Isaac
Years ago

36ers notify NBL of poaching attempt

Just reported on Channel 9's news, the 36ers have lodged a notice with the NBL that a club has made an attempt to poach Brett Maher while he is under contract.

Mal Hemmerling was noted as saying that he will put a fair and reasonable offer to Maher and hope it's enough to keep Brett in Adelaide.

Topic #10072 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Thats fair of the 6ers to do. As far as the 'fair and reasonable offer', Mal better have done his homework on just how important Brett Maher is to ADELAIDE...

Well now i guess all there is to do is sit back support the team for the rest of this season and cross the fingers to do with the Maher situation. Hopefully the overwhelming support on this site will make some difference to the result!!!!

Reply #115207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

people need to remember this is a business and P&L now counts. If Maher's expectations are unreasonable then i am sure changes will have to happen (it doesnt matter if he is the face of the 36ers as stated in other threads). I am sure there are many other players around the league who would come in and take over that roll.

Reply #115211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mal is that you? haha

Reply #115212 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

It DOES matter that he is the face of Adelaide, it matters even when held in terms of P&L etc.

Businesses across the world spend millions on establishing a brand, on building community relationship. Brett Maheer is that for Adelaide, and much more, we always hear talk of basketball being a "family" event..Brett is that for Adelaide.

To let Brett go, is to spend millions developing a brand, then it is just letting it go.

A very stupid mistake to make i think

Reply #115219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

true "me" but there is still a limit to the value gained from goodwill in a business. if they had to lose Maher then they would want to replace him with someone with just a good a chance of pulling a crowd and corporate supporters.

The 36ers are one of the most well known brands in SA however everyone would agree that they have been struggling in the last few years (not opening that up again). It is the ideal time to reposition the organisation and the brand (not saying that losing Maher is the answer) and draw the crowds and support back to the best team in the league.

It will be interesting times ahead.

Reply #115221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 115211. You are correct, P & L does now count, however, Brett Maher is the "goodwill" on the balance sheet and I'm no accountant.

Reply #115223 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also to be considered - if you let Maher go, who do you get to replace him? You need a quality PG to win a championship. If you don't get an Australian, you have to chance an import.

CJ is locked up with cash in Brisbane. Mee is one option, currently with Cairns, could be on GC's hit list. Heal signed with Dragons. DMac locked up in Melbourne. Not a whole lot of options.

Reply #115224 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Isaac, Mee to the sixers....only one small problem he won't play for you know who.

No Mee no options, and as you and others rightly pointed out last night imports cost and can be an unknown risk and Brett is only a 5.

Gotta keep him, despite understanding that its not a bottomless tank.

Reply #115229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fiji or anyone. Can you please tell me why Mee will not play again for you know who again?? I would of thought it would be good memories here with the Championships..

Reply #115232 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

>anon

Its their thoughts on Mee, when he left he said he could not play in Adelaide again because he felt he lost the championship for us. Not because he didnt want to play for Smyth.
People just feel they can blame everything on Phil, I would hate to see them trying this rubbish in their personal lives.

Reply #115241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was it that incident where he fouled Damon Lowery?

Reply #115244 | Report this post

Pagey  
Years ago

Yeah it was THAT incident.
Whether it was a foul or not the jury is still out.

Reply #115255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skudpud,

Talk for yourself. It isn't their opinion.

How about this, ask Darnell himself next time he's in town.

Reply #115370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The club seems to be lurching from one disater to another and if he was the man he should have been stitched up a couple of months ago when he would have taken the minimum. He'd be a bloody fool to stay now when he has been offered twice the money and a once off cash compensation for missed testimonials.
What worries me is the way this cock up has emerged and just how many others have there been? Unless major admin, coaching staff and player turnovers occur, the sixers will be on the market soon at basement prices.Maybe mal should have kept his other job!

Reply #115692 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:06 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754