me
Years ago

Whinging Wildcats

Gday all,
My apoloogies for my previous less than in-depth review of the game in Perth. The threat of ejection from the stadium impacted on my focus on the game, It seems the some crowd here is a little insular and cosseted.

To give a little rundown, the stadium had (im guessing) approx 3500 people in it, 3497 of them were wildcats fans, 3 were 36ers :)
As we discovered from our previous visit, the crowd here is not a patch on the fans at the dome, the support is not as loud..not as passionate and in general a little less involved.

As is our want, we began loud and proud to support the 36ers. (NEVER in an offensive or derogative style)we love to shout whistle and scream..at the stadium as its amazing to hear 3 above three thousand. As people at the dome may remember i have a rather loud whistle, which can be used to very good effect, apparently this upset a very minimal number of cats fans in the crowd at the game as they did not like the fact that i would whistle on cats free throws etc.

Halfway through the 2nd quarter i was approached by cats staff to suggest that i was too loud..can you believe thaat??? 3 of us against 3500 cats fans and WE WERE TOO LOUD!!!! i was threatened with ejection if i continued. of course i explained that i felt it was my right to make as much noise as possible and if i was to go..then 3000 of the cats fans must go first.

The staff left me alone..only to return in the 3rd quarter to again ask me to be quiet...geez i am amazed.. does this go on in Adelaide..are we to insecure to accept opposition support..or is this a result of the fact that the wildcats are so far away they are completly unable to deal with competition.

both of the approaches by the staff came a vital times of the game..late in the 2nd and 3rd quarters...so danmed annoying to miss vital parts of the game just to discuss stupid complaints!!

credit to the very polite staff and the larger percentage of cats fans who just enjoyed the game and engaaged in some relaxed basketball banter with us.

All i ask is, if we have visiting fans at the dome, i hope we accept them as a valuable part of the competition, I hope we enjoy some friendly but passionate discussions and i hope we allow them to support their team without threat.

To Phil and the teaam last night, thanks for a fantastic effort, I think its safe to say all played well. and had we won, it wouldve been well deserved.

LETS GO SIXERS !! (whistle quietly)

Topic #10027 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the problem you had last night was in regards to the whistle and not about the level of noise you make.

I notice recently that notices are up at the doors of the Dome clearly stating that stuff like whistles can not be used.

IMO be as loud as you want but there's no need for gimics like whistles and horns.

Reply #114564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didn't say he was using a whistle he was using his mouth. I say make as much noise as you can, unless you were being abusive - which we can only take your word for that you weren't being abusive.

Reply #114565 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

no..please dont misunderstand, this is just a whistle i make with my fingers in my mouth..not anything else.

Reply #114566 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

and, i had my daughter with me..would never use inapropriate language around young people.

Reply #114567 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

Personnally aslong as people done use those stupid clappers I dont care how much noise they make, aslong as its a good game that we win. I say out with the wildcats, kick them outa the league!!!

Reply #114579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

me - it seems pretty unreasonable what was happening to you and I definitely don't agree with it. But let me tell you, as an opposition supporter attending games in adelaide is definitely not a positive experience. while i haven't experienced any issues with staff at the dome, many sixer fans do not appreciate opposition supporters. i'm not sure what it is with places like perth and adelaide but i think it is something to do with an insular attitude and not being accepting that opposition supporters will be at games. the same thing happens at football, whereas in melbourne, it's expected and completely normal to have supporters of both teams.

Reply #114594 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

That shit dont happen in Melbourne.....lol

Build a Bridge ME and get over it son

GO CATS.....lol

Reply #114612 | Report this post

me

as a travelling supporter myself i can understand your frustration. i have had it happen to me three times in melbourne almost got kicked out the third time. if you are lucky enough to be seated next to people who travel then things are great(last week i was in melbourne to see a great win and everyone was shaking my hand afterwards saying great game.) but i have had some experiences where i left the stadium fearing for my life.

it pays to make yourself known to the travelling supporters over there and hopefully they will look after you. this works as long as you do likewise when they visit.

i make a point of looking after visiting fans and making them feel safe because i know of the problems that can be faced.

so if you are a visiting fan then come up and say hello to me. you cant miss me i sell raffle tickets out the front of the dome in the navy seal rookie singlet.

anon (#114594) come and say gday and tell me where you sit i'll make sure you are looked after.

Reply #114639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Rookie, am just interested to see whether it happens elsewhere, sadly in reference to the "travelling fans" lol not many seem to travel to perth...I am almost certain the three of us were the only 36ers fans in the crowd last 2 games here.

Fez, im over it, just hope the whining cats will be, when we kick their ass with a full team in perth in the finals.

anon 114594, if it is happening in adelaide i am disapointed, certainly you expect some repartee' but i would expect our "knowledgeable" 36ers fans to treat visitors with enough respect to not threaten them with eviction just for supporting their team.

Reply #114853 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

oops sorry..that was my post above :)

Reply #114856 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:17 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754