olskoolgamer
Years ago

Payton Interview

Interesting interview with Gary Payton:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16563080.htm

He talks about trashing people with mum jokes, and my favourite, calling Charles Barkley up after winning a championship (Chuck said they couldn't do it):
"You can bleep, bleep, bleep.' That's what I told him. That message was about four or five minutes. I kept going on."

Topic #10209 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

payton is a chump, jumping from team to team to get that ring, its really sad.

Reply #116965 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Obviously you havent followed his career very closely to call him a chump?

He got traded to Milwaukee, left as a free agent to go to an allstar Lakers team where he would be a starter (who wouldnt in the twilight of their career?), then was going to stay at LA till his good friend Shaq convinced him to join Miami.

Not many tougher players around than the Glove.

Reply #116968 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Kwest...that last past isn't correct. He spent the second half of his season in LA complaing to anyone who would listen about the triangle. The fact he all of sudden could hardly guard anyone for some reason went unnoticed by Payton.

When the Lakers cleaned house he was traded to Boston, but refused to report to the Celtics, stalling the trade. By the time he finally did agree to report to the Celtics, the Lakers had lost Marcus Banks who Boston was suddenly no longer willing to part with.

When his contract was up with the Celtics was when he jumped ship to Miami. I personally didn't shed a tear when Payton or his ring-chasing buddy Alonzo finally found what they were looking for.

Reply #116981 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

To put Zo in the same basket as Payton is a bit harsh. He put in years of sold work in Miami (kidney Transplant along the way) only to run into the Bulls in the playoffs. He deserved his ring!

Reply #117007 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Oops, sorry.. how did I forget Boston? (Probably the same reason anyone would forget them!) My bad..

Reply #117021 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Lloyd Braun...I don't want to speak too poorly of a man who obviously has some strength of character to come back from what he went through. But let's be honest, he has done his fair share of ring chasing.

Despite how good the Heat organisation were to Zo during the whole kidney ordeal he doesn't come back to them for his initial comeback because the heat were horrible. Instead he signs with the Nets who just happened to be back to back Eastern Conference Champions.

But when the Nets fortunes changed between the loss of Kenyon Martin and the trade for Carter, he complained about being on a losing team despite the fact he had managed to play only a hand full of games for them the year before.

He's traded to Toronto, but they are worse than the Nets so what does he do? He holds out and refuses to play for them. He wins that battle of wills with the Raptors to be freed from his contract in order to re-sign with the Heat who now has Shaq and were back among the NBA's elite.

I'll cut Mourning some slack for what he has been through but good kidney, bad kidney or no kidney, ring chasing is ring chasing.

Reply #117028 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Why wouldnt you want to play with a group of guys who are likely to win a ring ?

I cant see why you are being critical of these guys for moving teams - if their teams had decided to use them as trade bait and moved them on several times you wouldnt be calling them ring chasers would you ?

Its a business - not every team has to have players ala Stockton who stayed with Utah for 18 yrs (?). Players come and go - if they want to move around to a team that they feel will win a 'ship - then good luck to them .

Think about the thousands of 'local' (US) fans in Miami that have NOW seen a championship team on the floor - they dont give a crap if the team hasnt been together for more than a couple of years.

Dont be critical of a guy like Payton because he has moved around- be critical of his game.

Reply #117033 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

You can't hate either of them for chasing that title.

They were both awesome players in their younger days, Payton and Kemp taking the Sonics to the Finals, and the Tenacious Zo keeping most teams he was on afloat with his burning desire.

So when they get older and knew their time was coming up, why not chase the one thing that eluded them, even if it is off the bench, it's not like they were "Stars" anymore, just role players. Geez, get off your high-horse, O moral crusader.

If they were 23 yo and doing that then yes, hate them all you want, because they still have time on their side, but these two didn't/don't. If you were 64 and about to retire, you'd worked at the company for 40 years, and then another company said you can work here for a year and earn a million, wouldn't you?? And if you said no.........LIAR.

Reply #117105 | Report this post

i dont have a problem with zo or payton winning the title... both of them earned their keep during the finals

Reply #117120 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:48 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754