Adelaide Navy Seals = Bull Matadors

http://www.nba.com/bulls/photogallery/scenes_0607.html

[IMG]http://www.nba.com/media/bulls/matadors2_070106.jpg[/IMG]

more

http://www.nba.com/bulls/photogallery/matadors_0607.html

Topic #10375 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit late to the party Jimmy! Many NBA teams have similar groups and the Seals were based on that exact concept (which has since been adjusted). This was mentioned way back when the idea was first floated.

Always worth looking to the NBA for ideas.

e.g., Mark Cuban was receiving complaints about music at the Mavs games so he tried one game without any music at all. Then not again based on what he noticed - saves the 36ers trying the same thing.

Reply #119142 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Oh ok.

I was looking around NBA.com and noticed a few fat dudes in bulls uniforms and I automatically though of the Navy Seals.

Reply #119143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you guys are bloody obsessed...

Reply #119145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rumour has it we wont be seeing he seals next year.

Reply #119146 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Really?? Where did you hear that? I heard the total opposite today.

Reply #119148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a big fan of the seals personally, would like to see the 36ers go down a different path for entertainment next season.

Reply #119169 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

Sorry I didn't realize they were the entertainment. At least the man with the annoying voice tries to get people involved. After one season all I can assume is that the navy seals get really good seats and give away a few freebies. If that's what the job description said well half your luck, but I would have expected a bit of crowd interaction, you know just some basic stuff like starting a mexican wave, and lots more.

Reply #119170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing to note about the NBA is that they don't generally play music as such - only when it is needed to prevent 'dead air'.

They play fan fair type stuff. Big Bass (BOOM BOOMS) that the crowd can play their chant to and the organ type (DA DA DAA - DA DA DAAAA!) More than mainstream music on every play.

During time-outs and unscheduled stopages they play a bit of music (you know - for the dancers, YES, for the dancers!!)... and during the end of a timeout or when ever the situation requires, they play music that may create a feeling and set a scene for the game (tension... motivation... etc etc)

I think at the 36ers game it is just a line up of mainstream hit after hit - why don't we just turn on SAFM or NOVA in the background and just leave it going all night.

Oh and the NBA court anouncers are really good at speaking only when they need to speak.. mainly just to anounce fouls, points and general stats (they do it with such good tones as well). When is it the last time you heard the 36er court announcer call out someone's stats (such as 'Maher for 3 - thats 3 from 5 at the arc')... in between all that whoo ha defence stuff that he yells out that no one responds to, he doesn't have the time. Partly the organisations fault, as I don't see the anouncer with a stats monitor at his announcing desk to help him.

Anyway, basketball is basketball... it will always need a bit of music during dead periods of a game, but it more so needs the tiggers to get the fans involved and to keep them informed and interested in the game in front of them.

Reply #119187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW - in the last sentence tiggers should be triggers.

Reply #119188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and the whole BOOM BOOM and DA DA DAA - DA DA DAA thing doesn't have the same effect when written!

Reply #119189 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I like your idea re calling out stats - would appreciate that for sure.

Reply #119203 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

i've been dieing to get my hands on a mic i'll call the stats if u like sort of play by play style

Reply #119237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need the same guy as doing the announcing to call stats, otherwise could sound very amateur.

Reply #119238 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Please don't do what some NRL clubs are doing over here and getting rid of the dancers.

Russell Crowe has axed the rabbitoh dancers because he feels they are too intimidating to the average NRL fan. WTF......

Never went to the NRL to watch the damn boring game and now I have even less reason to go.

Reply #119240 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I know a few posters on here have been to Dragons games in Melbourne.

I enjoy what they do with their 2, yes 2 announcers. Ok the girl has a somewhat squeky voice, but aside that the 2 of them work well together.

1 for calling the play ie "Heal for three, it's good" and the other for special comments - normally just after the 3, which can be some quite random stuff down to statistics.
ie "He's on fire or Hammer 3 from 5 from downtown"
or the old fav "It's Hammer Time".

The 2nd announcer being Glenn Manton who also does the roving/competitions/crowd involvement during breaks in the game.

Reply #119259 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

We (kind of) have two announcers here in Adelaide - The main guy (Neil) and roving comps guy (Bonz).

Reply #119378 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

That is true Kev, they just dont seem to feed of each other.

Reply #119414 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

True. Bonz has no game-time involvement and is only used for breaks in play.

I'd definitely like to see stats play a greater role - easily accessible, free addition to the presentation, etc.

Reply #119432 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

mayde instead of the seals and cheerleaders chucking out choccies we hand out the stats every quater, saves me acidently sconing someone in the head with a freddo

Reply #119510 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Not a big fan of the seals personally, would like to see the 36ers go down a different path for entertainment next season. "

Yeah....I reckon being a competitive team would be FAR more entertainment value.

Reply #119685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was a huge fan of the seals until about 3-4 games from the end of the season. They seemed to spit the dummy, or something and it looked like half of them didnt bother to turn up in the end.

I realise that they give their time for free, but with the great seats they get, I would have thought they would support their team untill the end.

Was it a case of jumping before being pushed?

They really needed to support the team through thick & thin like most of the paying season ticket holders.

Full marks to the seals that stuck it out and copped the flack for the full season.

Reply #119840 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:55 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754