Jonno
Years ago

Free Agents List

There is a Free agents list on nbl.com.au now and there are some SA/ex 36ers boys on there such as Bradtke, Mee, Rogers, Zorich, Newley, Rillie, Derek Moore, Vasiljevic and some others on there id like the 36ers to chase are : Wells, Saville, Ballinger, Groves, Harvey, Rush, Egan, Crosswhite, Barlow, Ellis, Franklin, Melmeth, Ryan, Wethers, Pepper, Tucker, Hoare, Abney, Ere. So yea there are plenty of quality names out there which i hope the 36ers go after if i could pick 4 of them to join Maher in the starting 5 i would take Mee, Newley, Wells, and either Rogers, Pepper, Melmeth or Schenscher,(Schenscher and Rogers being my first preferences) and i would make the bulk of the bench out of guys from this years team such as Hill, Ng, Sutton, Majstro or Timmons and Cooper.
Giving a team of
Mee/Sutton
Maher/Hill/Ng
Newley/Majstro or Timmons/Hill
Wells/Majstro or Timmons/Cooper
Schenscher or Rogers/Cooper
And that has quite abit of SA talent and should make us a contender, and if a guy like Ryan Kirsten was able to be signed replace either Sutton or Ng for him.

Topic #10275 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont want to here rogers name in the same sentence as teh 36ers any more

Reply #117964 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rogers has been excellent in Perth and you'd think they'd lock up their captain for a couple of years. No risk of pain for those Adelaide fans who don't rate him based on his time here.

Reply #117965 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Rogers goes through an injury cycle. He has been on a healthy part of the cycle this season and performed well. Knowing our luck, he will come to us and mark the beginning of the injury cycle again. A bit like Wheeler. Knowing Rogers' injury history, and the season we have just been through, I would not risk it. There are some great imports there...Franklin, Whethers, Ere, Tucker. I would take any of these over what we already have. Harvey would be a good pick up also.

Reply #117967 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You'd avoid Rogers because of injury concerns, but you'd take Harvey? Didn't he miss most of last season and various games this season?

Reply #117968 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

and according to NBL.com he is still injured......

Reply #117971 | Report this post

Billy  
Years ago

Harvey takes too many shots for my liking. We desparately need a quality big such as Melmeth Pepper or Schenscher

Reply #117976 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

Im not too concerned who they get on the list for next year as there is certain to be improvement; however Im with #117964; dont even mention Rodgers coming back. The very thought makes me start booing. I tar Bradtke with the same brush.

Reply #117980 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

I notice people including Luke Schenscher in their lists. Not too sure whether the NBL include him as a free agent. Luke is currently playing for the Fort Worth Flyers in the D League in the States and trying to get into The Show. Fort Worth are connected with Chicago, Dallas and Philadelphea (which would be one of the teams Luke would be hoping would call him up). He is averaging 23 min per game, 10ppg and 7 rpg. Would he be interested in the NBL if he has a chance at the NBA or gets picked up by a Euroleague team?

Reply #117989 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He would be interested in the NBL one day, but right now his priorities are an NBA gig or Europe.

Reply #117997 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

we should be able to get Pero Vasiljevic if we want (and yes we do). theres no way hes stayin in singapore playing 3minutes a game. does anyone know what he is on the points rating thingy?

Reply #118001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think he can be called up to the NBA now until next season and he hasn't been called up at all this season so i doubt hes nba standard anymore.

Reply #118003 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, Pero would be a good pick up if we cant get a real top centre such as Schenscher, a Cooper/Pero centre rotation would be good i think

Reply #118005 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

xz, Smyth won't take Vasiljevic on. Has been said many times.

Anon, well, he's going to go around another year and give it a shot and, should that not work out, ply his trade in Europe.

Reply #118007 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Harvey is hurt half of the time and shoots 1/9 a quarter of the time, helping to explain West Sydney's record. He's simply not worth the gamble.

Reply #118010 | Report this post

Hi Jonno

You can have Pero , I am sure he will be jumping for joy if the 36ers made him an offer.

Frankly I hope they do not because I would like to see the 36ers be in the top 4 next year.

You got to wonder what he can bring if he has not been able to make it to the starting 5 at the Slingers. Have a look at the time he has played this year , maybe you are looking for someone to warm the bench ?

Reply #118021 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

well PEro wouldnt be my first preference, but say if we missed out on all the others i named earlier and Pero was alvailable, remembering what he was like last season, who else in the league would you sign??? I guess with the team i named before Wells was the only import so maybe you would sign Horvath (or another import) as starting centre, and yea he would be a siginficant upgrade on a Pero.
If Schenscher isnt coming back, and yea Rogers is pretty entrenched in PErth i reckon a 5 of Mee, Maher, Newley, Wells, Horvath would be good, and i think its some what achievable under the salary cap and points system, and somewhat realistic, if Mee and Newley are interested in coming back to Adelaide. Wells seems interested in coming to the NBL, with his name being on the FA list, the 36ers probably could have had him a few years back over Garrison and i think they even talked to him when it looked like Farley was going to leave prior to signing the 2 year contract a couple of years back so could be a genuine possibility and i think he would be a good fit to the 36ers.

Reply #118026 | Report this post

Agree Jonno , there are not many good Centres on the list.

Frankly how many good Centres are playing in the NBL ? Seems many teams are using kind of PG/Centres in the no 5 position. Personally I have for years said that someone like Ben Melmeth could be a good fit for the Adelaide style of play.

Reply #118029 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jonno, your proposed starting five would take up almost the entire team salary cap. The rest of the players would have to be rookies or on minimum even if the starters accepted less than their market value.

Reply #118030 | Report this post

Sorry this should of course be PF /Centre . A PG /Centre would be a lot of fun to see but most likely difficult to find !

Reply #118032 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I have done a quick list of who I think next years team should comprise of (with their cap points for reference with some being guessed new values).

1. Darnell Mee (10)
2. Brett Maher (5)
3. Liam Rush (7)
4. Import Rosell Ellis/Carlos Powell or Similar (10)
5. Ben Melmeth (9)

Brad Hill (4)
Matt Sutton (3)
David Cooper (6)
Kane Oakley (5)
Bradley Sheridan (7)

Total = 67 out of 68

If they cant get Melmeth get an import center.

I thought orginally it would be sad but good if Maher was to leave but due to the fact that he is only rated a 5 instead of 10 makes him a crucial player if we want some depth in the team.

If Mee doesn't come back then id probably change my team to include an import point guard (Someone of the mold of EJ Rowland but with a good 3 point shot would be perfect)

I really think Liam Rush could be a Sam Mackinnon type of player with better offense but probably not as good defensively. The way he is going he will be in the Australian team very shortly and as a result would be a very good under-rated pick up!

Reply #118036 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i know the team i said earlier could bust the salary cap, but the bench isnt exactly overly stacked, and Brisbane and Melbourne have similar teams so with some creative accounting, if that could be done it would be awesome! I also like King Jameses team, wouldnt be too upset if thats what we went with. How ever i reckon if you swapped Melmeth and Sheridan you may be able to fit Newley with a Roolie and use Rush in the power forward spot ala Catalini these days and keep say Horvath in the Centre, and maybe if you even swapped Rush and Oakley, would that be enough for a Import,even if its a cheaper import, maybe even a ABA one ala Redhage pre NBL days (my preference though would be Wells or Dave Thomas but i doubt those guys will come cheap) with another Rookie. As id personally rather see a well balanced 8 man rotation with 2 young rookies (or minimum guys) than a 10 deep team, as that seems to be the formula that has worked for us in the past (98 had Bauer, Williams and Brogan, 2001/02 had a young Holmes, Forman and Illman), so yea with those changes the team would be
PG Mee/Sutton
SG Maher/Hill
SF Newley/Rookie or minimum player/Hill
PF Import (Wells) or Rush/Rookie or minimum/Cooper
C Horvath or different Import/Cooper
Do people think that kind of line up is achievable under the caps??
I think that team has a good content of SA players and some veterans and some young guys aswell, espcecially if we do have 2 local rookies on the end of the bench.

Reply #118050 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Daniel Egan would be a good fit at SF. Which is one of the positions Adelaide has been lacking in.

Reply #118059 | Report this post

shuttlesworth  
Years ago

One name that hasn't been mentioned yet that I would like to see starting at the SF spot is Glen Saville. I would (realisticly) like to see a team like
PG Mee / Sutton
SG Maher / Hill
SF Saville / Majstrovic
PF Import / Cooper
C Melmeth / Wheeler
This team should be under the salary cap, has height, defence and outside shooting and is a team I think the 6ers could get.

Reply #118064 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Shuttlesworth - still got another import spot to burn. Dump Wheeler for big rebounding import. a 15 and 15 type.

Reply #118067 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Shuttlesworth, that also looks like a good team and i also think it would be achievable under the cap. Yea maybe a 2nd import as the Doctor suggested, probably a 3/4 man, but id say it would be a cheaper import from the ABA or something as i doubt we would have the cap space for a high priced one if we sign, Mee, Saville and Melmeth but hey if they can do a Brisbane and get 2 top imports in with a stacked team i wont be complaining

Reply #118077 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For those putting Darnell in their prospective rosters, just be aware that he is an expensive player - $230-250k or more.

Reply #118089 | Report this post

Choc  
Years ago

I thought $200k is the NBL max. to pay one player. Mee will always be a good defender but he's only an average shooter rarely scoring 20pts in a game. Theres too many other quality Australians on the list who you could get for half Mees price. Ryan, Hoare, Reed, Rush and a few 7footers. Lets hope the Sixers try a little harder recruiting for next season.

Reply #118093 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

$175k is the maximum for one franchise player per team. $200k was considered, but I think it was kept at $175k? (Might be wrong on that.)

Either way, players are getting more than the max and teams are spending more than the cap.

Reply #118095 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind the Sixers chasing someone like Peter Crawford from Perth...Hustling do a bit of everything player...Like what Phil thinks Nash does, but Crawford can actually shoot, dribble and pass.

Reply #118098 | Report this post

I think the 36ers needs to look to the future and while Darnell is great maybe it is time to break completely with the past.

I vote for investing some more money in some younger talents and also for only having one import/former US player.

Reply #118100 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

200k is the maximum i believe isacc for 07/08 cant recall the source of that info though

Reply #118106 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crawford is having a solid second-half to the season but has always struck me as a bit moody and inconsistent? Would need to put up decent numbers to be worth the outlay?

That, and you'd think that Perth will want to retain as much of this team as possible based on how they've performed.

DrB - someone told me that $200k was considered, but the board/PA/whoever decided to keep the marquee player limited at $175k and put the $25k lift into the minimum for rookies?

Reply #118107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would like to see the 36ers recruit Pero.. Also there isnt a chance to get Schenscher this yr but we could chase Wade Helliwell he would fit in well with the 36ers program...

Reply #118200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher is a long shot.. but should be our first target as a starting centre

If not, we should target Derek Moore.. I'd take him over Wheeler, Pero, and Helliwell

Reply #118211 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

About a year ago (or 2) it was $150K for an Aussie player (max) with a further $25K (on top of the 150k) max for an import. The exception was if they were signed to a contract prior to salary cap coming in.

Reply #118248 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

$175k for one designated franchise player, $150k max for anyone else in the team.

Reply #118250 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

heres a roster i think which wuold be able to be put together in worse case scenario, like if we couldnt recruit any top level aussie players. What do people think??
PG Maher (hope he stays)/Sutton
SG Hill/Copeland/Ng
SF Wells (or similar import)/Majstro
PF Ballinger (or sim import)/Oakley
C Cooper/Dodman or rookie (ballinger and Oakley to spend some time in the centre)
I personally think that would be an improvement on this year, but yea not sure how good it would be, i hope we can recruit a decent Aussie or 2, but yea i think that is basically a worse case scenario roster (providing Maher re-signs) for next season, so i think, which to me means we should be able to put a decent team on the floor! hope we can get a couple of the Aussies Boty mentioned like Saville, Newley, Mee or Rush, if we could get 2 of them and 2 good imports we are in for a good future i think!!

Reply #118790 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:03 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754