Norwood 3 Top; 20 in finals
Southern 2 Top; 12 in finals
West 3 Top; 10 in finals
South 1 Top; 9 in finals
Woodville 0 Top; 5 in finals
Eastern 0 Top; 3 in finals
Centrals 0 Top; 1 in finals

Thoughts

The gap of the Top and the bottom seems to be widening.

Sturt have slipped in the girls. With North and Forestville doing well.

North have the best percentage of there teams in the finals.

Of 36 possible finals teams in U14/12/10 Girls finals. North, Sturt, Fortestville and Norwood hold 31 positions. Says the future shows a more widening gap.

Souths boys performing much better than there girls.

West have good results in div 1 for there boys but no as much in div 2 and below.

Topic #10387 | Report this topic

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Way to over exceed expectations Centrals, a major achievement getting 1 team into the finals; party central for Centrals down at Starplex this week.

Reply #119274 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

On a side note, the regular season system with uneven byes should really be reassessed. A team should not be penalised for having 2 byes instead of one.

Reply #119277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed

but it is not always a bad thing. If you avoid playing a top 2 team, as some clubs do then you actually get an easier run. Whereas somebody else might get a tougher draw and lose 2 extra games.

It should work out that if you beat somebody and you both beat and lose to the same teams you will finish above them.

Reply #119283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jimmy,
What club are you at? What team are you involved with and what is your role with that team?

Reply #119288 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

some one didn't have a date on the weekend.
it would be interesting to see how much it has changed from 2 years back to see who is improving and who is sliding
could the centrals girl team that is in the finals double as their abl team at least the team knows how to win

Reply #119290 | Report this post

Nose Nuggets  
Years ago

Panther at the end of the day does it matter? you still need 2 wins and if your good enough it won't make a lick of difference.

Reply #119291 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Of course it does! How about we run our national competition based on that theory? We'll put all top 8 teams in a hat and draw the finals rounds out that way, and while we're at it, whoever gets drawn out first gets home ground advantage!!!

Reply #119295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther,

Yours is one of the clubs that voted in this system. Other clubs have put in a proposal that would allow double div 1 and your club knocked it back.

If they had of voted to allow double div 1 you would not have had the bye and therefore been able to play for top spot.

South have only got themself to blame.

Reply #119296 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Well i'll have to take that one on the chin then! What do you mean double div one? As in the top two teams from division two offered spots in division one?

Reply #119299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it true Southern U16G put in a protest last night re having had 2 byes??

Reply #119300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As in if a club does not enter a team in div 1. ie eastern in U20's. Then the top div 2 team takes there place.

For summer season, a 50% finish on who won div 2 last year and 50% on who won U18 div 2 back 2 years ago weighting to decide.For winter you could hold a play of between the team that played div 1 in summer and the winner of div 2.

Or just wait until after summer and pick the winner of div 2.

Reply #119301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonomous,

If so, Southern are in the same boat as South. Voted to stop double div 1 and then complaining about the consequences. Just plain selfish.

Reply #119303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In most cases it would be the Sturt Div 2 team coming up - who would probably beat most Div 1 teams anyway - so you would be better off sticking with the system you voted for and taking the bye

Reply #119307 | Report this post

Nose Nuggets  
Years ago

Panther

The double bye would've worked out to favour if Forestville had lost against centrals as it goes on percentage of wins not points in that situation and south would have had a better percentage, but because Forestville won they had the better percentage of wins.

Reply #119312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #119307,

That is the exact thinking that has lead Basketball in SA to it's current State.

By not allowing double div 1. And yet giving guarenteed div 1 positions to all clubs. The competition has never been more lopsided.

So long as clubs rest on guarenteed div 1 positions they will have no incentive to improve their processes and develop as a club.

Take away guarenteed div 1 spots and all clubs would need to refocus their resources into juniors and basketball will be winner.

Reply #119344 | Report this post

Moi!  
Years ago

It will also mean that kids at the stronger clubs who get overlooked for Div 1 but may be just as good as the current div 1's because: - havent been playing since U10's and secured their position, or there simply is not enough room in the current Div 1 teams - get a chance to prove themselves as worthy as their Div 1 Club counterparts. Means that they get stronger competition and the competition gets stronger for everybody. More kids get to realise their full potential and get to play at that level. There would also perhaps be less movement between clubs with kids chasing that elusive Div 1 spot.

Reply #119391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TRUE,there are also those kids playing in DIV 1 due to parents demands etc etc and the kids in Div 2 who are busting there butts and are probably better than some of the DIV 1 players just don't even get a look at. You could say they are slipping through the system, so to speak!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #119401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#119401) Couldn't have put it better myself.

Reply #119411 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Anon 119303

Get your facts straight.

It would not have mattered if there were 2 teams from the same Club in Div 1 as that would have made 10 teams and there were 11 games therefore someone would still have had 2 byes.

The uneven number of byes is caused by the programming not the number of teams in each grade.

Reply #119531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith.

Are you serious?

If you have a 10 team competition, there are zero byes. Because everybody plays each week. There is a situation where some teams play each other twice. But still no byes.

Look at the U16 Boys comp. 10 teams no byes.

Reply #119548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith - you idiot!!!

Worst...post..........EVER!!

Reply #119553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's one for Dr Dunkenstein if he is still out there.

My understanding is the Eastern have lost there 14 and 16 Girls Div 1 teams.

My question is, do you still think that the current system is helping or hindering your clubs development?

Reply #119556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats Room - Across what grades are those totals tallied? With a total of 160 teams in finals, is it just div 1 and 2, or all age groups and all divisions?

Reply #119671 | Report this post

Across all age groups and divisions. But doesn't include non member clubs who's teams often are graded into divisions lower than they should be.

42 total grades

168 total teams in finals

Reply #119682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My understanding is the Eastern have lost there 14 and 16 Girls Div 1 teams."

Don't worry, they'll start on their annual recruiting drive soon - you know, the one where the country coaches tell the players playing div 2 at other clubs that they are hurting their chances of making state if they aren't playing div 1....

Reply #119698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from the stats room - i know this is more work for you, but could you tell us what the percentage of teams in finals would be, per club

ie.

Centrals may have 30 teams, 1 in finals, therefore 3%

West may have 50 teams, 10 in finals, therefore 20%

Sturt may have 100 teams, 33 in finals, therefore 33%

Reply #119712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't worry, they'll start on their annual recruiting drive soon - you know, the one where the country coaches tell the players playing div 2 at other clubs that they are hurting their chances of making state if they aren't playing div 1

What absolute rubbish.

U16 Girls SAC Head Coach - F/Ville
U16 Girls SAC Asst Coach - F/Ville
U16 Girls SAC Asst Coach - No District

and there is no U14 Girls state side.

Another post from an 'armchair' expert who has all the time in the world to bag everyone else, but no time to invest in the sport.

Reply #119726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not rubbish at all - maybe not in the U16 girls grade but has definitely happened before in the boys grades.

Reply #119731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So then it is rubbish.

My understanding is the Eastern have lost there 14 and 16 Girls Div 1 teams."

Don't worry, they'll start on their annual recruiting drive soon - you know, the one where the country coaches tell the players playing div 2 at other clubs that they are hurting their chances of making state if they aren't playing div 1....

That's what you said, specifically in regards to the 14 and 16 girls.

Reply #119735 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Maybe they come from Darwin where the people believe under 14's is making the state team.

Reply #119741 | Report this post

North 30 in finals out of 42 = 71%
Sturt 33 in finals out of 51 = 65%
Forestville 28 in finals out of 45 = 62%
Norwood 20 in finals out of 52 = 38%
West 3 10 in finals out of 38 = 26%Southern 12 in finals out of 47 = 25%
South 9 in finals out of 39 = 23%
Eastern 3 in finals out of 14 = 21%Woodville 5 in finals out of 30 = 17%
Centrals 1 in finals out of 16 = 6%

Reply #119780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks stats room - i think it's pretty safe to say that North is the powerhouse club, follwed by Sturt and F/ville, then Norwood. West, Southern, South, Eastern & W/ville are all within 10% then Centrals.

Great job North, this shows you are the best at developing your talent across the board!

Reply #119788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Great job North, this shows you are the best at developing your talent across the board! "

Umm.. we can draw so many conclusions out of stats. I would suggest a better way to test this statement would be to look at performances of teams of the same DOB as the move up from U12s to U20s. Whilst North have had good development in yrs gone by they are slipping in this area. The longer you stay with a club you should get better, not worse!

Reply #119795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually, it was aimed specifically at Eastern, not at one age group at Eastern.

And whilst you've sprung to the defence of the U14 and U16 girls (twice), I note you haven't denied it happens with the boys.....

But hey, continue to nitpick at minor points whilst trying to deflect from the bigger picture.

Reply #119798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#119795) - the stats here show that North has a greater percentage of teams in finals than any other club. That means they don't just focus their coaching on the div 1's and use other div for revenue.

Reply #119806 | Report this post

anon #119795,

I would say that North have done a pretty good of developing their players over the years.

They have had a number of AIS players and both of their senior teams are made up of juniors.

But I feel that looking at Div 1 teams in finals is another stat that is important especially for the 12 - 18 age groups.

Sturt 8 out of 8
North 5 out of 8
West 4 out of 8
Forestville 4 out of 8
Norwood 3 out of 8
South 3 out of 8
Southern 2 out of 8
Eastern 2 out of 8
Centrals 1 out of 8

This shows that Sturt is more consistant than North, ut also that West does well in div 1 and that Norwood is a little down for div 1.

I think North are also currently lacking in their lower level Boys. From memory their U14/12/10 Boys were no where near the level of the rest of the club. How they devlop this will be improtant to their continued high position.

Some other interesting stats:

1/ Both Centrals and Eastern have decreased their nominations for winter by 1 team. Centrals 15 teams andEastern 13 teams. Dangerous times.

2/ Forestville have increase in teams from summer. 3 U10 Girls terams but only 1 boys?

3/ North, Norwood adn Sturt seem consistant.

4/ Southern have nominated only 41 teams compared to 48 at the start of summer. Drop of epecailly in U12's (3 teams down) and UU14's (2 teams down). Considering there was probably 60 teams at Noarlunga and Southern Suns befgore the merger this is probably a bit disappointing.

5/ Woodville have picked up a couple of teams and West have dropped one.

Reply #119811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think North have a good batch of kids coming through if you want to look at U10 Div 1&2 summer results.

Reply #119820 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Norwood have big problems ahead,hardly any teams from 12 - 16 on the girls side making the top 4.

To many teams,not enough quality coaches.

Solution cut probably 7 teams overall,be more selective in type of kids they want.

And become better in training as the North program is probably the best going around.

Reply #119832 | Report this post

Axeman  
Years ago

Top effort from FROM THE STATS ROOM. Great stats, hats off to you.

Reply #119837 | Report this post

Inteerested  
Years ago

Great effort "from the stats room"

would be keen to see percentages if only done from U12-U18.

Think there might be some falling in the lower end of your table by some clubs especially the southern clubs.

Reply #120265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt and Norwood decimated Mavericks and lets be clear about that. Being a top 4 club means more clout and less criticism but it needs to be said that these larger clubs will end up playing themselves as they pinpoint better players from weaker clubs and offer them the world. Souths, mavericks,centrals, woodville, wests to a lesser extent play no significant part in district other than to offer up sacraficial offerings to the better clubs.
These top clubs continue to say they don't poach or actively recruit from other clubs and have louder voices so nothing ever happens.
Is it valuable for clubs to have multiple div 2 teams and 3 teams that would play higher at other clubs? Loud voices say they are developed at the super clubs and train with better players but this argument is hollow.
Unless zoning occurs clubs will disappear altogether and sturt, norwood north and forestville will play each other-opps thats what they're doing now isnt it.
Wise up and spread the talent and kill the chestnut that only super clubs have super coaches. If you have the cattle you can take tham to market and more often than not,players make coaches.
Whilst not every player who moves to another club is induced it needs to be looked at when kids move from weaker clubs to stellar clubs and hear the 'promises' made in some cases.
If the tables above dont tell you we need zoning, nothing will.

Reply #121113 | Report this post

Scott Butler  
Years ago

#121113 (and #121114 as you are clearly the same person!),

This forum is nothing if predictable. Within hours of Sturt success this kind of post comes up.

I've been around this forum long enough to know that it is pointless discussing the following topics rationally: uneven competition, pro/rel, perceived poaching, zoning or Sturt success. I do not post on these issues anymore out of self preservation.

Actions speak louder than words.

Instead of debating the above points, I offer this (as I have in the past!) to you (#121113) and anyone else who believes you, or for that matter anyone else who is interested.

Please call me (if you try really hard you can find my number!) and arrange to follow me for the next week to see how hard our players and coaches are working. You will need to commit to every session, (early mornings and late nights are included), so that you can experience it.

Hopefully you will see just how hard we (and the other so-called super clubs for that matter, because we do not have a monopoly on hard work!) are working and you may gain a greater appreciation of the effort put in by the successful compared to the not.

My guess is that, as in the past, I will get zero response and you will keep sniping at us from the hills.

Reply #121118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #121113,

I think that you will find that only a couple of Mavs players moved to Sturt or Norwood. A majority have moved to Southern. This is becasue of poor managment and development by Eastern, nothing else. So you can put your head in the sand, or champion your Mens ABA victory, becasue they both are leading to your clubs demise.

If it were that easy, then why does your club not do the same thing?

Why is it that Forestville, who have 2 State Country coaches, and numerous State country players does not have the same level of success? Nor North and there past success with players choosing to move from Centrals or from the country to play for them.

And how much money does your club spend on junior development in relation to senior teams?

Would love to see somebody take Butler up on his offer.

Reply #121123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I keep reading about how the Big 4 clubs poach players from other clubs - I think the real issue here is that they are not being poached they are moving to the Big 4 clubs because their parents want them there - plain and simple - for the so-called "better coaching/training" Problem is though that these parents that come from other so-called "weaker clubs' expect that their kids make Div 1 at these Clubs when they have only been playing Div 2 at the other Clubs. They push and push for it and kids that have been at these Clubs for years and have parents aren't as vocal/pushy get left behind - so to all the parents that bring their children to the Big 4 - perhaps you should stay where you are - because the grass isn't always greener

Reply #121127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay, so why would a top club take kids from a struggling club especially if they are into bragging about the importance of player development within their club?
How does it help the comp to allow such moves?
I keep hearing about player development being the catch cry of of the big four yet we see a continuing renewal of players in these clubs which reflects the real goal, which is junior premierships.
Some parents in these top clubs will tell you how their kids have been moved sideways to accommodate the new stars.

Reply #121189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The point I was making - is that it really has nothing to do with the Clubs - if a parent rings your Club and says "we are not happy at such and such a club" and we want to come to your club because of better coaching/training,grievance at old Club, etc, etc, apart from getting a clearance there is nothing stopping these kids from coming.

It is their choice - Then yes there are the issues of existing kids being moved sideways for the others coming in and new parents expecting their kids to be in higher divisions in place of kids already within the Club that could have been developed - and I agree with you this does not help the comp but this is an issue that BSA need to look at and implement some changes perhaps - you cannot stop kids joining other Clubs - it is a cold hard fact - and quite frankly it is not about junior premierships - it is about the clubs providing a community service to kids that want to play basketball at their particular Club. And until getting a clearance is made harder to obtain - this will always happen - and you end up with an unhappy club that they left, unhapppy parents at the new club that feel their kids are being overlooked.

I dont know what the answer is but I dont know that you can take choice away from families as to which club they want to play at.

Reply #121193 | Report this post

Semi Finals results time.

Number of team in Grand Finals

Boys

Sturt 13
South 5
Forestville 4 + 1
Norwood 4 + 1
North 3 + 2
West 3
Eastern 1
Southern 1
Woodville 0
Centrals 0

Girls

Sturt 8
North 8
Forestville 7
Nortwood 5
West 2 + 1
Eastern 1
Southern 1
Woodville 0
Centrals 0

Overall

Sturt 21
North 11 + 2
Forestville 11 + 1
Norwood 9 + 1
West 5 + 1
South 5
Eastern 2
Southern 2
Woodville 0
Centrals 0

The + are games to be played due to the blackout.

Sturt had a very good semi final round, but both North and Forestville are very competitive on the girls side.

The big 4 are 52 against 14 for the other clubs.

Non member clubs made 13 finals + 1.

South boys did very well. While West made 2 Grand Finals in Div 1 boys.

Forestville made 3 girls grand finals while North made 2.

Reply #121199 | Report this post

Grand Finals results are now available as all finals have been played.

If people want more detail then just ask.

Sturt 13 grand final wins
North 6 grand final wins
West 4 grand final wins
Forestville 4 grand final wins
Norwood 4 grand final wins
South 2 grand final wins
Others 8 grand final wins

Div 1's

Sturt 5 grand final wins
West 3 grand final wins
Norwood 1 grand final wins
Forestville 2 grand final wins
North 1 grand final wins

The big 4 won 27 out of 41 grades.

Non-member clubs won big in the div 3 and 4 grades.

West and South only non big 4 clubs to win a premiership.

Looks like Sturt had a good finals day.

Reply #127581 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:05 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754