Anonymous
Years ago

We love America??

I was reading ESPN's page 2 about the superbowl and I almost choked when I read the following! Everyone knows that America thinks they are the only country that matters but I think this has taken it to a new level. Check this out!

"Could anything exceed the Super Bowl for hype, audience, glamour, cost or public fixation? Could anything exceed today's football at the high school, college and pro levels for disproportionate prominence in a world where 10,000 things matter more than touchdowns? I think something can  and I think that something is football. Football is on its way to becoming more important than it already is, though for reasons that might surprise you.

The least significant way in which football could grow still more important is financial. There's plenty of room for expansion. The popularity of American-style football is likely to grow internationally  gridiron is taking off in Mexico at the moment, for instance. Not only is football fun to watch and to play, most of the world continues to admire the United States and look up to us  it's our foreign policy the world disdains; the American dream remains beloved almost everywhere. As democracy expands and more nations liberalize, more nations will long to become like the United States. And since football resides near the core of American culture, more people internationally will want the sport. They will reason, "America is strong and free and prosperous, America loves football, maybe football somehow helps you become strong and free and prosperous." There's a case to be made that football actually does help society  I'll suggest why in a moment. Anyway, this awareness, spreading globally, will increase the impact of the sport."

Rest of the article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/070206

Topic #10302 | Report this topic

lockstock  
Years ago

bahahahahah.

Why we HATE America

Reply #118296 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BRB, throwing up.

Reply #118300 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

'There is nothing outside of the good ole' US of A'.

Reply #118301 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Plus Fat Dudes (of which the USA has a world number one ranking) have a place in the sport... it is a show peice for the vibrant corpulent, steriod-addled, exam-cheating, class-skipping, male youth of the good ole` USA...

Clearly this moron hasn`t heard of the FIFA World Cup or the Tour De France (yes there are doping issues there as well - but even if they are up to their eyeballs in testosterone - what they do is still superhuman...)...

Reply #118310 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

JohnnySack...Just my personal opinion, but I find your comments equally as moronic as the author of the article.

Reply #118312 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Pray tell???

Reply #118314 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

NOt sure what was wrong with Johnny's comments there Jasmine.

I would agree that the NFL would have to be one of the only leagues in the world where a fat dude can be considered an elite athlete.

Reply #118317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JohnnySack...Sorry, I did assume that your stereotypical, nonsensical rant was meant to be slightly in jest. If it wasn't, I apologise and wish you all the best with your prejudice.

Reply #118318 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

lockstock...What I didn't like about it was the following.

1. Americans are fat comment as getting more than a little old.

2. Ridiculous broad statement about male teenagers.

3. Claims that the achievements of non-American doped athletes are somehow superior to that of American doped athletes.

So to sum it up, I thought the whole thing was crap. But hey, just my opinion.

Reply #118320 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Ahh it was about 50/50 if you are interested... But yes i beleive that doping (while it does suck in any sport) is far more palatable in a 3000km+ bike race than a ball game that is played over the space of a few hours... I`m sorry if i offended anyone - but i`m not taking it back... nothing i typed was off the mark... everyone knows what goes on in some (and not a few) college programmes re: student athletes - and it was not supposed to be a generalisation of all American males... Peace.

Reply #118322 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Lockstock - have you ever heard of David Boon? Boof Lehmann? There's a few fat guys floating around in cricket.

I thought the espn article was just plain laughable - but I also think the Americans are fat thing is very much overdone.

While in the States for 2 weeks recently - I would say the amount of obese people I saw, I could count on one hand. Adelaide is much worse in my opinion. That was just one city - but it definitely shattered my 'Most American's are totally fat' line of thinking.

Reply #118325 | Report this post

CAMPBELL  
Years ago

i checked out the superbowl, it doesnt even come close to the afl grand final last season.... thats not being biast either. the game is just to slow to even compare to afl.
if only the yanks played afl too....
it would be so great to kick there ass.

bloody americans.
when will they learn that we dont wanna be like them at all.

Reply #118326 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Lockstock is right, NFL would have to be "one of the only leagues in the world where a fat dude can be considered an elite athlete."

Americans always think they are the best. If we wanted to be like them, we would have to be sh*t at a whole lot of things.

Reply #118327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CAMPBELL ---

Having lived in the USA and in Australia, the AFL Grand Final and the Super Bowl both are very big deals for both of the respective countries.

Since they are VERY different sports, they cannot be compared. I think they are both great sports, and are equally loved by each of the respective countries.

But I will say one thing...that the off-the-field things (TV promotions, quarter and half-time things, etc...) are MUCH bigger and more extravagent for the Super Bowl than for the AFL Grand Final.

Reply #118355 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

USA AUS play on letters but we are becoming to americanised,

Reply #118364 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I dont think we are. That peaked about 10 years ago. The shift now is towards all things Australian.

Australian culture is as strong as its been in a long time right now. The young generation coming through is much more Aussie and anti American that those in the past.

Reply #118367 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

There's a really good reason why Yank and Wank rhyme.

Reply #118394 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

There's a really good reason why Yank and Wank rhyme.

Reply #118396 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

unfortunetly i see to much the american influence on the average youth wandering around the shopping centres

Reply #118413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be worse. The youth in the shopping centre could be displaying a distinctive Iranian cultral influence. Or French.

Reply #118417 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

did someone say a fat person can be an elite sportsman? well sign my fat arse up, i can handle signing a $20 million sponsorship deal to only eat at maccas bring it on.....

Reply #118448 | Report this post

tmagz13  
Years ago

Your stereo typical, right wing supporting american people are brain washed and arrogant due the media they watch. The unfortunate thing is im a 17 year old American born boy and i have to admit it. Americans are not bad people if you got to know them but the s#*t like fox news and other crap news stations they watch make them believe the world loves them when they really dont.

Most American people aren't really that bad they just need their just need a reality check which they cant get unless they left USA itself and experienced other countries and what most other countries think of them. Obviously most of the people on this forum hate America but if you ever travelled their one day it is a great and successful country and you would be likely to be treated with a great deal of respect and generosity. The greed of their government is their main downfall. Hopefully it will all change when they get dikhed george bush out of the whitehouse.

Reply #118464 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

This pretty much sums it up...

Reply #118465 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

Ive spent the last 3 years deciding if I will try to live in America. If you havent been to a country dont try to comment on it cause you just dont know. Theres good and bad things in the states, the exact same as here.
We arent becomming Americanised here, If we were then we wouldnt have dumbass things like the southern expressway. We have created the way kids act now days, you cant blame a country 12000miles(nfi if that right) away for our mistakes

Reply #118468 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

America is like anywhere, you get good people and you get d!ckheads. The guy who wrote the article clearly hasn't been out of the States for a while if he thinks the world still loves everything about America (besides their foriegn policy).

All I can say is America is the only country where I've walked into a camera shop with the intention of buying a camera and walked out 5 minutes later empty handed with the shop owner shouting at me calling me a "f*cking c*cksucker". True story.

Reply #118469 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

pretty well said tmagz13

Reply #118537 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

You gotta have a look at "That 70's Show" and can pretty much say that was Adelaide yesterday.
"Dumbass" is a damn cool word and can be used to decribe Queensland. I should se it on their number plates.

Reply #118551 | Report this post

Captain America  
Years ago

Only in America...can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance...

Only in America...are there handicap parking places in front of a skating rink...

Only in America...do people order double cheese burgers, a large fry and a diet coke...

Only in America...do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters...

Only in America...do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and leave useless things and junk in boxes in the garage...

Only in America...do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place...

Only in America...do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight...

Only in America...are the least useful professions (professional athletes, movie actors & entertainers) paid so disproportionally much compared to people with normal jobs...

Only in America...do people buy domestic brand tires, because they want to "buy American," and install them on their imported cars...

Only in America...the budgets for advertising non-essential items, like soft drinks, exceed the economies of many third-world nations...

Only in America...do we use the word politics to describe the process so well: Poli in Latin meaning many and tics meaning blood sucking creatures...

Reply #118557 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

now say that sounding like sam kekevich from the australia day ads about lamb

Reply #118561 | Report this post

Captain America  
Years ago

I was thinking more along the lines of Alan Jones... but i like it.

Reply #118564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only in America...can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance...
Well, that depends on where you live in relation to the pizza store and the hospital and how busy either the pizza store or the hospital is at the time of the call.

Only in America...are there handicap parking places in front of a skating rink...
Because only American handicapped parents take their kids to the skating rink.

Only in America...do people order double cheese burgers, a large fry and a diet coke...
I do that here, not because I'm concerned with the sugar in coke, but because I like the taste of diet coke but hate the taste of coke.

Only in America...do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters...
Pens are not chained to the counter because of the cost of replacing them. Pens are chained to the counter to make sure that customers don't have to bother staff countless times a day for pens.

Only in America...do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and leave useless things and junk in boxes in the garage...
A lot of people I know park their car in their driveway and use their garage as the spare/junk room. We did for years until we finally moved into a bigger place.

Only in America...do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place...
I screen calls via the answering machine, have call waiting, often don't answer my mobile when there is no caller ID and don't answer the door when I see through the peep hole that it is a salesperson. I must be a freak.

Only in America...do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight...
Can't say I ever noticed that in the USA before, but then you have to buy twice as many buns. Pretty smart.

Only in America...are the least useful professions (professional athletes, movie actors & entertainers) paid so disproportionally much compared to people with normal jobs...
European soccer players earn one bag of beans per game played I understand.

Only in America...do people buy domestic brand tires, because they want to "buy American," and install them on their imported cars...
Can't say I've noticed that either, but you might be on to something there. Wow, how stupid can you get?

Only in America...the budgets for advertising non-essential items, like soft drinks, exceed the economies of many third-world nations...
I'm sure the same is true for many things in the west given that the economies of some third-world nations are so tragically small.

Only in America...do we use the word politics to describe the process so well: Poli in Latin meaning many and tics meaning blood sucking creatures...
Because the politics in Indonesia for example is squeaky clean.

Reply #118629 | Report this post

i hate the way they call themselves 'world champs' last time i checked, you lost the world champs of NBA, you're not the best at baseball. so why are you world champs. please tell me

Reply #118666 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:25 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754