Bizzy
Years ago

Smyth & Brehney to head to US

As reported by Boti in today's 'tiser, Smyth and Breheny will head to the US to take a refresher course in coaching with Brett Brown & Kurt Rambis.

At their own expense they will head to the U.S., reuniting with former North Melbourne coach Brett Brown at San Antonio and Lakers great Kurt Rambis in LA.

Rambis is a personal friend of Smyth's and Breheny was Brown's assistant when the Giants won the 1994 NBL championship.

"When you have a year like we've had and the past couple of seasons, you need to find new stimulus," Smyth said.

"We'll go to the U.S. to get some fresh ideas in the mecca of basketball."

What are people's opinions on the path Smyth and Breheny are taking?

Judging by this article Smyth looks to have been assured he will be coaching next year. Is this a good/bad move?

You can read the full article here

Topic #10359 | Report this topic

Fiji  
Years ago

It would seem that way.

He has also been requested by Mal to provide a 5 year plan.

As he has no idea how to do this himself, I understand he has already sought the advice of an AFL coach and close friend to help him put it together.

After this years performances, I would rather him learn off that same coach how he coaches his players to ensure the players are hard at it and give their all, and how they go about identifying, recruiting and keeping good SA talent.

Reply #118995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a holiday masked as a business trip for tax reasons?

good that they're doing it. hopefully they can find horvath's long-range game when they're over there and start using it?

Reply #118998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil at his PR best

Reply #118999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think smyth should be sacked. The performances have been gradually slipping. However, the reason why I think smyth should be sacked is as a stimulus for change and nothing else. However if Smyth can show some kind of impetus and feeling of change then it would be great for him to stay.

Reply #119001 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Fiji sounds slightly bitter??
How does Fiji know that Phil has no idea how to prepare a five year plan?? Everyone seems to be on the 'Sack Smyth' bandwagon yet no one (maybe Fiji) knows what problems Mal (and staff) encountered when taking over the team at the start of the season when there was a great deal of turmoil involving the Government and BASA. Lets wait and see what happens!!!

Reply #119004 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Well this sounds slightly more proactive. Hopefully when the plane arrives, Smyth gets up out of his Qantas seat, unlike all NBL season, and does something positive over there! Maybe some recruiting wouldnt go astray.

Reply #119012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can they STAY there!!!!?

(Mod: Rude, but surely someone will find it funny.)

Reply #119015 | Report this post

Brian Fantanna  
Years ago

Maybe the flight will help him to get out of his seat once in a while. You got to do your exerecises on those long flights

Reply #119022 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Anon12 - I'm not bitter at all, and suggest you re read my post.

You will not find threads of mine calling for his sacking.

I am not qualified to make that assessment.

I was just making an observation as a season ticket holder for over 10 years, what I and I think most supporters would like to see from our coach (whoever that is)and players is:-

1. A committed team on the floor,
2. Displays of passion and pride in the shirt they wear,and
3. Some confidence that we will not continue to loose our best talent to our competitor clubs.

All of which I think were sadly missing this year, and the last point for several years.

Loosing is not what frustrates "real" supporters, but attitude and effort (or lackthereof) IS!!

Re - the 5 year plan. Well if he knew how to do one, why does he need help to prepare it?

Reply #119030 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I'm sure if he's flying Qantas Phil will get out of his seat at least to go to the toilets, I heard the staff on those flights go all out to make the passengers happy! Welcome to the Mile High Club Mr Smyth.....

Reply #119035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was so hoping this was going to be an exclusive telling us that Steve and Phil had taken up a job in the US. Just as well I am used to disappointment.

Reply #119037 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Sounds like a good move and Phil accepting some of the responsibility for the year the team has had. Good on him and Steve, I'm sure they'll have a bit of a holiday over there too but hopefully he comes back a better coach.

Reply #119052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree lockstock!!

Reply #119057 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Still one of the best 3 coaches in the league, a good idea to refresh and learn..and maybe pick up just the right import.

Although i still want to see Ninnis back as an assistant with a future.

Reply #119070 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Noticed there was a poll on AdelaideNow as to whether Phil should be sacked.

Interestingly, unlike the apparent majority of opinion from posters here, this morning when I checked the poll was about 58% to 42% in favour of keeping Smyth (about 300 votes received).

I note that the poll appears not to be working properly when I checked a few minutes ago.

Reply #119077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neil Craigesque

Reply #119081 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

nothing works well if it's the Sixers or NBL...

Reply #119119 | Report this post

Skudpu  
Years ago

I think this is a real positive mood by Smyth, it shows that he has taken alot on himself for the losses this year, though he may not announce that. Ofcourse who would announce to anyone that they were to blame...kind of a career killer and a dumb move.
Anyway, by both of them puting upthe expense to try and improve themselves shows that Smyth does still want to win, does feel for the team, and despite what people think he feels, this shows he does care about the future of the 36ers

Reply #119163 | Report this post

back seat lover  
Years ago

Maybe Phil and Steve should go watch Ryan Kersten play at New Mexico while over there.

Reply #119167 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Not much point seeking assistance from a certain AFL coach, he didn't exactly have a ripper season last season.

Reply #119171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope smyth and Brehney stay here in australua cos We need them.

Reply #119211 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

You need to learn how to spell the country you live in #119211!

Reply #119216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More like......Damn, my lazy assed attitude has finally caught up with me. Shit, I might have to actually become a coach and research and learn like all the others do. Steveo seems to have lost his touch.Surely he's not trying to shaft me behind my back? Nahhhhh! Bugger...oh well, at least I got away with doing stuff all the last 5 years. Got a bit of heat on at the moment so if I can get a reasonable result next year it should be enough to get re-signed and then I can relax again. Think I'll make sure Boti gets it in that we're paying for this trip ourselves....makes it look like that we're all the more serious. Hey I know, I'll pay for Boti to come too and then I'll have him in my back pocket again for the next 5 years. Worked that time I took him to Europe. He's been getting a bit loose lately. What the hell am I gonna do about Nashy? Great guy and all but geez...my grandmother at least can hit the ring from 4 feet. Can't keep defending him forever. Hmmm, wonder if he wants to become an assistant coach? I know, I'll move Brooksy aside as he knows too much of how I operate and is getting a little critical. Can't have that. We'll make Nashy an assitant and it won't even count towards the salary cap. Brilliant Smytheee...ahhh I've still got it.

Reply #119226 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754