Sixer Girl
Years ago

Foul count

Hey, does anyone else know what to make of the foul counts against the 36ers this season? For a team that is criticized for not being aggressive enough and having no passion, I swear they have the high end of the foul count every game. Last night against South, the Dragons took 56 free throws to our 28 in a 2 point win. What's up with that?

Topic #10312 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They play horrible defense - that's what's up with that.

Reply #118508 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A poorer defensive team may commit more fouls by being out of position. A slower team may commit more fouls for the same reason. One team may play more of a pentetrating style and draw fouls, while another team might settle for jumpshots.

Reply #118510 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

Isaac is correct.
It fustrates me no end to hear people complaine about officiating and talking about how many free throws when they do not take notice of what defence and offence is being played.

If a team plays a zone defence there there are usualy less chance for shooting fouls with more outside shots put up.

The adelaide team are the worst team in many years for foul discipline from the games I have watched.

imo Boti Nagy looses creditibility when he makes excuses for losses by blaming the umpires.

Reply #118542 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Lets go with one (any one) player not being fully accountable to his defensive man or area. Then a team mate has to compromise his position to cover thus best position is never really obtained.
Pressure still has to be applied to the ball carrier /shooter leading to fouls because officials "ref" the defence. That is their primary objective is to determine whether or not the defence has established a legal position.

Reply #118555 | Report this post

Sixer Girl  
Years ago

Obviously the 6ers have played rotten defense all season - I think we know that. It's just tough when you can finally win a game and you get kicked when you're down!

Reply #118577 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I'm still wondering why Maher doesn't get protected on the other end. Stellar career, one of the best players in the league (for many years), yet still gets treated like a rookie when he drives - yet Gaze was getting whistles every two minutes when he was still chugging around.

Reply #118625 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

The referee's I have seen this year at all of our home games have been some of the worst umpires I have witnessed in any sport, in several countries.
They call fouls when they are behind a play, by simple assuming that there MUST have been contact. They seem to have a huge amount of trouble counting to 3 when a player is standing in the key for 25 of the 30 seconds they have.

Consistancy has been their biggest problem, calling a foul at one end of the court then letting it go at the other end. They try to play the advantage, basketballs not a bloody advantage game, if someone fouls then it should be called this year has been bullshit and they should all be sacked.

Im not blaming our season on this so dont try to come out with that rubbish, Im just fed up with watching these idiots running around thinking they know wtf they are doing, and then having every coach fined for mentioning that they SUCKED.

Reply #118631 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Skudpud read the rules and you will see Advantage/disadvantage is expected of the officials. Perhaps that is why the officiate and you spectate

Reply #118642 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

skudpud, you took the words right out of my mouth but I'm glad you said it instead of me because I have had my share of flack over my criticism of the refs. Its exactly what you say, they call a foul at one end and fail to call exactly the same thing at the other end. I don't know why they can't count to 3, you don't even need to go to school to learn that. Both my kids could do it as babies. I don't know why they are such a protected species when they are only human and humans naturally make mistakes. I put up with mistakes being pointed out to me, why not do the same to them. Why does a coach have to put up with being disadvantaged, especially when the outcome of the game is a meagre 2 points and could have gone either way. Why wasn't a foul called on Holmes last night when Brett had possession in the last 20 seconds? The 1 discrepancy alone could more than likely have cost us the game.

Reply #118658 | Report this post

Yay  
Years ago

A missed foul call and you bitch and say that it's the ref's fault your team lost. Unless your team is shotting 100% then you have to take some of the blame for the loss. Everytime you jack up a shot good/bad that misses you could have lost the 2 points that could have won you the game. Coaches have to tell kids that you have to play to the whistle. so what's wrong with top level players doing the same.

Reply #118704 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:07 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754