Anonymous
Years ago

Joyce Officially name GC Coach

Just saw it on Fix news.

I originally thought Stacker would get the job.

Or if Phil wanted it he probably could of taken it.

Topic #10085 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has been in the wings for 12 months.

Reply #115291 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Im guessing they will have a pretty air tight "character" clause in his contract.
Loose cannon that guy.

Good luck Gold Coast.

Reply #115305 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Skyhook i think thats Rubbish, Joyce is not a lose cannon. Rumor is mang hawks, set this up,as they r in fin trouble.

Joyce coaching record is impressive, i have said this many of times, yes we hate him, that stems from the early days when he was a player. But as a coach his record speaks for itself. Gold Coast has done a job for the future of B'ball in there town. Joyce creates players, gives youth opportunity. Unlike bloody phil!

Reply #115318 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There are some players that do not like playing under Joyce. Have heard it from a couple of sources, as have others it seems.

Reply #115323 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Despite the rumours, I think they will recruit well and make semi's in their first year.

Love him or loath him the guy can coach, and in particular get the best out of rejected (so called) players.

Reply #115330 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Semis in their first year? They have no players yet. Can you really see them getting a better record next year than - Tigers, Bullets, Crocs, Wildcats, Dragons, Kings?

Reply #115336 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

yeah i do not think semi but definately good chance to make the finals if he gets a good squad. Obviously players that he has cutt are not going to say good things about him. I have heard good and bad, that the amount of work he puts in for each game is very impressive (scouting).

Heard that some players with egos do not like him as he focus's directly for the team and not that individuals numbers. Also apparently he performs a lot of 1 - 1 to develope players. Which explains getting the best out of 'former rejects'. As i said earlier a real good move by the GC.

Reply #115359 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Rumors for players going around are:

Mee,Groves,Saville, Frank, Rampton, Ballinger, Harvey.

Reply #115361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce Snr will bring in Joyce Jnr.. so add him to the list..

Joyce Jnr will get 30+ minutes each game as well!

Reply #115414 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

DrB - what great record does Joyce have?

Up to the start of this season he was 186-168 win/loss record, which is a 52.5 record...not too bad I guess.

Finals history is a 10-19 record, with 1 championship and 7 other finals appearances in 11 seasons. Only 1 time in that 7 did his team make the Grand Final.

Has a history of arrogance with players, as Isaac said there are plenty of players who wont play for him, and isn't that well liked off the court by a lot of those in the know.

Reply #115519 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Yogee, coached the Hawks to a championship in 2001, two grand finals and seven final fours in his twelve years with the club and is the current Australian Boomers assistant coach.

Its impressive and a lot of other clubs would take that if they could.

Reply #115670 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Umm..2 grand finals in all that time...the championship won with a VERY contentious call in the semis (but hey they still won, cant take it away from them).

There are also other factors to consider, like how well liked is he in the media, what are his iner-personal skills like, what is behaviour on game night going to be like?

A lot of negatives in there as well. And do you REALLY think that he is in the Boomers purely for skill? You dont think there is some nepotism there?

Reply #115698 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:52 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754