raytri
Years ago

The Sixers Need an Image Makeover

The team at times appears to play without passion. Consequently the fans are losing passion for the team.

Playing for the Sixers must be viewed as a bad career move by the top players. And when they leave they don't contemplate a return.

There appears to be little loyalty for players like Dusty Rychart,whilst the likes of Mark Nash are given extended contracts.

At present we appear to attract players in the last stage of their careers, or those looking for a spot to recover from recurrent injuries, before playing ball elsewhere.

Regaining a positive image will take time, and a clear focus from the owner and the coaching staff, it won't happen over night. And I don't mean a new name or colours etc. The team needs to get back to their roots, e.i.assisting the clubs, promotions with school, things that they used to do....

The hierachy should be talking to Brad Newely immediately, we need him when his contract is up. Perhaps with an offer that is not an ultimatum this time. He would pack the Dome.

Topic #10249 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree.

But consider this - if they were talking to Newley, would they say it publically?

Reply #117605 | Report this post

Randy Watson  
Years ago

Ahhh Isaac my son.....you are very wise.

Reply #117609 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i would hope that Smyth, if he is staying as coach, is talking to Newley, i would imagine every club would be talking to Newley, well any coach/management should be talking to him!

Reply #117614 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

So Newley is not contracted for next year?

what about Ingles? what about any of the other South Aussies we would love to have back...who is available?

Reply #117615 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

There should be a free agents list out in a few weeks time but does it really matter if they are from SA or not?

Surely we just want to see a team that competes hard and is successful....

Reply #117662 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As a minimum, but crowds will respond best to exciting and/or local players on top of that.

Who would you rather watch play? CJ Bruton or Brett Maher?

Reply #117663 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

CJ

Reply #117676 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

..what else would one expect from a Vince Carter fan?

Reply #117678 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

"Playing for the Sixers must be viewed as a bad career move by the top players. And when they leave they don't contemplate a return"........Martin Cattalini, Willie Farley, Jacob Holmes has already stated he would like to return to Adelaide. Dusty would probably return under the right conditions.

Reply #117694 | Report this post

skink  
Years ago

id rather brett over cj any day,you look at the top teams and they all have a solid import combo, i agree the local talent brings the crowd but the the imports flood the gates.
either way i will never get rid of my season ticket.

Reply #117697 | Report this post

Sixer Girl  
Years ago

Brett Maher pounds CJ any day! If it wasn't for the fact that CJ has played for Goorjian for a lot of his career and Maher never has, Brett would have been the one favoured for the Australian team!

Reply #117843 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My point was that many of us would rather have Maher because he's our local hero.

EC - Farley won't return. Cattalini and Rychart would return under the right conditions, i.e., MONEY.

Reply #117941 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

If you saw the foxtel interview with Farley during the game, he had a very embarrassed smile when asked if he would be with sixers next season, and said his agent has advised him to to speak about that. It was also mentioned that his father is ill and getting back to Chicago in the off-season is a priority for him.

Reply #117950 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And what did you take from that? That he'd stay or go?

Reply #117951 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Neither really.

Reply #117953 | Report this post

Happy_Harry  
Years ago

My take out of the Foxtel interview was; Farley was already on the plane and wanting to leave Adelaide ASAP.

If he plays in Australia next year it will be with a different club but his days as a Sixer are over.

Reply #117956 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea it seemed that way to me from his abc.net.au interview wit Peter Walsh aswell. What other NBL teams would look at Farley do we think?? If Ebe Ere or Wetheres left there clubs he may be a good fit there or even maybe the Slingers for Helms or Cairns could do with another scoere to help Cat, or somthing but i couldnt see him going to like a Perth or the Kings or something though. I would love to see him in the NBL as he has been a fav of mine since he got here!

Reply #117958 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I didn't mean Farley will return. Its a thing of the past where he played with Adelaide, left for West Sydney and then came back. Same for Catallini, he played for Adelaide, left to go overseas and then came back to Adelaide. I'm just pointing out that great Adelaide players don't all go away never to be seen again. Might have been the way I worded it because my reference to Holmes & Rychart was a different matter stating that those 2 would return.

Reply #117977 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:49 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754