Anonymous
Years ago

Phil staying, 'speculation ludicrous'

ADELAIDE coach Phil Smyth and 36ers owner Mal Hemmerling have branded speculation Smyth has resigned as "ludicrous" and "disruptive" to the team's quest for an NBL finals berth.

The Sixers are in Singapore today for tomorrow night's match against the Slingers - defeat for either team spelling an end to its top-eight playoff hopes.
"I'm not a quitter," Smyth said.

"The speculation is ludicrous.

"I suppose this is the kind of thing you have to come to expect when the team isn't going well.

"Anyone who knows me knows I hate losing with a passion and the blowtorch is certainly on for us now in Singapore.

"We don't need this kind of thing now when we're trying to win a game and make the finals.

"It's just nonsense."
Full story
Smyth alleged the speculation had arisen from an unsourced rumour by Ken Cunningham and Tony Pilkington on 5AA.

Hemmerling confirmed Smyth had a contract for the next Philips Championship and that both he and his assistant Steve Breheny already had prepared plans for the 2007-08 NBL season.

Topic #10217 | Report this topic

benji  
Years ago

Is that the same as the Board has his full support????

Reply #117076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the speculation is ludicrous why has mal taken submissions from two other coaches who have also put up plans for future seasons?

Reply #117077 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Thank God, the current poor season is a result of so many new players not fitting in, not the coach who has led the group for years. All this nonsense about Phil being disinterested. Even if he didn't care about the team, surely he would not deliberately embarrass himself by doing a poor job. His pride has always been on the line. His achievements of winning championships may be a thing of the past but he is not about to walk away with shame. I doubt he is ready to go until he brings back the glory of championship years and end his career on a high.

Reply #117078 | Report this post

EP  
Years ago

who are the two coaches??

Reply #117079 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Did Mal himself say he has taken submissions from 2 other coaches or is that speculation as well?

Reply #117080 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EP, Stacker and Ninnis. EC, I have heard that as well so I wouldn't call it pure speculation. Maybe a bit like a government agency having an obligation to put a job out for tender even if they prefer the incumbent to be returned?

Many clubs have been sending their teams up to Singapore early so they can acclimatise but apparently it's still a very tough environment for visiting sides. I don't doubt they can do it (would never bet the house against them!), but just think that without Willie and the Slingers also desperate for a win, that it's going to be a tough one to get.

Reply #117081 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Contracted for Next year and submitted plans for next season"

Screams out "We are trying to see if the contract is watertight" and "We want a picture of what Laurel and Hardy want to do, so we can compare it to other candidates"

The fact is, however, they are contracted and Adelaide will NOT pay them out. They will either have to walk or not meet any (if there IS any) performace criteria for the contract to be void.

The Front Runner for Smyth's job, AT THIS STAGE, is definitely Phil Smyth.

Reply #117123 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Done, dusted, gone.

Reply #117125 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Izzy, media, Hawks or Bullets?

Reply #117126 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

More importantly Izzy....based on what?

Reply #117137 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Wouldnt it mean Mal would have egg on his face by letting Phil go now after coming out and strongly saying he has a contract for next season?

I would suggest Phil will be staying...unless of course they have an "arrangement" that Phil will "resign"

Reply #117154 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He wouldn't resign. If he left, he would go to another opportunity in media, surely?

Reply #117158 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

EC, your blind faith in Phil is truly awe-inspiring ...

Reply #117162 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I personally would like to see Phil have at least one more season.

He does not deserve to be remembered for this "annus horribilis" season, and I think 1 more season, with purse strings more relaxed to assist in better recruiting will see fortunes return to where they have been before.

However, if it becomes obvious even early in the season that even with better talent on court that Phil isnt getting it done, Mal should not be shy about cutting his losses.

Reply #117165 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Yogee, what purse strings? - we spent the cap. Problem is we spent it on guys like Wheeler, Farley, Nash, Mastro etc etc. instead of re-signing guys like Holmes, Forman etc BEFORE their contracts expired.

Reply #117171 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Melvin Corpuscle, were you invited to make a submission for the head coach position? If not, why not? If so, why didn't you win? You're obviously better than Phil, or so you think.

Reply #117183 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think it's reasonably easy to read between the lines in this article. It's saying that speculation he has already resigned is ridiculous, but it is not saying that speculation he will not be there next season is ridiculous.

It says he has a contract for next season and has put forward his plans, but it does not say he has a contract which both parties will definitely be honouring.

My interpretation of the article is that Phil will certainly see out this season, and could very well be there next year, although this isn't as water tight. Personally I'd like to see Ninnis given a chance as top dog.

Reply #117189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give Phil one more season.
Breheny as his assistant and Ninnis to replace KB as his other assistant.

Reply #117197 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

IF Mal does want to change coaches is there another position at the club that he could move Phil into - similar to the NBA where some coaches dissappear to GM roles or development roles. Is there a suitable position that Phil could take up to save face on his part and Mal's as well?

Im guesing the answer is no but stranger things have happened.

Reply #117200 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Statman,

Why couldn't he be given the same role as John Reid (at the Crows) and Peter Rhode at (the Port Power)but for basketball.

General Manager  basketball operations

But he IMHO he had to stay, maybe they will look at that at the end of the 2007/08 season.

Reply #117205 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC - congratulations - here's the award for World's Most Flawed Argument.

Reply #117211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mal has definately spooken to Stacker and Ninnis via their agents , deal is either would bring Newley, plus others, Phil cant/wont, simple business decision really

Reply #117215 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Jimmy,

I don't think Phil would want to take an operations manager type role, bit of a step down from head coach don't you think?

Also I don't think there's the same need for that position for an NBL club, for a start you've got 1/3 the players to manage, 1/10 the crowd to think about, comparatively minimal media commitments and requirements, logistically it's no where near as demanding (although if Phil's lost interest in the game then it might suit him well!!)

Reply #117219 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

No way to Stacker, he is a dud coach! Never done anything, always had a talented roster and can not deliver.

Smythe will be there for the rest of his contract.

Reply #117237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 time NBL coach of the year and under 23 gold medal coach is nothing???? give me a break, people may not like the guy but he sure as hell can coach!

Reply #117241 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Yeah 2 time coach of the year, with a talented roster that should have won at least 2 championships. A man that got the sack from the Crocs. A man who can only coach Juniors. That squad of u/23 was talented and i think Mark Price as coach would have won as the gold medal, oh the championships were in australia too! Get real Annom, Stacker definately is no good, his record shows it!

Reply #117246 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DrB, you are completely destroying your credibility here.

This "Stacker definately is no good, his record shows it" after acknowledging his awards - bizarre.

Let's just say you personally don't rate him, and leave it at that rather than float your blatant exaggerations around the place as though they were fact.

Reply #117254 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

apologies for my anti stacker rant isacc, yes i do not like him, i have heard negative talk about the guy.

I would rather see Ninnis here anyday!

Reply #117270 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DrB, what about both Stacker and Ninnis together?

Talk to enough people and you'll find bad things said of everyone. The field seems to be as split on Stacker as it is on Smyth TBH.

Reply #117276 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Only if Ninnis is HC and Stacker AC .. ha ha lOL that would be great! no seriously i would not like to have stacker at the club. I do not see him as a good coach. The roster he had at the crocs was great but they could never win a championship. He has limited plays, and coaches for his own survial. I think Ninnis would be exciting and offer some injection back to the SA basketball.

Reply #117277 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Anon 117241

Isnt a 3 time championship coach and former Boomers coach, plus many player awards a decent coaching CV as well??

Oops, that would be the current coach.

Reply #117294 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

Phil was on AA Tuesday night. Said he had spoken to Mal from Sydney and assured him he wasn't going to resign. Mal then told Phil that he wouldn't accept it anyway.

Reply #117357 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:58 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754