Isaac
Years ago

Funny The Advertiser today

Today's edition of The Advertiser featured a full page of basketball, including a recap of Saturday's Sixers game and a view of the road ahead, a positive report about the Academy's first public game, info from Round 4 in the NBL, and a recap of the Lightning's progress in the WNBL (splitting the weekends games).

I would encourage everyone who appreciated the extent of the courage to contact The Advertiser and express their support. Letting them know that we're reading can certainly do no harm to the possibility of getting more coverage in the future.

Even if it's something as simple as "Great basketball articles today. Thanks!", I'm sure the feedback would be useful.

Email: [email protected]

Topic #1012 | Report this topic

OZBBallDream  
Years ago

I sent my email today,has anyone else ?

Reply #11229 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

I would send an email with great article attached but I have never seen a "great article" in the advertiser! Not since nagy was the writer. Phil is now promoting the theme the team is "overachieving" (coaches picked us to finish 11th). Looks like an article will soon be on the way of "why haven't the 36'ers extended Phil's contract"! Nagy is at lease consistently predictable.

Reply #11236 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My emphasis was on the coverage given to basketball more so than the content itself.

I think he fairly states that though the Sixers are at the top of the ladder, they are there at the expense of some of the bottom-ranked teams. I can't see anyone questioning that.

Though Boti may be Phil's voice in the media, Boti tends to steer clear of glorifying Phil in his articles, but instead talks up the team and I think that's a supportive thing.

The Sixers as a club are no fan of Boti at all, but I think he's more of an asset than some realise. How many people wake up and check the paper for the latest from Michelangelo Rucci? Not me.

What irks you? Boti pushing Phil's agenda? Phil being the Adelaide coach? Shall we get in Goorjian and Tim Morrissey?

Reply #11238 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Email sent!

I was talking to someone heavily involved with the the Advertiser over the weekend and was amazed at how some high profile sports people ring reporters and demand that they have an article written about them and push to have their on field play highlighted in a published article.....if these are the rules of the game we need to get Jacob and Oscar a 3 phone so they can ring reporters and tell them how good they are so they can get in the paper as well.

Reply #11243 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I know the Sixers and Boti arn't the best of friends but surely the Sixers should realise that if used well and fed the right information that Boti can be used so much better and provide so much more FREE advertising for the club, the league and the sport.

Reply #11264 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

A full page spread on basketball and a big picture of Maher stealing the ball from Cameron can do no harm to promote the club. When people that are not involved with basketball and going to Sixer's game see that the Advertiser can publish a full page spread on the sport, then it emphasizes the importance of Basketball during the NBL season. It may well have people thinking about what they are missing out on if they don't go to a game. At the very least, it tells people that basketball is alive and kicking. Keep writing Boti as your articles are the first thing I turn to when I open up a paper each day,

Reply #11269 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

This isn't the 1st time the Advertiser has had a full page recap of the Sixer game and other games on Monday. It's done every Monday i believe, especially if the Sixers have played on the weekend. There's usually a full page on Basketball on Thursday as well, including Boti's tongue in cheek around the NBL column which has been running for as long as i can remember.

It's not like this coverage is a new thing Isaac. It's been going on for a while.

Reply #11278 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I can't recall seeing that many pieces in recent times, but I do read intermittently (mostly online). Either way, doesn't hurt to let them know people are reading.

Reply #11279 | Report this post

BouncePass  
Years ago

I have noticed a general increase in media coverage (from last year anyway). Tripple M and SA-FM radio stations and channel 7 are giving a bit of coverage to basketball. Don't know about Sports Tonight, can anyone comment?

However, there aren't too many other sports of interest being played around the country at the moment!

Reply #11425 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Sports Tonight is from Sydney isnt it? Normally has scores of games, but thats about it.

Reply #11555 | Report this post

OZBBallDream  
Years ago

What isaac is demonstrating that the Basketball public can be more pro active in giving feedback to the media to show support to the sport and perhaps gain a higher level of media coverage than currently shown.

So it's a great idea we all contact the media as much as we can to let them know we want to see more Basketball, via papers,TV or whatever..

Reply #11565 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:01 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754