Anonymous
Years ago

Will Newley play under Smyth

will newley play under symth

(Mod: Fixed title.)

Topic #10290 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No!!! Why do you think Townsville got him so easily??

Reply #118162 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Only if Smyth coaches an NBA side dude.

Reply #118163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

newley will not make nba

Reply #118164 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

bit early to make that call sport

Reply #118165 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Might be a bit early...but think thats on the mark. Would be nice to see it happen for Australia's Basketball image.

Reply #118167 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As for the original topic, some say yes, some say no.

Reply #118169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley playing under Smyth will never happen.. he's not old enough!

Reply #118170 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

That joke is now officially older than the 36ers players roster average age.

(Mod: I'll pay that!)

Reply #118184 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

i think newley will make nba development team in a year or two first before going to the show.
alot of teams will be taking that risk by trying to recruit him for next season, so he will be looking at what ever team will give him the most freedom on the court to show his talent and also have that clause in his contract.

Reply #118198 | Report this post

skink  
Years ago

i agree in next few yrs newly will get to nba,but as isaac said the original topic,we dont have anything to offer newley.what would persuade him to play in adelaide other then family.cos i herd a rumour it was his father that did not want him in a 6er jersey

Reply #118206 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

no, and i also do not think he will make NBA

Reply #118213 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Those who say he won't make NBA - why not? Most mock drafts have him going early second round. Some "experts" have tipped him as a first-rounder. The Atlanta Hawks scout (I know, it IS Atlanta)said he was very impressed with Newley, he was a certain top 60 porspect, and it was a matter of where he would be drafted, not if.

Personally, I think Newley's game has gone in the right direction this year. FG% is up, turnovers are down and he has bulked up.

If you say he isn't going to make NBA, give a few reasons why you think that - I'm interested in the argument against.

Reply #118215 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Second that request Doc. Reasons why Newley wont get drafted?

Reply #118224 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

There simply isnt a market (rightly or wrongly) for skinny white 6'5 Shooting Guards who try and do more than just spot up for 3. A quick look at the Yahoo shooting guard list says Ginobili is the only player who remotely fits this mould - and he just happens to be possibly the most unique player on the planet.

I think he will get drafted - but he wont last long IMO.

Reply #118230 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I don't think he will make it, not yet anyway, because his jumper is not consistent enough, and although he probably has the range, he doesn't have the consistent range.
Also, such a strong part of his game is attacking the rim, and he won't be able to do that nearly as effectively over there. He is not athletic enough to dunk over those guys.
I do think he would make a very good Euro player, but NBA seems a stretch for me. Andrew Gaze couldn't even get minutes at Newley's position, and Shane Heal struggled over there. I just don't think so

Reply #118231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will get drafted, just like CJ did but then will be left to go back and work his game in different leagues in the world.

Reply #118232 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Using Gaze and Heal as examples isn`t really that helpful... When Gaze went over the first time with the then Bullets (Washington) he only signed a few 10 day contracts - because the NBA was rather xenophobic in those days (the late lamented Petrovic and Marcilonus (sp?) being the only notable backcourt players)... and the second time was just a goodbye tour (along with the bonus of a Ring)... And Heal - he was too old... and he suffered from the small SG syndrome - and that requires a team and a coach that will stick with you through thick and thin...

I don`t know about Newls - but using past Australian Guards experiences in the NBA is a pointless exercise cause - (a) Times have changed in the NBA regarding foreingers... and (b) Newley can`t be compared to either Gaze or Heal (not saying he`s better or worse - it`s just a useless exercise...)...

Reply #118233 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

I do not think he has the build, the range, the mental maturity as of yet to play in the NBA.

Reply #118236 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

maybe my definition of "making" it is a bit different than others. I'm talking getting drafted and making a roster. I think he will. His jumper is improving all the time, and he has a rare arrogance and confidence that I think will win him praise amongst NBA scouts.

I think he can be drafted now on potential. Remember he is around the same age as many college players nominating, with three years of experience playing against men in a professional league.

I'm putting it out there - Newley will go early second round to the Jazz. There's always room for another white guy at the Jazz.

As for no room for skinny white guys who like to shoot jumpers - Brent Barry anyone??? Adam Morrison??

Reply #118239 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

What I was saying is that he's not a pure shooter.

Morrison/Barry are.

There are plenty of skinny white pure shooters in the NBA.

Newley's game is more slashing with the occasional jump shot. There already a plethora of local US players who fit that mould - but who would be more athletic and stronger than Newley.

Reply #118240 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Just to put a slightly different slant on things here. I have seen a number of NBA games this year on Fox, and I am telling you that some of those sides are absolute crap and play some of the most boring basketball you will ever see. I think anybody who can actually shoot would be more than welcome over there!

Reply #118256 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Yep NBA Basketball has gone down the crapper in recent years... Expansion doesnt help - but at least it has forced teams to look elsewhere for talent hence the belated realisation that Euros can play as well (if not better) than Americans... As soon as players began having more power than coaches - the die was set... I think it really started going wrong when Chris "Timeout" Webber feuded with Don Nelson (as a rookie no less) and had Nelson removed... That was the begginng of the end folks...

Reply #118271 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Kwest - what do you say in response to the Hawks scout that rates Newley as a top 60 prospect for next year's draft (a strong one) and who also said workouts with individual teams would determine if he is 1st or second round?

There is an article on nbl.com with his exact quotes. He did say after seeing Newley play here "It just confirms what I already knew", meaning last year he was already considered a prospect, and seeing him play this year confirmed this.

He also mentioned his athleticism and how he showed it in the World Champs vs the USA, and also that he had bulked up in accordance with advice given by NBA teams after his workouts last year before the draft.

The experienced NBA scout returns to the US on Monday after completing his duties in Australia and his report to the Hawks is expected to be glowing after an outstanding performance from Newley. This is what he had to say:

"I'm going to be confirming what I have always thought, so that makes me feel good about my assessment," he said.

"I felt this way about him last year when I saw him in the Commonwealth Games, I liked his game. I thought he had to get stronger, he did that."

"He went and worked out with (NBA trainer)Tim Grover, he came to Orlando and he was bigger and stronger ... according to (Crocs coach) Trevor (Gleeson) he has gained 20 pounds since last year, so that's really going to help him at the next level."

Meikle didn't speculate on exactly where Newley might get drafted but said he did rate Newley amongst the top 60 potential draftees in the world.

"Like I said on Friday, it is up to him now," he said.

"His work outs are going to determine that. I can't tell you if he is a first or second-rounder at this point."

"I can just tell you I have got him in the top 60."

Reply #118283 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

KWest - That said... if a drooling reporter comes up to you and asks you what you think of the great white hope of Australian Basketball... What are you going to say - the truth - not always... He might be telling the truth - BUT he might be telling the reporter what he wants to hear...

I take what scouts say with a grain of salt both ways - when they say a player is great and when they say he is ###T (hoping to pick him up as a later draft pick or even a FA)...

Reply #118291 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Sorry Kwest - the above was directed at the Doc...

Reply #118292 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Newley held his own at International level for the Boomers. That's gotta count for something, surely?

Reply #118297 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Johnny, what do you think? Is the scout accurate? What motivation does he have to comment that Newley has genuine NBA talent, but that his position in the draft is no certainty?

I think the scout is saying he believes Newley will go in the draft, but he is not sure if it is second or first round. Why say that if he didn't have that opinion? I know people have agandas, but if he didn't think he was good enough, there are ways of avoiding saying that to a reporter - just say "I'm in the early stages of an extensive scouting trip blah blah blah...."

Johnny - do you think Newley is good enough, or do you think the scout is lying?

Reply #118299 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

I think Newls is worth a look in in the second round - or he might get picked up as a FA... But that doesn`t really matter - maybe the scout was being polite (who knows)... I know if i was in the same situation - i`m not going to be completely honest (on the upside - or the downside) - it`s a chess game... Especially with this draft as it is looking pretty deep (and every guy that gets picked too high means another lower taem might get their roughie)... I think they have a pretty good idea on Brad already... makes me wonder if he was down here looking at other guys (Sammy Mac perhaps or Jason Eversteyn)... or pressing the flesh with David Andersen`s representation to convince him to go stateside at last....

Reply #118305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doc - I vaguely recall them saying the exact same thing last year minus the "potentially 1st round" bit....

Reply #118313 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anon, who is "them"?

Reply #118337 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Johnny, I reallly hope your joking about Everstyn...

Nelwey will most likely get drafted, probably in the 25-40 range (so late first to early second). From there, either he'll sit on the end of the bench or he'll go down to D league for a while, no shame in that.

You have to remember, most guys who get taken outside of the lottery aren't expected to come and contribute straight away.

He'll have a couple of years to develop, then if he can't deliver, then yeah, he'll probably struggle to find a home in the NBA.

But from seeing how much his game has improved over the last year and how much he's bulked up, I wouldn't doubt that could keep getting better, especially seeming he'll be training against NBA players every day.

Reply #118474 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

The NBA is looking for exciting players that know how to shoot, they have been for the last couple of years. It has seen a huge decline in numbers watching NBA games and a large increase in the popularity of college games. This is because of the lack of players that can shoot, drive, pass.

I spoke to a guy a year ago that plays for washington, he was telling me that they had a huge problem with shooting skills rapidly declining in their team( I know they sucked) with the younger talent comming through. Alot of the european players they are bringing over are to help solve this problem

Newley should be drafted, even if he doesnt get a run in the NBA the developement of his inside game and overall toughness would be huge.

And why wouldnt he play under Smyth, maybe he just didnt like the fact the club might not have lasted through this year!!!

Reply #118635 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:28 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754