Anonymous
Years ago

Farley: Is it over for him as a 36er?

Heard a rumor today, that Willie Farley isn't injured at all. Other issues have arisen and he is on the outer. With Wheeler close to 100%, don't be surprised if its Farley he replaces and not Timmons. I hope this is not true, not because I want Farley around next season, but it angers me as a fan to think he would jeopardize the 6ers season.

Topic #10064 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

Why does this topic get created once a week?

Reply #115017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is different, as for right now....he should be playing if he IS NOT injured. Whatever happens after this season happens, but he should be playing right now.

Reply #115018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About time. Maybe we can get someone who plays defence?

Reply #115019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm just furious at the idea he is fit to play at this crucial stage of the season and simply isn't! I hear he is a hard personality to get along with...but up until now don't think anyone doubted his 'pure love for the game'.

Reply #115020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play him out for the season.. that's why the 36ers pay him - then get rid of him at the end of the season (when the 36ers have no obligation to keep him!

That's professional sport! It should be accepted by all parties (36ers and Farley)

Reply #115022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree, but at least one of the parties isn't doing the right thing....because Willie Farley IS healthy enough to suit against the Breakers.

Reply #115025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

115022; what if he's 'injured'??

Reply #115028 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Does anyone know what he has done?? and if these rumours are true?? and if this is true why not just cut him or give him a week to sort himself out or something and be honest and open about the whole thing

Reply #115031 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

FFS!!!

I am hearing Maher to leave, Farley to leave...

NO!!! I can't take this much pain!

Where's the morphine???

Reply #115035 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jonno, here's what I can gather from publically available information:

- didn't notice Farley limping or anything after the game on Wednesday night last week
- it was reported that he trained OK on Thursday
- he flew to Perth with the team and a Wildcat fan said that he was on court for a pre-game shootaround (I assume, during the day?)
- an ankle injury had swollen on the flight and Farley was sent home (better to have it swell again then, rather than later on)
- the article in The Advertiser suggested to me that something was not quite right. I'm not the only one who wondered as there was a topic about it at the time.
- he's out for this week's games

I think there's enough there to wonder if something's going on, but nothing that says anything for sure. Certainly a few people hinting at more though, but those may not be factual.

Reply #115047 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

I think its time to rebuild at Adelaide

I know you guys dont like to hear it

BUT

When ur a true supporter of the club....you will stick by em

If Farley wants out as well.....let him go

The 36ers will reign supreme again

What the hell am i saying

Too much Melbourne Heat and Beer making me Crazy....LOL

Reply #115052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I want Farley to go. His attitude is appalling and his on court demeanor has been questionable all year.

The way the NBL is built, you don't really have to rebuild over a long period. Your only 1 good import away from glory again....like when Farley first came to Adelaide. So that isn't a huge issue as long as you recruit well.

Reply #115060 | Report this post

JKIDD#5  
Years ago

if farley leaves and maher leaves who would we be able to get to replace them??? and at the start of the season there was a rumor that horvath was going back to america after the season finishs does this mean we will possibly have three big contracts to fill?

Reply #115075 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

man i'd just love to see Darren Ng as a permanent starter next year.

Reply #115083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha u wish never goin to happen lol

Reply #115088 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Farley's attitude from what i hear is more to do with what is happening on the home front than with the actual team harmony.

He is not injured from what i understand, his ability to play without distraction is leading to the actions he is currently taking.

After this i doubt that he will ever be seen in the NBL again.

Reply #115103 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

It's clearly over for Farley. Deserved or not, he has been made the scapegoat for this season.

Phil, AGAIN, has managed to take the focus off himself for the dreadful season that Adelaide have had.

There's always a sacrificial lamb towarsd the end of the year. This year it's Farley.

Reply #115106 | Report this post

Apollo Cread  
Years ago

hey ive played injured before you can strap an ankle and ice it after the game. Players are too soft these days. No Heart.i agree Rest slightly injured players towards the end of the season when your on Top not when your fighting to make a playoff spot.

Reply #115109 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

"man i'd just love to see Darren Ng as a permanent starter next year."

He is a great player, awesome 3pt shooter and i was very happy to see him back as a Sixers again but he is not starting 5 material. Honestly, he is incompetent at bringing up the ball and always gets turnovers when his doing the PG job.

He is a shooting guard not a point guard and he only really has one shot too his entire game.

I'm getting ready for a debate...

Reply #115113 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

Just a thought:

If Farley was finished with the Sixers for the year and was not actually injured, wouldn't you think he'd be pi$$ed off enough to not show his face around the stadium ever again? Yet in the Advertiser this morning there's a pic of him and Copeland sitting on the sidelines "nursing their ailments".

It would appear to me like he's legitimately injured despite all the rumours and inuendo and will be back in a week.

On a side note, it appeared to me on Talking Hoops like Phil was blaming their unspectacular form this year almost purely on injuries - seems a bit far fetched considering they've been ugly all season before the recent spate of injuries. More blame shifting? If so that's disappointing.

Reply #115121 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Dissapointing yes, but expected.

Reply #115124 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, it also says in the paper he will be back in 2 games so surely if they were trying to get rid of him they wouldnt be bringing him back in 2 games and he wouldnt be at training watching them if they didnt want him around, and if he wernt injured he would be annoyed i'd guess. So maybe the injury is legit, which i hope is the case, or they have sort of suspended him to get himself together and are going to give him another crack next week

Reply #115131 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

sawmeinhalf/jonno - Farley's contract would specify certain obligations when injured. i.e. - be at trainings, do re-hab etc etc. If he just decided to stop showing up he might be considered in breach of his contract and the Sixers would have a case against paying him the rest of his contract out.

If I gave notice at my job today, I would still have to turn up to my job for the next two weeks even though it would be awkward for everyone - if I didn't, my annual leave and other entitlments might be withheld. Same deal with Farley

Reply #115138 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

You are a Doctor......why would you give notice, you must be on $250K PA......

Lol!

Reply #115154 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I think the injury is legit, flying back from perth so he can hopefully rehab quicker makes sense. I just think he is being a bit soft. As for his contract, at the end of the year i think he may go but now what happens to brett is a big factor. Also is cortez available?

Reply #115157 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

If he leaves will he really be missed by the:
a. Fans (because of his apparent attitude and lack of effort)
b. Team (because of his lack of effort.
c. The Owner (because of his off court attitude and problems)

Don't forget - Darnell is now naturalised - would like to come back to Adelaide (family loves it) and is (IMO) a better all round player.

Reply #115163 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

yea maybe we could have maher, farley or a import guard and darnell off the bench in like a copeland role??? or if mee wants to start go the old maher/mee backcourt with a import forward, but yea i personally would miss farley as im a big fan of his but yea i guess there isnt much chance on him being back next season with things ive read recently

Reply #115168 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Corey, I don't know that thedoctor is a doctor.

Saw it suggested by someone on OzHoops that Mee might be looking for a few less MPG and hasn't been getting that in Cairns.

Reply #115169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kent you hear too much crap from people who dont know the situation (homefront) fully, he is injured and his ankle is swollen, chill out and leave the guy alone, people like you make sport less enjoyable

Reply #115171 | Report this post

Blaze of Glory  
Years ago

I have said in a million times, D Mee will not play for Phil.

Would be a good fit for Adelaide but will not play under Phil.

Ninnis on the other hand he would play for.

Reply #115177 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

rumor also is Mee to the Gold Coast.

Farley is becoming the scapegoat this season, Phil has done his magic again.

Reply #115179 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

really the biggest mistake is wheeler, for the coin we have got very little production out of him. Another player that could have at least stayed on his feet and got some scrap points would have been better, or place some trust/cross fingers and play dodman.

Reply #115190 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Spot on #115171

Reply #115192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

definite family issue at hand for willie. let him get over the injury and get through the family business and get back to playing.

Reply #115195 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

not much to argue there 123abc i agree that he's not starting PG material but u cant say he doesnt have the ability as a scorer to be a starting SG.

Reply #115246 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:10 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754