friend
Years ago

SASI

Im concerned with the fact that there is so much pressure placed on young players to get into SASI in order to progress thier basketball career. E.g. Get into state teams. Can anyone tell me of players who have been involved in a state team who did not go to SASI.
I just feel that there are great players in the league who are missing out on State teams because they missed a TI camp and as a result didn't get selected into SASI.

Topic #1022 | Report this topic

Informer  
Years ago

In fear of sounding up myself I quit SASI in u16 and still made u18 state team. I may have been in a weaker age group. But I think coaches just go for the best players not who is or isn't in SASI.

Reply #11359 | Report this post

jjj  
Years ago

Chris Clausen from Centrals made the under 18 state team this year, and is now involved in the Acadamy Team. He was not a SASI player.

Reply #11362 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

Nick Hambour was not part of SASI. Infact he didn't play district from u14s to u20s

Reply #11363 | Report this post

Fat Elvis  
Years ago

Guys I know who have played State while not in SASI that year.

Jarrod Younie
Ben Evans
Tom Slowinski
Todd Smyth

However I don't think that anybody from SA has gome to the AIS without being involved in SASI.

Reply #11364 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Geez fat Elvis, we wonder what club your from???

Reply #11367 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

2000 SA Metro 16 Boys - Jason Clarke (Sturt) wasn't in SASI (though he was added the next year?) nor was Aaron Pilkington (Centrals/Norwood), nor were two of the Reserves (Matt Barker - Norwood, Alex ? - West).

2002 SA Metro 18 Boys - Ng Pini Webber Eze Clint Leroy Benson McKenzie Smith Newley - all SASI boys.

2004 SA Metro 16 Boys - a couple weren't in the program, one I believe got added to the program before they went away.

Reply #11371 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Alex Stern is the West guy Libertine. He was a reserve in 2002 U18 state as well.

Jason Clarke got into the SASI program but rarely turned up, from my understanding.

Reply #11373 | Report this post

Mid Court Screen  
Years ago

Matt Illman never went to SASI and he went on to play NBL and could still be there if he didn't like playing in the mud!

I think getting the opportunity to play and get good minutes in the ABL at a young age is a great way to get noticed...much more so than playing juniors and being involved in SASI. As someone said tho its hard to get to the AIS without being involved in SASI.

Reply #11379 | Report this post

Joey Jo Jo Jr.  
Years ago

Mid Court Screen,

Was half way thru writing about Illman when I saw your post.
Don't think he played state either or did he play 20's.

Anyway a Norwood player almost made state last year from a division two team.

Anyone can play state as long as they.
Come to trials.
Can get the job done on court.
Are under the age limit.

Nothing else matters.

Reply #11386 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

(Joey Jo Jo Jr - he was/is in the program though, isn't he?)

I think the message to the kids should be that you don't have to have a SASI singlet in your wardrobe to have a successful SENIOR career - SASI is all about the development of potential demonstrated in juniors! It's up to the players to determine how they utilise their own potential and work their arses off to get somewhere where it really counts in their club's senior program - SASI will obviously give you a good base (etc) to develop the skills needed, but it's not the be-all and end-all.

For me, it's just highlighted in SA because of our low playing numbers - how big are the ITC squads in Victoria comparatively with the numbers of kids they have playing in the Championship and Division 1 levels who could realistically play state ball? In SA, U16 SASI squads are what, 16-20 players? How many players in a league of 60ish could play state successfully? Realistically 30ish?

There's too many examples in all sports of 'late bloomers' who go on - look at Andrew Bogut - didn't make state till U20s, made the AIS on a wildcard. Your game hasn't stopped getting better until you decide it has!

Reply #11413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the norwood div 2 player should have not be there funny how come so many norwood players made state

Reply #11435 | Report this post

Carlo Bertetic.  
Years ago

Why is that funny, that so many players from norwood made the state team?

Reply #11436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha, that is probably why the u16 state team didn't do too well

Reply #11437 | Report this post

Carlo Bertetic.  
Years ago

Thats a bit rough. No thats just crap!! Those players deservered their spots. If you think that they werent good enough then who would replace them with. And you cant blame one specific group of players from a club for the overall
performance of the team.

Reply #11439 | Report this post

jumpin george  
Years ago

that is crap...i agree...neverthe less, i think the message is there are some early bloomers who make state in under 16s and 18s, and never make any sort of impact at senior level, and then those who dont make any state teams, but just find a way to impact at state league level...i can think of a number of ABL starters who never made state.
great post by libertine!!

Reply #11446 | Report this post

Mr Hundit  
Years ago

Carlo, great comment to Anonymous, the only comment I have to who ever Anonymous is, is that with Forestville and Norwood as two of the top 4 teams in the state why wouldn't they have more players in the team. Great job to all players and coaches of the state team for 16s

Reply #11473 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

It is the responsibility of the clubs to develop the late bloomers that don't get into SASI. How can SASI be reasonably expected to spend resources on developing players that don't make an impact in div 1/2 in their own club - everyone would be up in arms!

I have seen advertisements from Forestville and Sturt that they are doing programs that develop late bloomers - I assume everyone else has something similar?

With respect to not making State teams because they are not involved in SASI 'sounds' silly! The state coaches want to win, surely they would pick the best teams - in their opinion (and maybe not yours).

Reply #11485 | Report this post

Rocketfan  
Years ago

Both PaulRogers and Nathan Hawkes had no SASI involvement,with neither being selected for state teams either(until Rogers grew to seven foot and was picked in 20s).Think Hawkes was a reserve a couple of times,but definately no SASI involvement.If your child is overlooked it means NOTHING,most that are selected become burnt out and often lose their love for the game itself!!

Reply #11488 | Report this post

incog  
Years ago

",most that are selected become burnt out and often lose their love for the game itself!! "

I agree this was the case in the past but I dont beleive it is so these days. Most (IE greater than 50%) players in say U16/U18 state seem to go on to play at least some ABL.

Reply #11489 | Report this post

Past SASI rep  
Years ago

I was a past SASI rep and went under the coaching of exceptionally nice coaches, like Paul Arnott.
But after a few months i became very tired and bored of repeating the same drills a number of times.
If i can say one thing "DISCIPLINE IS ONE THING, BEING A JERK IS ANOTHER"
Please take that on board SASI coaches. (Not all)

Reply #11663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SASI need to extend players. Push them harder and maybe the coaches could help instead of just standing around but in the end they make comments like - he didn't improve - maybe it is up to the coaches to HELP him improve. Not stand around trying to comform with the click of the "In" group coaches.

Reply #11715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

look around there are better players that are not in sasi still seem funny that norwood have more players in there i do not think that they that good

Reply #12998 | Report this post

Pure Baller  
Years ago

ryan fraceshinis from north made state in his 2nd year 18s was never in sasi

Reply #13034 | Report this post

Carlo Bertetic.  
Years ago

Which grade are you refering to Anonymous?

Reply #13041 | Report this post

nwd  
Years ago

look around you got to tell me that there are not better players around than the one in sasi wake up

Reply #14427 | Report this post

Soft tissue  
Years ago

Past SASI rep, SASI coaches are there to help you improve your game not to tell you how great you are. If you can't handle feedback then you will never improve. How do you honestly expect to get better without repetition. You sound like one of those lazy players who thinks you are better than what you are.

Friday night hero, Nationals flop!

Reply #14458 | Report this post

nwd  
Years ago

you cannot tell me that you cannot pick players that could be in sasi
it who you are not how you play

Reply #14711 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

nwd, SASI would like to congratulate you on your ability to make random anonymous criticisms. Very impressive.

If you have any concerns about the SASI selection process, I'd suggest you speak to your coaching director, who can pass them on to the SASI head coach.

Reply #14713 | Report this post

Carlo Bertetic  
Years ago

Nwd you obviously have no idea about they age group otherwise you wouldnt be making such stupid comments

Reply #14751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hello

Reply #14849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why do nwd players have more in sasi in the girls and boys

Reply #15567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes you are right i agree there are players from other clubs in the girls and boys team that could be in sasi is it want club you play for mmmmmm

Reply #15569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are you two talking about?

Reply #15571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So SASI coaches don't beleive there are players with more potential out there. I am not saying all the SASI selections are wrong on the hole they do a reasonable job but they must update squads more often. They have a similar squad for like 2 to 3 years many things change in that time.

Reply #15791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want to improve u don't need to be SASI u can do it urself and probably coach urself better.

Reply #15792 | Report this post

chik  
Years ago

i agree, sasi need 2 hav a larger selection of players but some of the players they do pick train themselves up for the sasi team! But I have noticed that some players do lose the love of the game and bcum weak in their game bcoz they think they're the best there is..........and they're not, they r equal 2 who ever plays wif both heart n soul! That's wat annoys me!

Reply #17560 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

I dont know how many of you are in or went through SASI, but i thought it was boring, and destructive to good creative players. Sure some players blossomed from it, i wont deny that, but many players that went in, came out a lot worse off. and i definately agree with the changing of the squads, especially since the age players are taken is about maturity time, some players are still young and mature later. The only good thing SASI does for a player on the whole is increase their chances of making state, even when better, non-SASI players are availabe...

Reply #17602 | Report this post

andrew  
Years ago

SASI is the most overated training squad there is. All SASI does is fatigue players and waste their thursday nights with a bunch of technical bullshit. Id rather go n play streetball than go and get pissed off by gliddon and msecke.

Reply #17616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

too true, where does getting screamed out, running penalties, feeling like you are nobody get you?

Reply #17618 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

*sighs*

Reply #17623 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

agree whoeheartedyly.
SASI is overpressuring, and destroys the creativity that ALL great players have, well mainly guards anyway. Gliddon might have been a good coach in the 60s when it was his time, but nowadays his techniques and methods are purely out done, not too mention the blatant favouritism of sturt and forestville players in SASI and state. as for mesecke, well, had him as a coach and lets just say im glad he isnt at my club anymore...

Reply #17630 | Report this post

chik  
Years ago

They need 2 b fair and rotate players in and out of their teams every year altho if a certain player they think is vital 2 the team shud b kept then keep them. I think the real problem is people hav with sasi is Neil Gliddon!

Reply #17949 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

So, the recent graduation of record numbers of SA players from SASI into the AIS over the past 5 or so years, including the production of 3 NBL players, is just pathetic and old school?

I went through the SASI system, didn't graduate because I was lazy and didn't work on my game and got overtaken by players who will go far in ball - but I don't hold any grudges, and I recognise the quality coaching that goes on there.

There's a lot of sour grapes on this forum.

Reply #17974 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Especially from CHik. Good post Libertine.

Reply #17977 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i used to shit myself on thursday nights before going to sasi, nothing came easy and yes, gliddon was a tyrant. but welcome to the real world people. sasi taught me about pressure, about taking things on the chin, and about being a nobody. thats the whole point. sasi is an elite program, and a very good one at that, no one is above it and it is designed to push you until you can hardly bear it. thats what being an elite athlete is about. the best thing? now when i have a face off with my boss at work, it seems lame compared to those cold, cruel words of gliddon.

Reply #17981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going back to the original post...

SASI or no SASI, the bottom line is, if you train hard in WHATEVER team you are in, and take in as much as you can from the coach and other players around you, you will be fine.

In the end, your performance at ABL level when you eventually make it is more important.

Thats what i think anyway.

Reply #17987 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

anon - you make me laugh.

anonymous - precisely. Looks at guys today at Woodville who were cut form SASI early now going to be starting in the ABL this year. Ultimately, SASI is a good breeding ground for successful players - but at the same time, hard work won't go unrewarded.

Reply #18015 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

SASI is a joke getting bossed around by a smoking, (removed) (removed) who really has no idea!

(Mod: Potentially defamatory.)

Reply #18043 | Report this post

chik  
Years ago

it must b u who has no idea!

Reply #18264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sasi drains peoples love most sasi players don't show any emotion on the court emotion and anger are strong tools sasi players are well skilled but some r just robots

Reply #18517 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

YOu guys have any idea?

Reply #18518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, blame the sports psychologists. The problem is Australian basketball has picked up on the theories of psychologists that work with track and field, cycling and other individual type events.

They talk about composure in pressure situations but forget about our animal instincts of fight or flee. I agree basketball is not an emotionless sport like bike riding. I think teaching people to take the emotion out of the game and play with total composure is setup by people that have never played.

Reply #18520 | Report this post

real  
Years ago

(Removed. Potentially defamatory.)

Reply #18522 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

who was the player

Reply #18523 | Report this post

real  
Years ago

Steve Ramsey

Reply #18524 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No personal attacks please. Please re-read the first post on this topic and keep things on track.

Reply #18525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon,

Please don't make broad generalisations about Sport Psychologists. Maybe you had a bad experience with one but that doesn't mean that everyone has or will.

Just like coaching: there are some great coaches and some not so good coaches but none of us who've played for bad coaches should bad mouth the entire coaching profession.

I think in this day and age, more and more athletes and teams are using Sport Pyschologists for good reasons - because they do good work.

Reply #18528 | Report this post

unreal  
Years ago

real i hope you aren't a tigers person

"and of those state teams and sasi squads"

please name all the players so you can prove you know what you're talking about.

Who were the reserves for the state team(s) Steve made?

If you really know Steve
which I doubt
you're a jerk for saying he couldn't achieve on his own game.

Didn't think this thread would stay quiet this week.

Libertine thanks you usually save me from having to post/ reply to all the sour grapes.

anon #17981 Great post
quick, correct and funny

Reply #18543 | Report this post

real  
Years ago

Jared Wilson, Scott Klenner, Wes Knights?, Paul Robinson, Kane Hornahrt,Justin Sweet, luke Callier, to name a few, the only one that is still playing is Scott Thur, dont hate on me mate, ask any of these guys what they think and im sure theyll tell ya the same thing!

Reply #18545 | Report this post

unreal  
Years ago

No big deal man you can have your opinion i guess im saying who's spot did he take.
Wouldn't the state team have been picked by Richard Orlick?
the coach?

Reply #18547 | Report this post

real  
Years ago

you would think so, especially not 2nd year under 20's when Kinsmen was the coach (tool)

Reply #18549 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sorry guys, but this was at least 10 years ago. How about we move on and get over it?

Reply #18552 | Report this post

unreal  
Years ago

A long time ago a coach who shall remain nameless was coaching one club and started dating a girl who's brother played at another club.
At the time people said he's only going out with her so the brother would change clubs.
That was 30 years ago now, they have three children.

Those people back then were full of shit

Are you any different?

Reply #18555 | Report this post

real  
Years ago

well if you do know him, you would know that he got rid of her 2 weeks after the nationals. you tell me?

Reply #18557 | Report this post

unreal  
Years ago

Well if you do know him and her you'll know she broke up with him before he ever played state.

Reply #18559 | Report this post

real  
Years ago

sorry dude ya wrong!

Reply #18561 | Report this post

unreal  
Years ago

If he did 2 weeks after state dont ya think someone besides you would remember.

Look I even know why they broke up, I'm sorry to burst your bubble but he lied to you to save face.

Reply #18562 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #18563 | Report this post

unreal  
Years ago

Could there be a case that is too trivial for Junge Judy even?

Like anon said
this hapened OVER ten years ago
I don't know why this guy would start making up stuff about it now.

that was good isaac

Reply #18564 | Report this post

Judge Judy  
Years ago

From the first post "Im concerned with the fact that there is so much pressure placed on young players to get into SASI ...... they missed a TI camp and as a result didn't get selected into SASI."

Life is full of pressure!! Wake up people. Want a box of tissues and baby's nappies?! Maybe the only pressure on some players comes from their friends, parents, coaches and co-players, some who may "talk=up" how great and fantastic they are as a player and then say why they should be in SASI and not someone else already in there?? If anyone wants to succeed in anything THEY have to put the effort in and NEVER give up. That person's own hunger, desire, drive and energy will determine their long term success, and that will no doubt be past any SASI age group, maybe even past Scott N's Academy. If you look around the stadiums, there are a number of SASI associated coaches and they DO watch a lot of games and take note of all players in all teams, even seen many State Coaches scouting lots of teams before and during State Team trials. ONLY excuse you have is yourself, and the amount of effort you do or don't put in week in and week out!!

To all the negative posters, so much of your character and outlook truely comes through... e.g. can't handle pressure, sour grapes, bitchy, pessimistic, quitters, blameless, unaccountable, undriven, easyriders, unable to see the basics, and honestly, you just did or don't want it enough! Don't pass blame or reason to anyone else but yourself... live with what you do and decide. Let others do same.

To all the SASI Coaches and Neill G.
KEEP up the great work, sort the wheat from the chaff, work them even harder, find the real hungry ones with eyes of fire & desire, and grow those people to be the best that they can be. If they don't become Basketball Leaders, ABA or State or 36rs, I'm damn certain they will at least become great society Leaders, top coaches, first class employees, and people with excellent attitudes and disciplines. With hindsight when they are older, then they may appreciate all that the pressure of SASI (or State or even just one Club coach) did for them.

Reply #18587 | Report this post

Ramrock  
Years ago

Gliddon is good for SA basketball there is no doubt that.

Reply #37889 | Report this post

Heath Ohlin  
Years ago

It doesn't matter how good you are in victoiran basketball, if you don't have the name you won't get picked for anything.

Reply #64824 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Hey, never been good enough for SASI.

Basketball is a game of pressure, and to make it into the best teams, you need to suck up a lot of different situations to achieve greatness.

Some people have natural ability, some have to work physically harder to achieve the same skill level.

Some people are born/nutured and can deal with mental stress better than others.

The coach of any team should be doing wat is in the best interests of the team as a whole, and following this, SASI coaches should believe they are doing wat is best for the player they are coaching.

Individual development of players (ie - SASI)would logically involve a lot of skill repetition, so that in a game situation the skill is automatic, not a long thought process about how to execute teh skill properly.

Having said that, their needs to be a mixture of "game-like" and skill repetition drills - players like to actually play.

I don't know the SASI coaches apart from names, so i can't comment on their strengths, weaknesses etc.

Every person has their personal limit where they draw the line, be it at work, home or sport. Some people stick with it, some choose not to - it doesn't make you a bad person.

GETTING ON HERE AND BITCHING ABOUT PEOPLE AND PAST EVENTS, BAGGING PRESENT AND PAST PLAYERS - THAT MAKES YOU A BAD PERSON.

SUCK IT UP AND GET ON WITH LIFE. IT'S TOO SHORT. :|

Reply #64866 | Report this post

dragons  
Years ago

hi i want to get into the nbl when im older do you guys know what sort of training i should do daily thanks

Reply #82379 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754