Double Clutch
Years ago

Funny Ultimate 36ers recruitment thread

There has been a lot of talk about which players to keep, and who to let go on the current 36ers roster recently, with most agreeing that the team needs to be totally re-built. It then surprises me that people then goes on to suggest we keep 6 or 7 of the current roster and then chase guys like Luke S, who is such a long shot to play here its quite hopeless. Not only that, but people are totally ignoring potential $$ that players are asking, and the points cap when putting forward these hypothetical line-ups.

In the mean-time I hear rumours about a guy like Kane Oakley, who is shooting 33% on the season being an off-season recruitment target. Already I am getting very nervous about how potentially poor next season's roster will be. I can see Smyth, if he stays, try to recruit a Scott McGregor over a Liam Rush

So I'd like to put forward my suggestions, as ignored as they will be, and then as trashed as they will be, forward, if I had the power to be in control of the 36ers off-season destiny.

First up: who to keep

• Brett Maher. Quite clear really. The guy is averaging 19, 7 and 5 at 45%, and is still one of the best Australians in the league, although his hustle and defence has fallen off a fair bit in the second half of the season. Not only that but he is worth only a 5 in the points cap, making him incredibly good value. I would sign him to play his more natural 2 position, and try to take the work-load off him on both ends of the court. Needed to keep fans coming in the door.
  • Brad Hill. Will be hard to sign if Smyth is still here I suspect, but the club should do everything in it's power to keep him. The problem with Brad in the past is he was being played out of position. Move Brad to the 2 as Maher's back-up and gradually increase his minutes over Maher's 2 year contract. Brad could keep his internal rating of 1 I assume if signed quick enough. Otherwise he would be rated a 4.

That's it for signings to keep. The rest I would take my chances on them being picked up on the free agent market, and if they are still on the shelf when the club has signed some big signings I would look at them then. I would talk to Horvath but I wouldn't chase him with big dollars for a few reasons. The guy has the talent to get 25 and 12, but plays dumb. He loses his head in big moments (example the Townsville game) fouls way too much and is often soft. Not only that but he is only dangerous on one part of the floor and only going right, and desperately needs to get a good mid-range game going if he wants to play the 4 spot. I'd try to sign him but if he gets too expensive I'd leave him on the shelf.

With crowds getting bored of the same old players this year the first thing I would do is try to inject some youth and fresh energised players into the team for next year. To do this I would look at college recruits.

Potential college targets
  • Ryan Kersten. A no-brainer. Sign the guy right now as a back-up for two years if possible and have him groomed for a starting PG spot at the end of his 2 years.
  • Matthew Knight. The guy is a big 6-8 body who could play the 5 spot in the NBL.
  • Stephen Weigh, a 2/3 NBL player who was a stand-out in Under 20s and was an AIS grad. Currently playing for Bogut's former team Utah. Could potentially start and help us in our weakest position, small forward. Weigh is only a freshman now however.
  • Ben Allen, a 6-11 centre currently playing for Indiana.

There is plenty of college prospects I would be keeping in touch with, even if we don't get them this off-season they may come eventually. All college players would be rated a 3 if my memory serves me correctly. Certainly throw the net wide and try to catch 1 or 2.

Now to look for Australians from over-seas. There wouldn't be many in Adelaide's reach. It's amusing to see posts where people say we should go sign Luke S or Matthew Nielson like someone can snap their fingers and make it happen. While it would be good there has to be some kind of plan B. I don't see much out there for Adelaide, one that I would have in mind if we could get him for the right price is Steven Markovic. After what happened in West Sydney he may be a little cheaper than expected due to clubs steering clear of him. I would at least call him to see if he is sick of sitting on a European bench in Serbia. Steven would be rated a 10, same as an import PG, if bought back to Australia.

Now for free agents around the league. If Adelaide can get a couple of good imports they don't have to fork out huge money for stars here, rather I'd go for good young players with plenty of room to improve, unlike Smyth who targets old injury prone players who are sliding.

Free agent targets
  • Right now I would be picking up the phone trying to pick at the bleeding to death West Sydney Razorbacks. I would look firstly to pick up Liam Rush to shore up our weakest position of small forward. Unfortunately Mark Nash is already signed as the back-up at this position but Rush is a great prospect, averaging 15, 6 and 2 at 48% from the field and 47% from beyond the arc. He's only 25 with plenty of room to improve. Additionally he can is a athlete who can get people excited about coming to the ball again. We should be in with a shot with both playing time and increased $$ to offer him. Rush is currently rated a 5 but my guess is he will go up to an 8 or so after this year.
  • Julian Khazzouh. Don't laugh, Khazzouh has a lot of promise, averaging 9, 5 and 1 at 50% while still only 21 years old. Could be a good back-up option and if both are signed you could run Horvath at the 4 and Khazzouh at the 5 at certain parts of the game. I'm not sure what his rating is but it wouldn't be huge.
  • Glen Saville. He's on the free agent list. Give him a call and see what he wants. He would transfer his internal rating of 5 to the club.
  • Damien Ryan. Ok he's not really a 1, but if other targets fall thru a Ryan-Maher back-court would be ok. Rated a 10.
  • David Barlow, to play the 3. Up for a new rating if he signs elsewhere.
  • Daniel Egan, would be a much better back-up Power Forward than Oakley. Only a 5 point player right now as well.
  • Brad Newley of course, if I was him if I didn't make the NBA I'd go to Europe, but I'd still chase him if I was Mal. Would be a 10.

Now for the imports. This really depends on what Australians you can sign but I would be looking for a point guard to play alongside Maher. David Bailey comes to mind, a fan favourite that I would chase despite his off the court problems. If I managed to sign an Aus point guard I would go after a 4 man, or if I got an Aus centre I would look for a 4 man as well.

As for the coach, obviously Smyth should go for reasons I have said before, but if the club can't afford to pay out his contract he will stay. Better to have a good team with a poor coach that a good coach with a poor team. Smyth would have a very short leash however and wouldn't have final word in recruiting.

Then once you see who you have signed from the above you re-sign the players you have from this season. I'd re-sign Darren if Hill doesn't sign, Sutton if we can't get a back-up point and Cooper if need be. Timmons, Wheeler and Majstrovich wouldn't be back under any circumstances if I was in charge. Copeland could potentially sign on as a 10th man on minimum but if would be a long shot.

Anyway, I'm going to play poker now and chase my dream of winning enough money to buy an NBL team. Thanks to Hoop Addict helping me with this.

P.S. Yes I know the title is terrible but what else was I going to call this thread?

Topic #10346 | Report this topic

Jonno  
Years ago

Good thread, i agree with most of what you said, and i hope the club goes down these lines, would you go after say Darnell Mee to put along side Maher??? I personally would, as he can still play and plays good defence and that would give us more flexibility with our import which i think could be handy if we missed out on a Saville, Barlow Rush or Newley to start SF. I liked the Khazzah sugestion and think him and Cooper could share the Centre spot pretty well. Would you consider bringing the Maher - Farley back court back again??

Reply #118881 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Well Farley is gone, simple as that, and no I personally wouldn't bring that partnership back because that means Maher will be forced to play the 1 position again and that will run him into the ground. Also we need to improve our outside D badly, as well as our rotation, and we can't do that with Farley playing 30+ minutes a game.

Mee I love, but the guy is getting too old. He will probably cost around the $200,000 mark I'm guessing, is worth 10 on the points cap and wouldn't be as big a box office draw as an exciting new import. Plus he would most likely be hard to sign with Smyth around anyway. His upside is if you have enough money he is an Australian now and you can get two other imports. I would only chase him if other options seem unlikely.

Reply #118882 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Interesting thoughts DC - I agree with your comments re a lot of people on here saying they want to rebuild but bringing back 7 of this years team....more change is needed IMO.
From your list I would have Coops back for sure - plays solid backup minutes and seems to being the intangables to the team in way of chemistry and locker room harmony - from what I saw this year the #1 thing missing was chemistry between players (and coaches) that we have become accustomed to. A team that on paper only appears 'good' rather than 'great' can achieve huge things if the chemistry is there - we need to ensure that any recruits to the team bring more than just on court skills.
Barlow would be a great pickup - although I believe he will be chased hard by the new GC team (as will Saville) but Adelaide would be stupid not to make some aggressive moves for the both of them.
Markovis as well - was a star in themaking before his departure from WS - maybe a low key move back to a team like the Sixers would be attractive to him - again contact must be made.

As for your Poker - you playing online or have SA finally been allowed to have pub leagues like we do up here in Qld?

Reply #118891 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Great thread.
Personally, I can seldom be bothered putting together such a cogent argument on such a subject because it is much more complex than many people understand.
It is THIS kind of thinking that the sixers need in order to win back their fans and basketball aficionados alike. This type of thinking will build a program.

Reply #118903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Suttons definatley a keeper if for nothing else than his D . It would be nice to see some stoppers at the 2,3,4 for a change.

Reply #118905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our problem this season is mainly of Defence which is why Mee would be a GREAT pick up for us and someone like Oakley would be picked up for his defensive presence and ability not his shooting % this year.

Reply #118908 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

all i know is this is going to be one of the most anticipated offseason in years, new owner finally pulling the riens and writing the cheques

Reply #118910 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

Well thought out Double clutch & Hoop Addict...all good suggestions!

if only mal will listen!

Reply #118918 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

I'm fine with that, but you go after your stars first and build around that.

Remember last off-season when we were waiting for a big signing after the role players already were, and we got.....Copeland and Wheeler.

Plus I would take an Australian who could stay with Adelaide for a few years at the same or less money as Darnell and be rated a 10, rather than Darnell who will play 1 or 2 more years and retire.

Realistically we probably can't challenge next year, so we need to rebuild for a 3 year plan.

Reply #118920 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

DC hats off this is one of the more constructive recruiting post in a fair while on here

Reply #118922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great thread but some of the suggestions will never work..

those players u suggested aren't old enough.. the Sixers will never look at them!

they'd probably look to sign players with an injury history and pay them 100k like they did with Wheeler (eg. Rogers)

and they'd probably re-sign Copeland and Timmons coz they're the oldest..

Reply #118938 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Can't we at least keep this thread 'Old Joke' free?

Reply #118946 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

was thinking the same skip,

Reply #118949 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

I really don't see how this thread is any different to the hundreds of others regarding the 36ers roster. All DC has done is voiced his opinion (as others have done before him), done a tiny bit of research (or just posted what HA has told him over MSN) and added some features like Bold type and bullet points.

If anyone really thinks that Mal or the 36ers admin are taking notice of what a Div 4 junior coach is saying about the 36ers line up and then thinking 'Gee never thought of that we should just do what that DC said' then you clearly don't understand what leadership is about.

DC has some good ideas, as have others before him but at the end of the day the man who writes the cheques will make the decisions and I for one am glad it's Mal and not DC or EC or Yogee or anyone else on here.

Yes I realise I'm going to cop a pasting but seriously!!

Reply #118960 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

i guess what i liked about this is the fact it was constructive whilst being critical and not vindictive against players who should not have been signed, i guess he put a bit of class in his post

Reply #118961 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Another college player to try for would be Nic Campbell. I'd look at getting one or two returning college players - they help the team stay under the points cap, they are usually further advanced than the rookies we currently have, and they are what fans want to see for the club's future.

The risk at letting some of these other options (Cooper, Majstrovich, Copeland) go to the marketplace is that even if West Sydney are out next year, Gold Coast have ten spots to fill.

A question posed to me the other day was - would I rather change coach or half the roster - for me, definitely half the roster.

Reply #118970 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

To win in the NBL you need to build around at least two superstar aussies, with two good imports and useful role players. Well, this was the case at least until Brisbane upped the anti with an all-star squad.

However, I noticed not so long ago that whilst a lot of the Sixers squad have, or had, talent, Maher is the only (aussie) star. Add to that two imports that do not have all-round games, and you get a bottom two side.

Previous Sixers championship teams had Cat, Davis (as an aussie), Pearce/McKay etc. This year, other than Maher, diddily squat.

Get another superstar aussie into the mix, hope to get two good imports in that lottery, and fill the rest of the positions with the best talent available. If they are young with potential (i.e. Rush) all the better.

Reply #119002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As for the coach, obviously Smyth should go for reasons I have said before, but if the club can't afford to pay out his contract he will stay

If the owner cannot afford to pay out the coach, he should never have bought (or been able to buy) the team in the first place.

btw, where is yogee and EC bitching about this thread?? It's been done before hasn't it yogee??

Reply #119011 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Boty named his team for next season, being
Schenscher
Chappell
Newley
Maher
Mee

Sutton
Hill
Copeland
Hoare
Cooper

I think if we could put a team together like that it woule be very impressive, but even if we only got one out of say Newley, Schenscher and Mee we still have another import spot and there are plenty of other decent Aussies out there like Barlow, Rush, Boodnikoff and Derek Moore who would also be good pick ups. So heres hoping we can get a team along the lines of what boty has suggested!!

Reply #119040 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Just had another look at the free agents list and 2 names of imports on there not in any nbl club at the moment are Wells and Chappell, imagine that as a potential import pairing
both stars 6'8 can play sg.sf,pf and very versatile, i personally would love to see that combo

Reply #119046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Replace Copeland with Ng in Boti's team and I'd be happy with that

Reply #119180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow's name has come up alot, is he unhappy with sydney or is everybody just dreaming that he would leave that club for any other.

Reply #119182 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

He's on the free agent list. Should everyone ignore him?

Reply #119192 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also, the Kings have a lot of young talent ramping up their financial expectations. If you could drag him away from Goorjian, he might be worth an approach - might be interesting to see how he'd respond to the change in coaching style more than anything.

Reply #119206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok well here is a list of players that i think we should try to recruit or keep for next season:
Luke Schenscher
Wade Helliwell
Sam Harris
Martin Iti
Matt Sutton
Brett Maher
Jordan Dodman
Willie Farley
Brad Newley
Ryan Kersten
Import SF

I listed Willie as over the last couple of years he has been my favourite player, he has been a highlight machine for us over the years!! I know that this year he hasnt been quite there but you cant say that you just give up on someone after an off season.. But i think give him another chance and he wont let us down, it will be hard for Phil and Steve to find an import that can match upto Willie but not impossible, maybe give Burston a call lol well im looking forward to seeing the new team next year!! Go The 6ers!!
Any players that are coming out of college or looking to play some proffessional ball from college.

Reply #119622 | Report this post

beetroot  
Years ago

What is the chances of Brad Hill signing on? I've heard he's not that keen to play under Smyth and is seriously looking elsewhere!!

Reply #125179 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:35 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754