Anon
Years ago

HOT WEATHER POLICY AGAIN!!!!!

I am a Team Manager and a mother - I have just had a call from a concerned parent re 40 degrees temperatures tomorrow - again, apt that it be for the other 40 degrees day when it was postponed from December - when is Basketball Adelaide going to bring in clear guidleines re this HOT AUSSIE WEATHER - anything over 38 degrees should be postponed/cancelled OR perhaps they should start air conditioning the B/Ball venues or GOD FORBID - BUILD SOME NEW ONES WITH AIRCONDITIONING - hear they are making some profits - put it back into the venues please.

Topic #10265 | Report this topic

torn acl  
Years ago

exactly - how can they be cancelled due to heat and then rescheduled on exactly the same sort of day -

however - i have been around for years and if the coach / manager and officals keep an eye on things - make sure the kids hydrate well - we have never had any dramas.

well - the venue threads have been regular over the years - some stadiums do not even have fans (ie pasadena) to circulate the air to evaporate the perspiration to help body cooling - let alone evaporative air con

good luck

Reply #117769 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dear torn acl

I hope you have had some medical intervention for your problem - torn cruciate ligament? Did i get that right? I hope that Pasadena put in some fans at least - circulating air is better than nothing anytime

Reply #117771 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Sturt have been wanting fans at Pasadena for a while now to spend at the bar!!!

Reply #117774 | Report this post

torn acl  
Years ago

yogee - very sharp - did you sleep in the knife draw ?

Reply #117776 | Report this post

Anon-e-mouse  
Years ago

LOL, LOL,

Reply #117783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yogee

We have fans in the bar just not out on court side cheering.

Remember football and cricket are on in the bar

Reply #117821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see BSA is on the ball again. Paul Arnott had 6 weeks since the last Hot weather day to change the policy, or at least make a decision in the best interest in basketball and call off the games.
But instead he takes time of to go and coach in Pt Maquarie. I would suggest that the fees we pay to play should go to pay somebody who is going to do what is right for the sport rather than to somebody who is only going to serve their own interests.

Reply #117851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have no idea at all.
And to slag someone with the amount of venom anonymously shows a certain amount of yellow streak.
This employee of basketball SA is allowed 4 weeks holidays a year which is his right.
What he does on these holidays is of no concerns to the general public.
If he is doing things which relate to his employment which you feel is wrong or self serving then take documented proof to the CEO for him do address.
By placing slurs upon Mr Arnotts integrity with nothing more than an mis informed opinion borders on slanderous actions when place upon a public website and I for one hope he follows this up with some legal advice.
As for the hot weather policy write one and summit it for approval as you may have the answer they dont.
Be sure to add your name.

Reply #117855 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I think Pasadena want floors more than fan!

Reply #117857 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

#851 you have no idea Paul doesn't make these polices that would either be the junior committee of the presidents I would think. So stop begging a person that has done a good job (in my opinion)and get onto your president if you want things to change.

Reply #117858 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

The ultimate responsibility lays with the parents. Lets stop trying to point the finger at everyone else. If you deem the situation dangerous to your childs health, do not let them play.

A lot has been said about heat stroke, muscle melt down, dehydration ect, ect; however after 8 years of watching junior games I have not witnessed any of the above.

Reply #117861 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

All trades hot weather policy is that if its over 35 degrees they must be in the shade, once it hits 37 degrees they go the heck home or to a job with Airconditioning, if they go home they're paid. Surely if its deemed dangerous for tradesmen to be working in this heat then its dangerous for kids to be playing most forms of sport.

Reply #117873 | Report this post

Too Hot  
Years ago

Since BSA took over the Presidents and the clubs have no say in the competition nor it's bylaws. It is now the reponsibility of BSA to organise competitions. And as they take the money generated from these competitions they are responisble for the reprocusions.

Reply #117879 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reply #117880 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Time for parents and kids to take some responsibility instead of wanting to blame everyone else.

If you think it's too hot, dont let your kids play..or if your a player, withdraw from the game....create your own personal hot weather policy!

Reply #117884 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Doesnt Pasadena have fans up on the wall on the bar side of the stadium??

Reply #117887 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

our club (not BB) made a stance last year in 42 heat refusing to play the match, the association acknowledged that it was the right decision and the game was called off, but the opposition filed a complaint and were awarded the forfiet, due to this particular association not having a hot weather policy for junior sides
btw this was cricket

Reply #117895 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

it's simple add games each end of the main season and get rid of the summer season all together

Reply #117897 | Report this post

back seat lover  
Years ago

Or improve the quality of district stadiums that our juniors play in. I heard Cunninghams sell cheap air conditioners! Stinking hot in Summer, freezing cold in winter, year after year. Our quality of stadiums is really a laughing stock.
Rec centres out north east,Golden Grove, Turramurra, Ingle Farm and Mawson Lakes all have air conditioning, but not the BSA run Hillcrest Sports Stadium.
Yet you pay a small fortune just to walk into a BSA stadium to play or watch junior games.

Reply #117899 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Now that BSA are not propping up finacially the 2 elite teams and the Dome - it would equitable for BSA to put money back into the stadiums - I know they are doing some painting - but what is needed is fans/air conditioning and the sooner the better - this week would be great

Reply #117903 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Skudpud, have you considered the difference between tradespeople working 8 hours in the heat compared to playing a 40 minute game (assuming there are only 5 players and they play the full time)? Also Anon #117855, love your final comment about adding your name to suggestions submitted. Don't you practice what you preach?

Reply #117908 | Report this post

say what ?  
Years ago

vc fan - pasadena have exhaust fans - nothing to circulate the air

to cool a perspiring body - air needs to move over the sweat to evaporate and cause cooling

all the need is 6 or so fans like most other stadiums

Reply #117963 | Report this post

Mushroom  
Years ago

Whose responsiblity is it to install fans at stadiums - the Clubs or BSA? anyone "In the know?"

Reply #118068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With BASA now not existing the leases of all stadiums have gone to BSA.

The clubs now are not even members of BSA. And they have absolutely no rights to the stadiums other than renting them from BSA.

Competitions, bylaws, stadium upkeep and any development is now opperated by BSA and they are not answerable to clubs.

Reply #118085 | Report this post

Choc  
Years ago

What about BSA newest stadium at Wayville. We pay $9 a game to play on a 40 degree day with pedastal fans the only means to cool us down. Other non BSA stadium cost around $30 for a team, not bad if you have 7 players and they have reverse cycle aircon. Go figure?

Reply #118094 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:51 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754