Johnny Sack
Years ago

2007 NBA Draft No 1 Pick - Durant???

I just saw Kevin Durant score 37pts and drag down 23rebs against Texas Tech (in regulation)... Now for the last 2-3 years everyone has been saying that Oden will absolutely be no 1 in '07 (assuming he comes out)... But i have to say Oden will have to be out of this world to get picked ahead of Durant... He's only 19 and has an inside/outside game like Dirk - he's elastic taking contact and contorting his body and scoring (like Stacy Augmon at his peak), he can rebound and runs the floor like gazelle... he just looks so fluid and instictive - be it in the post or shooting from outside - it's scary... this is a 6-9 (7-5 wingspan) guy, who could end up taller... I have a feeling that the team that lands number 1 will have a tough call to make... The commentators were skating around the draft question - but they did agree that he was the best player in college right now - Anyone else seen this guy play... Who thinks he will go ahead of Oden??? (assuming he comes out...)

Topic #10307 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely it will depend on who gets the pick?

Reply #118400 | Report this post

BIzzy  
Years ago

Where did you watch the game Johnny?

Reply #118404 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

wasnt the game on ESPN tuesday?? because i think thats the game that I ended up watching...

Reply #118414 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Funny you mention this guy, I saw the last 12 minutes or so of Texus v Texus A & M last night, he ended up with 28 and 15, although I missed most of his scoring, he apparently went on a burst at the start of the second half. I've seen him play before, he's certainly got some game, this game ended his 30+ point streak of 6 games, he's averaging 33 points in conference play, and the opposition D is pretty much focussed entirely on denying him possession. Once he gets it he can create a good shot for himself whenever he wants. And he's a freshman.

Bill Simmons rates him highly as well, I think he's lock for top 3 if and when he nominates, if not number 1.

Reply #118458 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

This could be one of those draft there actually having the 1st pick could suck arse. Who do you go with?? Oden or Durant.

Do you go with the best centre the draft has seen since Shaq, or do you go with the next KG crossbred with T-MAC???

Give me the number two pick in this one thanks and I take whoever isn't picked with the 1st.

Reply #118473 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

"Do you go with the best centre the draft has seen since Shaq.."

Oh come on!! Havent you heard of Pape Sow??

Reply #118475 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Nice article on the Durant V Oden debate.. Talks about their possible ceilings and basements

Here is the link:

http://www.nbadraft.net/prevenas077.asp

Small snippet and interesting stat.

"Possible Durant Ceilings: Dirk Nowitzki, Tracy McGrady, Kevin Garnett, George Gervin. Total NBA championships: zero.

Possible Oden Ceilings: David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Bill Russell. Total NBA championships: seventeen"

Reply #118477 | Report this post

Rodney Carney  
Years ago

So far Durant has lived up to his hype and then some. That mans a phenom in the making. Against Florida, Oden had something to prove agaisnt the Gators virtual NBA stars but didn't come up big. Come draft time i'd go with a healthy Durant over Oden knowing that pound for pound i wouldn't be loosing a thing.

Reply #118478 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Bizzy - I'm in Japan... I saw it on local ESPN...

Just to stop you scratching your head...

Reply #118479 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I think we should all wait until Oden is fully healthy again. To be fair the guy has played predominantly with one hand since his return.
Also note that he is a defensive presence more so than a scorer at this point. ALL NBA teams need big men that can patrol the paint.

Durant is an exciting prospect though. Lets just hope the hype doesnt spoil him before he declares.

Reply #118489 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

All depends on who's got the pick. I think if you have a big whole in the middle then Oden's your man, but anything short of that then I don't think you can pass on Durant. A 6'9 t-mac wit a 7-5 wingspan avg 25 and 11 as a freshman who's potential amazingly surpasses his numbers.

Reply #118584 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It's too tough. Who wants to be the franchise that passed on Oden ???? Same can be said about Durant.

As I said, give me the second pick and I'm going off like a frog in a sock. Give me the first and I'm laying bricks. Both picks can't really lose.

Reply #118628 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:11 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754