It was on the cards!!

Reply #115421 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

i have the tuner card ready to record the item

Reply #115424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess that is how they get Brett Wheeler in to the team.

Reply #115426 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

May go next week, won't play next year.

Official according to 7.

Reply #115428 | Report this post

Pugsley  
Years ago

What? I missed it. Can you put a link to the video benj?

Reply #115432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does every import who leaves Adelaide have their reputation blemished with rumours of how they are difficult or not playing hard etc etc.

Yes i agree Willie wasnt at his best this season... but he almost single handedly won us a Championship and has been the biggest drawcard for the 36ers for numerous years.

Cant the club or, whoever is informing the news, just say that he didnt fit the current system and that they are looking for a fresh start next season with a new import... or something along those lines?

What ever happened to giving respect where it was due, and leaving on amicable terms?

Reply #115437 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Because in this case, I don't think it's a beat up.

Have known this for a long time now.

Reply #115439 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

uploading now pugsley

Reply #115440 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I dont remember any imports leaving with their reputation blemished in recent time other than CT.

Mee, Brooks, Garrison, Rychart all left with their reputation's intact.

Reply #115441 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And CT's ability was questioned, no more than that, from what I remember.

Reply #115444 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

I dont know how well this will work.

Reply #115450 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Thanks for the memories WIllie!

Reply #115452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

works well thanks benj

Reply #115454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks benj

Reply #115455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing to me that is more interesting is the timing on which these imports have been made scape goats!
Charles was made out to be like he was a bad seed, the second Phil's star studded recruiting line up of Rodges, Cat, Rychart and Maher faulted, Charles was made the scape goat to save his own behind. Now in a contract year it looks like Farley will be made it too. Not saying we should keep him, but the old saying by coaches, get rid of the import otherwise it will be you, is so very true

Reply #115457 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i think its bad the way is has ended, would have liked to see him depart at the end of the year if thats that case.

Reply #115459 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

this is stupid by the sixers management. Farley kept bums on seats, and was entertaining to watch. Not every import is flashy like Willie is. As a supporter, I will not be renewing my membership next year, due to lack of management and poor roster decisions.

Farley led us to a championship, and can single-handedly turn a game on its heels. Why get rid of someone like that? Kobe and PJ didn't get along, now look at them. Beat San Antonio in SA today.

Willie deserves better.

Reply #115460 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Gees, i loved to watch Farley's awesome moves, when they were on comebacks he would get a timely steel and dunk. He would swish hige threes and swish those un-defendable fadeways.

Good times they were...

Reply #115461 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

I also meant to say that the Lakers are one of the top teams in the West, and Kobe and PJ are now getting along fine.

Reply #115462 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Chewy,

The guy played no D, has a predicatble game and was getting soft and just wanted to shoot jumpers all day long.

This decision, if replaced with a decent recruit, would be a good reason to sign up for season tickets in my opinion.

Reply #115463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chewy.........i think you might find that Willie brought this on himself....his attitude, dedication, etc. He is a great player but obviously doesnt gel with the rest of the team. There are many other "flashy" imports around.

Reply #115465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chewy316, Farley has only himself to blame pretty much, i think there is alot you don't know that went on behind close doors.

Reply #115466 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I've never been a fan of Willie's D - even in the championship year. This year he has become more one dimensional just relying on his 3 point shot having given up on driving to the hoop.

Poor decision-making and lack of real effort has been his hallmark this season.

But man he was good when he was on.

Reply #115467 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I just hope the Sixers can get a good a player and highlight wheel as Farley.

Reply #115469 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

highlight REEL

gees. I'm just distressed from this weeks basketball news and results.

Reply #115474 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

is groves contracted at the hawks?

Reply #115476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have just been good if he got the sendoff he rightly deserves... in a final match at The Dome.

Just doesnt seem right after all he's given to the club over the years.

Lets hope they do the right thing and at least bring him out during Half Time for an ovation or something...

What does everyone else think?

Reply #115478 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I've got no problem with this, but it shouldn't stop with Willie. Smyth should be gone too, Nash with him, and the only way Brett Wheeler should get another year with us is if he is willing to play for free.

They must resign Maher. Him, Ng, Sutton, and Copeland is not a bad backcourt. Horvath and Cooper, with Majstro off the bench, and a decent small forward import would go ok. Brad Hill will be back too.

Reply #115479 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

There would be a 1000 of Willy Farley's currently out of work in the USA. After season has ended the sixers will just contact a player agent for some names and then scout the one they are after.

Isn't there almost 150 division 1 colleges in the states? Plenty of players who would be looking for $150,000 to live in Australia over summer.

Willy nice knowing you, don't let the door hit you on your arse on the way out.

Reply #115487 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

I am not terribly disappointed he is going, he was great in 02 when he won us the championship and he has show some great glimpses recently but this year and last year he hasnt been himself. Apart from not driving to the basket he has been even less effective at the defensive end and his attitude has appeared to deteriorated to the extreme and it has become very disruptive.

Seeing as mutley has started talking next year I will too

07/08 Team
Guards
Maher
Ng
Sutton
Copeland
Forwards
Hill (SG too)
AJ
Dodman
New SF Import
Center
Horvath (PF too)
Cooper

Development
Young guy at West, cant remember his name

Also maybe we could get an AIS or College grad to replace Dodman in the 10, and have Dodman in the development squad again.

Coach - Would love to see Steve Brehney and Scott Ninnis coaching

Reply #115489 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

If thats next seasons team we will stink as much as we have this season. Need much more to be done than just Farley being replaced by another import.

Reply #115496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get rid of Copeland!

Is there some Aussie talent currently in the NBL that can play for a similar amount of money?

Also, give Hill more court time next year please!

Reply #115498 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Willie's been paid a big FAT fee to produce that highlight reel. And that's what business he's in - when he stops doing it, he's out of business.

Willie's going? Fine.

Reply #115502 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Willie wont get an ovation. About the only time Willie will be back in The Dome is to clear out his locker and hand in the keys to his car.

He has played his last game as a 36er, the writing is well and truly on the wall on that one.

Reply #115505 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

"Get rid of Copeland!"

Anon, he has been brilliant for a 40 year old who is on minimum and rated 4. (I think)

If we have a look at this horrible season, what have the Sixers lacked? The forwards,especially small forward has been the worst. If we were to have Coops and Horvath as centres then who would be PF? Maestro and Nashy must be SF/PF from the bench.

The Sixers lack one star. Adelaide needs a guard like Farley, to replace Farley. They probably need another guard aswell.

C: Horvath+Cooper
PF: Free Agency : Ben Knight anyone?+Nash/AJ
SF: Import?+Nash/AJ/Timmons
SG: Ng/Hill/Copeland (share starting 5. (Determined on form and fatigue)
PG: Maher+Sutton+Hill

11 players possible?

Reply #115507 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Sixer should now give added court tim e to Sutton and Dodman. What harm will it do.

Seeya Big Willy.

Reply #115510 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

Yeah you are right kwest.

Dodman to development list and get a Stiff, Hoare, Boodnikoff (fits the South Aussie mould that Hemmerling seems to want), Rush type player

Dumped from this years team is
Nash
Farley
Wheeler
Timmons

Hill and Sutton definitely need more court time next year.

Reply #115514 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i think people are being a bit harsh, sure he may be very hot and cold this year but he was good for us in the past years. People dont need to be so crude about the man, its just not going to work for us in the future. Say thanks for the memories and cya.

Reply #115518 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

benj : Stiff is Victorian, as is Hoare

Boody is a south aussie however.

Reply #115521 | Report this post

Choc  
Years ago

The team is always bigger than the individual. Farley was good value, enjoyed his showmanship. Remember if youre a true Sixers fan youll go to the games no matter what side they have on the floor! Is Mixmaster wipe in the house?

Reply #115534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can people say that we should dump Dodman when phil has not given him a chance to prove that he is worth having. Why do you think that Dodman continues to make the Australian Youth Teams.

Give him some time to prove himself.

Reply #115535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in the 6 mins on court against Perth he had 2pts 1 reb and 1 foul. Not great stats but remember that was his first minutes as a sixer.

Reply #115538 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

BOODNIKOFF!!! y didnt i think of that, the guy's capable of puttin up 16-17 a game uninjured and is one of the best shooters in the league, damn that'd be good.

Reply #115543 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

C: Horvath+Cooper
PF: Free Agency : Ben Knight anyone?+Nash/AJ
SF: Import?+Nash/AJ/Timmons
SG: Ng/Hill/Copeland (share starting 5. (Determined on form and fatigue)
PG: Maher+Sutton+Hill

I like that basic set up id like the import SF to be Jayson Wells or Dave Thomas or some one of that mould athletic and versatile!!
I also like Boodnikoff he could be our starting SG or SF long athletic and can shoot th 3 i remeber him killing us last year! If possible to get both Thomas and Wells i would take them both and let Horvath go aswell, but if not Horvath is fine with me!

Reply #115548 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Oh i forgot to say Goodbye Willie i was a fan of yours all the time, pity you have to go, i would of like the 36ers to not let this public and let him go end of season with some class as he has been a good import for us over the years!!

Reply #115549 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Wille has been a great entertainer/player for the 36ers over the years,going to miss his usual highlights.

Farleys body language this year though has been terrible,it seemed to rub off on the rest of the team.

Shout out back to ya Choc!

Reply #115554 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

me & my brother love farley... one of the best showtime players we have had in this league. basketball is all about showing off & he was good at it. baby jordan he was!!!

Reply #115556 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I think it would be good to know why Farley's attitude has changed so much this year. Why is he behaving in a manner that Smyth will no longer tolerate? This thread like many before it has moved into the direction of his poor performance this year. He has performed well in previous years so the question needs to be asked if it is what the club has done to him rather than what he has done to the club to cause this conflict. Do we know what sort of mediation processes have been followed to try and solve the issues? I can't help feeling that a good player is being sacrificed without properly trying to solve the issues. What will happen with the rest of the season? Will a new import be brought in for the rest of the season? We have already lost 2 straight games without Farley, how many more will we lose? Obviously his absences does make a difference.

Reply #115557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats the point of bringing in another import for a handful of games EC. The season is shagged, even if we did sneak into the 8 who wants to see us knocked out in the first game again ? Better to get the whole thing over and done with ASAP. - Can put the money saved towards Bretts salary for next season. (assuming he doesn't jump ship)

Reply #115562 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree with your points EC! I'm sure there is a few interesting stories behind these dramas. Isaac hasn't said that much about it but seemed to support it so there must be some malice involved. Hopefully more information comes to light.

If there isn't some compelling reason why these drama's have occurred I would then say its another embarrassing decision made by Smyth for this season! Also I would say he is just coming up with another scape goat to save his job for next season.

But seriously, with Maher being injured for most of the season, and if it wasn't for Farley we would be in West Sydney's position right now.

Also his stats haven't been that bad with 20ppg, 5rpg and 3 apg (Perhaps low due to Maher leading the league in apg). I know it hasn't been his best season and his defense has sucked but realistically in a crappy team that creates barely anything for him on the offensive end he hasn't been so bad.

Having said that I think its time to get a new import to replace him next season. But to end his Sixer career like this is a disgrace (unless events have happened to justify this). The guy helped us to win our last championship and he is the only sixer that provides lots of entertainment!

I wish Willie all the best and thank him for his great work throughout the years! Whilst some wouldn't agree, he HAS been a privilege to watch! Hopefully this incident hasn't disheartened him and that he will continue to play international ball!

Hopefully Smyth is next to go!

Reply #115563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KingJames, those stats of Farley don't look too bad - but how bout these:

FG% is 39%
3Pts% is 29%

That is too low for an import!
I'd take an import who shoots say 17ppg but has a FG of 45-50% over Farley's stats.

Reply #115569 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

yogee, the comment was only referring to Boodnikoff - having read it back it didn't really seem like that, oh well

#115535 - i wasn't say to dump dodman full stop, just dump him from my top 10 list I had done, currently he is a development player and not usually in the travelling 10, he is only there because everyone else is injured. keep him in the development squad as number 11 and get the young kid from west crothers I think (ha just kidding - Luke Smith just got a boner reading that)

Reply #115577 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KingJames, I don't think it's an issue of malice, but one of dedication, consistency, team morale, etc. Combine the injury with some other issues and maybe something came to a head.

Criticism of this team during the season has come about from their lack of consistency, chemistry, defensive issues and heart. I think you could assume that some might see Farley as being one part of these problems.

Reply #115584 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon #115562, despite the "shagged" season, there is always the fans to satisfy. I don't want the Sixers to give up their season right now. People have paid for season tickets and would like to get the most of what's left of the season. I for one, still want to see Farley on court. He has done a lot for me in the way of providing enjoyment of the game and he has continued to entertain and delight the crowd. The atmosphere at the Dome has been electric on many occassions due to Farley's magic. He has produced some of the most memorable moments that I can think of. I wouldn't be writing him off without knowing the situation and whether there is a possibility to save it.

Reply #115585 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

As far as getting another import for the rest of the season...why??

They would have to sit out 2 games when signed (there is always a cut off about round 7 from memory)..and then have to play (once again from memory) 8 games to qualify for play offs should a miracle occur.

Not to mention if they cut Will early, they would still have to pay out his contract which comes under salary cap - unless there is some sort of contract clause that allows them to cut him of course.

Reply #115594 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cutting the contract doesn't come under the cap, just means Mal has to pay it out.

Why would it come under the cap if the player wasn't playing?

How would ANY team spending close to the cap cut and replace ANY players at all? Think about it.

Reply #115603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think benny knight would be an awesome pickup. Surely he cant be overly happy in singapore, and he puts up pretty consistent numbers. He also has great leadership qualities. On the talk of brad hill, i think we would be lucky if he remained in Adelaide after the amount of court time he was given this year.

Reply #115628 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I remember rumours from OzHo earlier this season about Ben Knight not overly enjoying living in Singapore. Not sure of his contract status though.

Reply #115630 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Does that mean that Nash can be cut without him taking up any of the salary cap or points cap at all?

Reply #115644 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, you just have to pay out the contract or come to an agreement.

Reply #115645 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

That's fair. It will also be good for the Sixers aswell.

Reply #115706 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

To defend Farley has anyone thought that this years team just doesnt gel for him. Lots of players that have starred in the past then gone into a season with such drastic changes have flopped.

I think its sad Farleys leaving, even when we were loosing our home games earlier this year it was always good to go and watch him.

He also loved playing for the Adelaide crowd and this is probaly hugely upsetting for him. Give the guy some slack even if you dont like him.

Reply #115710 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Yogee, you're right as far as the number of games left this season goes. There is no time left to get another import. As poor as this season has been, I can't get over how quickly it has gone. Its as though I am still waiting for the season to begin because I haven't seen anywhere near enough of what I have been expecting. Makes it all the more compelling for next season because its not going to happen now.

As far as Farley finishing out this season with us, it should be a certainty. He has been contracted to play out this season and paid highly enough to play it out well. That is his obligation to fulfil. The club has the obligation to keep him until then. With so many players injured at present, it makes me cringe everytime the Sixers go out on court without him. He still provides a lot of confidence that the team will do better with him playing.

Reply #115727 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Farley is the only injured player (unless you count Cooper taking a fitness test today) not on waivers.

When they were down Farley, Nash and Copeland, that was a big issue. Now, they're just one down.

I think Timmons is providing a better fit than Wheeler for one thing, and Sutton has been useful.

Reply #115761 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

'Free Willy', I say.

Reply #115767 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Unless the rules have changed...but I remember it became an issue for someone (Sydney - I think) a few years ago that they couldnt replace a cut import because of the pay out of the contract.

Now I think of it though, I tink that was under the old $1 mill+ cap, so possibly contract pay out rules changed when the cap changed.

As for paying a player if he doesnt play, I would have thought it would be similair to most other sports where the salary is made up of a season "retainer" plus a per game playing or match payment.

Reply #115781 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:47 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754