. Remember he was the kid that got shot in the stomach last season.

Blake was always the odd man out and won't really be missed and will replace Boykins as the back-up point guard and will be satisified with the limited minutes behind AI. Boykins would of spat the dummy. Blake is also an expiring contract.

Reply #114354 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Denver also got Milwaukee's $4.3 million injury exception created by Bobby Simmons, thus saving the Nugs about $3 million this season and $3 million next season.

Pure salary dump by the Nugs.

Reply #114356 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TR, ever hear anything about Boykins maybe bringing chemistry problems to a team? Prior to his Nuggets stint, he went through five teams in as many years - but then it was suggested to me by another forum user that it could simply be that clubs are a bit nervy about putting a 5'5" guy on court?

Reply #114357 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Never heard he was a problem.

Boykins is finding the same problems that Brevin Knight has found in his career. Always puts up decent numbers, but the perception of a 5'5" guy being the starting PG for your franchise scares the *(&@ out of any GM. I'd hate to play Earl against Shaun Livingston. If he was 6'0"+ the guy would be top tier point guard.

No GM is going to heavily invest money or time in a 5'5" point guard regardless of how good he is.

Reply #114360 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Can I edit my post about it being a wash of a trade???

The Bucks raped the Nuggets. A 2 for 1 with the Bucks getting the talent, and also the Nuggets paying the Bucks for that talent.

I've just read that the Bucks also got the Nuggets to pay $700,000 for Hodges $1.2 mill contract.

Reply #114361 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

Boykins may score alot and is good for a burst but he is so easily exploited down the other end that his value is questionable .
As for Mo Williams not being a point guard ? Over the last month he has avraged over 20 , 5 , and 5 with 1.8 steals and 1.7 long balls at 47% and 85% .
Not to shabby .

Reply #114362 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Word is that Hodge has discipline problems and that he is out of favour with Karl .

Not too sure why the Bucks would want Boykins for any longer than this year.
Im sure there will be some decent Pg's coming out of contract next year. For the money he gets paid at the moment 15ppg is very good value IMO.

Hopefully he will give Bogut some more touches and get his numbers up too .

Reply #114365 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

For the past month Mo has been playing out of his mind, and one of the reasons the Bucks have been winning (well b4 Redd went down).

I guess I'm a traditionalist and I don't really like seeing my PG take between 15-20 shots per game and at times ignore my 7 foot centre in the block....

Mo is/was my starting PG on my fantasy team.

Earl is a rental to get them through the injuries, plus some offence off the bench which they lost when Simmons went down and Therapist started.

Reply #114367 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

Just been wondering since I first read this, could Denver be clearing a roster spot for a shot at either Webber or Francis (if he does get bought out by the Knicks) George Karl's ego appears to be big enough to try a back court of AI & Francis or a frontocurt of Webber, Melo & Camby!

Reply #114386 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Why doesn't this thread have a little ball attached to it? This is Earl Boykins we are talking about, the patron of this website.

Reply #114421 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Id take Boykins defensive liabilities (ie lack of height) any day

Since the trade, HE & Iverson have carried the Nuggets scoring load

He is a scorer, and can dish the ball

Hey....Nash aint a big PG......look at what he does for a team

Just cause Boykins is a short arse dont mean shit

LOL.....this coming from me.....a 5'7" PG in my playing days

Reply #114478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:26 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754