Fosbury
Years ago

An Awful Time Had By Me

I managed to get some free tickets for the sixers on Saturday night. I don't want to sound like I am looking a gift horse in the mouth by complaining - but I am gonna have to.

I was quite excited about seeing my 6ers - I usually have a good time - even though this year we have been less than flash. This year I have been to 5 games. Hawks, Crocs (twice I think), Dragons (after Heal screwed Price) and Saturday v The Bullets.

For some reason I like the Bullets - I like Sam M, Dusty and CJ's games so even if we were gonna lose I was thought I was still gonna enjoy the game.

Oh how wrong I was.

I'm not gonna really talk much about the 6ers - just that we stink - Copeland shoots everytime he gets it and if he is not shooting he is looking to shoot first, why can a pro team not beat a full court press - the only one that looked comfortable with the ball in hands was Maher (and Sutton to a point) - how many turnovers in the 1st half v the press, 10? I was just frustrated beyond belief - Maher has gone up leaps and bounds in my estimation he is a fantastic player - shame he is gonna leave.

Anyway the reason I want to write to see your collective opinion on the matter. The product that Sixers oraganistion is putting forward in just atrocious. Empty stadium not really their fault but why not close the top part and put people behind the basket.

But the thing that really, really p*sses me off is the goddamn court side announcer and the freaking music. Look, in my estimation now people go to the basketball coz they love basketball - I asked a mate and said "Do you think families come to this thing anymore" and he said "yeah, only hardened basketball families". Do the Sixers still think this is the 90's - Basketball is not popular anymore - the golden run is over - why not market the sport to basketball people. Do you know what basketball people like? Cheering for their team - do you know what you can't do at the Sixers? Cheer for your team - coz anytime we get a run on Courtside Music Guy is playing "That God I'm A F'n Country Boy" - What the hell does that have to do with basketball? What can I do when that song comes on - get everyone in my freaking row to do a line dance. I want to yell and scream and cheer - booo people liek Hill and Gibson for looking like prats, go nuts when we hit 3's - I can coz Court Side Announcer is either telling me to do 1 of 3 things "Let's go Sixers, Lets Go", "Defence, Defence" or "Make some Noise". We were down 30 and he was still saying "De-Fence" - we are down 30 maybe you should have got us to yell louder earlier to cheer our team ... but of course our team can't hear us coz they are playing "My Sharona".

Boti wrote an article about turning the music off - do you know what they did the next game - turned the msuic off. Do you know what happened - our team got down v The Dragons - we yelled and screamed and booed Heal and we got the boys over the line. But I guess playing House of Pain when we are down 30 is more important.

And the Navy Seals - whose ever idea this was, it is not a great one. I hear that they could not do the Macot thing anymore - I get that. But these boys - who have prime location on court should be trying all they can do to get the crowd going but 1. they can't coz we are either yelling Lets Go Sixers or 2. being drowned out by rubbish songs from the 80's and 3. they are probably puffed out due to their complete lack of fitness. In the 4th quarter I look over and Booga and Steamroller and the other boys are all sitting arms folded, lamenting the game. My mate who was furious stood up and yelled "they don't give you those hot sh*t seats to be fickle Navy Seals, do something". Why are there - to do inane 1/4 time stuff? Fling socks into the crowd? Surely they should be trying to rally us ... they look like party guys ... I guess they only party when the Sixers aren't stinking it up. Looks like they will be sitting on their fat cans for the rest of the year then. Either that or Booga's Hot Dog rations were cut.

Glad I got that off my chest.

Plus the Hot dogs stink!

Topic #10208 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep. Well that just about sums it up.... Again.

Reply #116953 | Report this post

anon12  
Years ago

Fosbury you are a FLOP!!
If you were a season ticket holder or actually paid to go to a game then someone might care. When you get freebies just be thankful for someone taking pity on you.

Reply #116955 | Report this post

cisco  
Years ago

totally agree fosbury - great comments, particularly about court announcer with the "de-fence" bit- puerile to say the least. also think the navy seals are a waste of space - wouldn't mind their seats though!

Reply #116956 | Report this post

cisco  
Years ago

totally agree fosbury - great comments, particularly about court announcer with the "de-fence" bit- puerile to say the least. also think the navy seals are a waste of space - wouldn't mind their seats though!

Reply #116957 | Report this post

12 + 1  
Years ago

Anon 12, not being a season ticket holder or regular attendee, isnt Fosbury someone who's feedback should be taken on board?

If the casual attendee likes the "product" they are the ones to target to become permanent ones.

Reply #116962 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

LOL very good post

Reply #116970 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Every viewpoint matters whether a ticket was paid for or not. I would just moderate any remarks through a "we got drilled in that game" filter.

Though, no matter how poorly the team played, the dancers were great! I would give them the MVP award this season...

Reply #116972 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Someone is gunning to be invited to the dancer's private end-of-year party!

Reply #116973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MVP for this season should be any season ticket holder who doesn't have a job to do at the game and has been at every game.

Reply #116974 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Some good points there Fosbury although it does amaze me what people coomplain about when the team is loosing, team wins everyone is happy , team looses and it is everyones fault down to the car park attendant and the quality of the hot dogs that you did not have a good night.

Reply #116975 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

There are worse hot dogs around....case in point that f##kwit from Big Brother

Reply #116976 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Basketball for that man right there!

Reply #116977 | Report this post

Fosbury  
Years ago

Isaac I agree - we did get drilled and that probably did add to my frustration. And I am complaining when I shouldn't be coz I got a free ticket. I feel really bad for the season ticket holders - the one's who love the game and have to put up with this rubbish - I'm really just saying the sixers oraganisation seems to be packaging a product very poorly.

Our team is bad - every team goes through patches like this and we will turn it around. It is not the team that makes me frustrated.

The No Music thing is so intigral - that is the main thing I am mad at. The fans there go to be entertained by the sport - not the flashs and whistles - we go coz we love basketball - the rest is detracting from the basketball.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Sixers but I find it hard to go coz I just end up getting so angry coz I can't watch the thing I went for (the basketball) in peace without being told to make noise.

I went the A-League game yesterday (and have been all season) - the NBL could learn a thing or too - that is feverish and all they do is package the sport on its merits - sure it is not as good as European soccer but do you know what - no one cares coz all they care about is the team and the game.

Target the people who love the sport.

Final rant from me - those team pictures of the Sixers are cool showing all the teams from the past - why is the last one from 2001?

Reply #116978 | Report this post

the duke  
Years ago

Are you serious Isaac?
Maybe they look good but their dancing is well out of time from one another. They seem to have done the same 5 or 6 dances all season as well, just changing the music each week.
I thought the Lightning Dancers performances were more entertaining.

I remember the days when the cheerleaders would actually get the crowd going, start cheers, make some noise. My daughter use to want to wait out the front for them before each game to say hello but they dont even come out before the game anymore.

The whole club seems to be on a downward spiral at the moment. The team, crowd, cheerleaders, seals, food, everything really.

A huge overhaul of everything is needed.
Lets face it, yes you pay your ticket to go and see a basketball game, but that just aint enough to keep the crowd interested and coming thru the door anymore. It is entertainment people come for.

With regards to the Seals, I think there is definetly room for them. I thought they were fantastic last season. They would muck about with the kids out the front before the game playing basketball. They seemed to give out more freebies (again, I know thats not what your ticket is for but its what brings a lot of punters back), had bbqs and seems to be a whole lot louder. This year the only time we seem to see or hear from them is during the breaks. They are not being used as well as they should be IMO.

The cheerleaders last year also were out the front before the game having photos takin and say hello people as they came in. Yet no sign of them this year. Please come back!!

Dont get me started on the food and it took about four or five matches before they sorted the beer out.

i think ive ranted enough.

Reply #116979 | Report this post

Fosbury  
Years ago

BTW sorry didn't read the Music Man thing - must have been scribing mine at the same time.

Reply #116980 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

Air Horns , flares in the crowd and Police on horse back breaking up fights.

Yep the soccer was a good family affair.

Reply #116993 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MVP for this season should be any season ticket holder who doesn't have a job to do at the game and has been at every game.
A valid point.

Fosbury, the music is always a contentious issue - when they cut back the music, some people were disappointed. For some new to basketball, having music is a real point of difference.

Duke, I have only seen the dancers in Brisbane (and ours are better), but someone who's caught Breakers, Tigers and Dragons recently said that ours are superior.

Fosbury, I went to United vs Victory last night - my first A-League game - and the crowd support is absolutely superb - both teams' supporters are so organised it makes the NBL look poor in comparison.

But remember those guys are jumping around, screaming, beating drums, playing trumpets and have canned air-horns -- meanwhile, the NBL have banned plastic trumpets...

I don't know - I will say that you can't please everyone, that's for sure.

Added: Don't disagree that a Sixers game can be awesome with less music, IF the crowd and atmosphere are there. If they're not and we're getting thrashed, what can you do?

Reply #116994 | Report this post

Fosbury  
Years ago

Noti - to put it in context 3 people arrested yesterday at the soccer - 17 arrested at the 1 dayer - didn't hear anthing about that did we. The paper are trying to manufacture "racial trouble" to sell papers. Soccer is an easy target.

Reply #116997 | Report this post

Years ago

Strange that supposedly the 'NBL' has banned the trumpets yet Adelaide seems to be the only team enforcing this rule.
They are still used in Melbourne and New Zealand from what I have seen in recent weeks.

Is it really a NBL rule or is it a 36ers rule?

Reply #116999 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If being a wanker was a crime, a lot more people would've been arrested though - given it was a game without a goal, all I wanted in my first A-League experience were some flares and a fight - perfect.

Reply #117000 | Report this post

Axeman  
Years ago

Lets not forget that this season is a mess as Mal has brought the team "as is". As a season ticket holder since the place was built i have been extremly dissapointed with the season (an understatement)however I would not think for 1 second that we will have more of the same next year.

The food is crud at the stadium.

Last time I went to the soccer the melbourne supporters actually bashed a policewoman, within 100mtrs of my family.

Ill stick with the B/ball, it will get better..........wont it?

Reply #117003 | Report this post

Surmoses  
Years ago

ive been at every game this year as a season ticket holder. 2 more games and hopefully ill be nominated for the MVP award.

Reply #117008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought the food has been much improved with Chips, nachos and baked potatoes this season?

Reply #117010 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Fosbury when was the last time someone got arrested at a 36ers game?

I can't even remember seeing cops, except directing traffic out the front.

Reply #117022 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I could think of a couple that SHOULD be ejected from sixers games.

Copeland.....Farley......Smyth......

Reply #117024 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Agreed food has improved greatly from what it was last year.

Isaac 90 minutes not wasted watching nothing happen?

Reply #117025 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Game itself doesn't quite compare with basketball for me, but the crowd/atmosphere was very good.

Reply #117026 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

I was there. Plenty happened.

My highlight was when a Melbourne defender went down after being hit in the face with a ball and yelling to the Melbourne fans:

"You guys should be used to taking balls to the face by now."

Reply #117030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fosbury sounds like a wanker if you ask me :)

Reply #117035 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Fosbury - if 17 people were arrested at the cricket - yet it wasnt reported anywhere, how did you know about it (and how did The Advertiser on Saturday know about it??)

Reply #117036 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think their point is that it's not such a big deal whereas soccer hooliganism is always big news.

Reply #117038 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BTW, Fosbury - you suggested relocating people from the top tier to behind the baskets - those aren't always great seats.

Reply #117039 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Interesting that Fresh just had a Adelaide United rep on discusing how good soccer is and to ignore the small incidents that happened, damage control that was well done IMO.

Could not see the sixers acting that quickly to a similar situation.

Reply #117047 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

as some one that grew up on english football i agree the atmosphere at the basketball just doesn't compare. watch a euroleague or even a collage game and we don't even come close, our crowds are in a coma compared to them but thats because thats is the culture.
as to the seals even we feel under used we are expected to hand out the dribbled instead of shoot out the front(some one from security forgot to put the ring away after a game so it got stolen and never replaced) we would have regular kids coming back game after a game to shoot around with us (and dont forget our legendary game against the posse) it was all about building the atmosphere of the game.
i and my family are involved in the sport i coach district basketball and all three of my kids play district so i enjoy the game win or lose because it's good to watch diffrent defence and offence styles and discuss it with my kids and point things out for them to watch for and learn after all we are there to watch the sport first then support the team or is that just me.

Reply #117052 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I went to 3 NBA games recently (albeit in Seattle) and I would say Sixers crowds compare very well to them. Obviously this year has been a bit of a fizzer - but in past years when the Adelaide crowd gets going, the atmosphere is better than 15,000 in the 4th of a tight Sonics/New Orleans game.

Reply #117055 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Kent - question - what are the demographics, and audience numbers of fresh on a monday night?

Considering the Reds are trying to promote themselves as a "family" sport, surely this 'apology' on Fresh would be a moot point.

Reply #117059 | Report this post

Crooked  
Years ago

I have sat basically directly next to the seals all year.......they are still loud and still cheer and get into the opponents face but this year they seem like they are there to work as opposed to last year where it looked to be flat out fun. Part of that would be because the club has made them do basically everything apart from play the game this season.

Fosbury - you make the point that basketball isn't as popular is it used to be, which is true and exactly why the club need to sell the game as an 'entertainment package'. This season we seem to have gone on a downwards slope in terms of entertainment. The old adage 'you need to spend money to make money' applies here. The pregame has become stale, last year there was a bit of initiative shown but it has evaporated. The lights go out, the dancers do the same old tired routine to the same song, the players come out to a 3/4 empty stadium and generally no-one cares. I am not saying this needs to be superbowl halftime material, but it needs to be kept fresh. Also little touches such as the drummer boys in the corner last year are gone, the mascot (yes I understand the reason) is gone and the club song (granted we havent played well enough to hear it) is gone. We need all these back plus more to entice people to spend a night at the basketball. If we sell it as a package this is how we can turn the occasional supporter into a FAN.

Soccer is riding the crest of the world cup wave and the NBL could learn a few things from the way the FFA has marketed the A-League. There needs to be more interaction between the club and the public, people need to feel connected to the club and the league.

In regards to the music - it's not so much the music being played (although some of it I question as to why) or how often it's played, it's the TIMING. We need to use songs with a steady beat which can be easily clapped/stamped along to in times when the team needs a lift or when their is a flat spot. When we get on a run the crowd normally take over and get loud on their own.

In recent years the Adelaide crowd have become doscile. We used to get loud, we used to be feared, we used to intimidate. All that is now gone. Bad results and declining crowds have contributed to that, and thats why we need Neil to prompt us to 'make some noise'. I wish he didn't have to do it either but the crowd seem to have taken doses of valium.

So hopefully we can all get loud this week and support the boys, they need us.

Reply #117064 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

I don't know why everyone is bagging our crowds, we have some of the biggest crowd numbers across the league!

Yes for some games you don't get many people behind the rings but our stadium is bigger than most of the others around Australia, and to a game that we were almost certain to lose, more than 5000 people turned up! Bag the team, but don't say we don't get enough people to the games, especially with the way this season has been going

Reply #117067 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Crooked, how do you get loud when the team play like they did on Saturday. In fact most of this season, there has been little reason to get loud. People get loud when they see something exciting. I have gone to every game this season and have not had a great deal of fun. I certainly have no reason to get loud when I don't like what I see. The crowd is most excited when they see episodes of 6ers making a come back from behind. The excitement is stirred up and they get extremely noisy. How many of these episodes have you seen this season? Don't blame the crowd for not getting loud, blame the reason behind it. The only pople that can prompt the crowd to make some noise is the team.

Reply #117068 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Just on the whole basketball / soccer crowd differences, I went to the Arsenal Bolton FA Cup match yesterday and found it interesting that so many of the chants aren't about inspiring your team but more about abusing opposition supporters!! Away fans sit in a seperate area and are usually surrounded by a wall of police as well as fencing to keep them safe from the home fans. A lot of stadiums also make the away fans wait in the stadium for a while after the game to stop any trouble outside the stadium.

This agro and passion makes for a great atmosphere at the games, but if basketball ever had to seperate opposing fans it would be a dark day. College basketball seems to be the happy medium, rabid fans making noise through the game, but no real trouble in the stands between opposing supporters.

And if you think the music at Sixers games is annoying you should try a British Basketball League game. I went to one last year and WHOLE GAME was commentated over a loud speaker by someone with a ghetto London accent (you know the type) who didn't really know much about the game. "Griffen passes to Jones, who dribbles, then passes back to Griffen who shoots. Wow, what an amaaaazing shot innit". (regulation jump shot). This wears thin after about 8 seconds.

Reply #117070 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

billo as a liverpool supporter i have heard the crowd going back and forth at each other even to the extent for ripping a certain teams supporters claiming how many of them they have killed.
who went to games last year? which team was it when a supporter group had a broom i think it was and the crowd in that section cheered when some one grabbed it and rode it like a horse. last year there was alot more going on in the crowd compared to this year like the posse,the farley boys even the mix crew sitting at one end all gone. sometimes the stuff going on in the crowd would distract you from the game but what a great atmosphere would u agree?

Reply #117085 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yogee, you are correct to quote 'apology' as it was essentially a free marketing opportunity to a young demographic.

Reply #117086 | Report this post

Fosbury  
Years ago

My comparison b/w United and The Sixers was not the crowd or what sport is better or who has been arrested at which sport more - it was that the Sixers should let the game do the talking not the all the bells and whistles that they have now. It all comes back to the game - we are there to see the game not hear rubbish music distracting us from what our original intent was - Baskteball and Our 36ers.

If they want music why not get a live band to play "fight" music like they do in College Ball - that would be cool.

Reply #117090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crooked, The Valium helps with the suicidal thoughts during a 30 point flogging.

Reply #117106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:02 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754