Anonymous
Years ago

Stacker to Coach the Gong

With the poor decision to keep Smyth here in Adelaide it seems that other coaching positions are slowly filling up. Word is that Stacker will be the new coach in Woolongong. this seems like a good fit and the other part of the story is that Abney and Groves are best mates and want to play together next year. Abney has been out spoken as a fan of Stacker so could be following his old coach there and joining his mate.
If Newley was to follow would be a strong line up plus Sav, Campbell etc

Topic #10389 | Report this topic

The Journo  
Years ago

Gee, what a coup if all of that comes off anon.

Groves
Newley
Saville
Abney
Rampton

Pretty tough starting group there...

Reply #119309 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Why is it a 'poor decision'?????

Reply #119314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Phil had led the team to 0 wins this year I would still rather have him here than Stacker

Reply #119318 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I agree #119318

Reply #119320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dana do you just sift through all the posts looking for ones relating to Phil and agree or disagree depending on whether it is a pro or con Phil comment.

Given the recent thread about gags it seems an approporiate time for a:

"Thanks for that Phil"

Reply #119324 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

At least I don't hide behind 'anonymous'

Reply #119330 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

If its true you can bet that he will have an absolute belter of a team. If what #10389 says about Abney then Ballinger is up for grabs?

Go for it Phil.

Reply #119332 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I'd just like to clarify a possible misconception:
I don't blindly support Phil as it may seem to some.
He annoys me sometimes with his complaining about the referees...I used to think it was great that he was so calm & sat on the bench...I understand that being frustrated can cause that. I hate it when he gets tech fouls. (Although he may be justified in complaining..but shouldn't).
I could list a heap of stuff that bugs me, but you know what?
He's the coach, I'm NOT!
He's the one who represented Australia and is very well respected in professional basketball circles.
He's the one who has Mal's trust.
I support the team & the coach.
I believe he's done as well as anyone else could have done this season given the uncertainty at the start, and I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt & at least see if he can turn things around next season. (given that the club is better off now than at the start of this past season.)
I still think he's better than Stacker/Goorjian/Joyce put together.

Reply #119333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball Australia disagree on that last item Dana!!

Reply #119337 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Yea well...I'm not Basketball Australia either...just a 36ers fan.

Reply #119340 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

There's a few to disagree with, actually......

"well respected in basketball circles"

"Done as well as anyone could have this season"

"better than Stacker/Goorjian/Joyce put together"

There's another glaringly wrong one, but I'm not about to get myself in a HEAP of trouble.

Reply #119343 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

My opinion is my opinion so how can it be wrong if it's my opinion?

Reply #119345 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

No Problems with you disagreeing Dicko.
We all have our opinions.

Reply #119348 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

By the way, I base the 'well respected in basketball circles' comment on many articles I've seen over the years as well as recent interviews shown on Foxtel with people who know Phil well.
If you did a search on some of his achievements, you would also find that he is still very well respected in basketball circles.
I guess Hoops SA forum is a basketball circle too, but not necessarily one that I was referring to.

Reply #119353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dicko,

Why would the Australian Institute of Sport ask him to talk to the AIS kids about what it takes to become a professional basketball player if he wasn't well respected in basketball circles?

Isn't it simply, why would they waste there time and have him talk to them if his development reputation was as bad as some make out, if he actually didn't have a understanding of how to develop a player why would they ask him to instruct this years intake?

Surly he knows a little bit about developing basketball talent into senior players as he worked with Luc Longley, Mark Bradtke and Andrew Vlahov when they were at the AIS.

Some of you anti Phil Smyth posters or more to the point pro Newley and Ingles supporters should just lose the chip of the shoulder and build a bridge that he didn't recruit them. At the time his recruiting philosophy didn't include 2 young South Australian player and you hate that.

But unlike you who has a plethora of basketball talent, knowledge and respect with an extremely untarnished reputation he isn't respected in the basketball community.

You are just an 'internet warrior'.

Reply #119357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who thinks Phil is well respected in professional basketball circles clearly hasn't spent much time listening to people in professional basketball circles.

Reply #119360 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Is that you Brian Goorjian.

Reply #119363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did u get the rumours that Stacker is going to get the wollongong job? So far the Hawks have no idea who is going to be coaching. I guarantee you this. Also the Hawks are looking to pay only $70 000 to the head coach. Do you think Stacker will accept this offer considering Brendan was on 160 000 + I don;t think he will.

Reply #119369 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

"anyone who thinks Phil is well respected in basketball circles hasnt been listening...

So why is it year after year, in the players poll, Smyth is the coach who coems up #1 as the coach most players want to play under?

I guess the majority of players dont fall into the "professional basketball circle"???

Reply #119376 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

What a load of rubbish this topic is. Hawks have opened applications: http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=4690

Anyway the talk is that no one wants the hawks job since the Joyce fiasco.

Annom I have heard the talk that club only wants to pay 70,000.00.

There is no way in the world that they will have that line up. Absolute rubbish!

Talk also is that Ballinger is looking to naturlise if this is the case we should snap him up!

In reference to Phil, the basketball community look at him to be a lazy coach who is not willing to put in the work, hence he is rated poorly compared to goorj, joyce etc

Reply #119377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil comes up number 1 every year because every player knows it is an easy gig and they don't have to train hard.
Also, until the last couple of years the 36ers have had a reputation as paying very well.
Jesus Yogee, you always piss and moan about the same things being repeated over and over regarding the Coach. You do the same bloody thing!
Get your head out of the sand and if your really interested in making an INFORMED opinion, speak to other players around the league and get a true and balanced opinion rather than your completely blinkered one.

Reply #119379 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

TOTALLY AGREE 100% WITH (#119379) . Players vote him due to the lack of work they have to do.

Reply #119381 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

(#119379) your assertion "every player knows it is an easy gig and they don't have to train hard" is an ABSOLUTE slap in the face to the players.

And you have the hide to bag the coach and the players so I guess you must be making an INFORMED decission based on reading tea leaves.

Reply #119383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wasn't bagging the players TK.
Who wouldn't want to play in a relaxed environment for the last few years in the league?
Hell, it would probably prolong their career!
Believe me, my opinion (or decission as you call it) is based on a heck of a lot more than tea leaves.

Reply #119385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So why is it year after year, in the players poll, Smyth is the coach who coems up #1 as the coach most players want to play under?"

Because Mark Nash fills out 3000 surveys !

Reply #119400 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

"Why would the Australian Institute of Sport ask him to talk to the AIS kids about what it takes to become a professional basketball player"

Surely this stems from Phil's days as a player and I'm sure he has plenty of knowledge to share to young aspiring players.

However if I was a young up and coming coach I'd rather here from a Lindsay Gaze or Brian Goorj first.

Reply #119413 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Dana, opinions are capable of being wrong. There are those of the opinion that the holocaust didn't occur and that George Bush is a great leader.

Phil has been terrible this year, and there is no need to re-hash the thousands of posts illustrating this. I assume the "poor decision" comment is in refernece to those posts, and to the school of thought that says we need a fresh coach/team/approach to get out of the club's 5 season slump.

This season was the worst in a long time, but I believe was as a result of a failure to adjust game plan, poor recruiting of local AND interstate talent (over the last few seasons) combined with terrible preparation and game-day tactics and to some extent, injuries.

I would not have re-signed Phil. Dana, why not offer some insight into why you think Phil deserved to be re-signed? Insights that go beyond "he played for Australia" , "he's the coach" , "he's well respected" etc etc.

Look at performances on the track post 2002. It's great that you support coach and club, but saying so on a forum adds nothing to a discussion. Save that for gamenight! I believe supporters like you are integral to a club's success. They are one of those intangible factors that sees teams over the line on occasion.

Add to the discussion by backing your pro-Phil stance with fact. The "it's my opinion so how can it be wrong?" doesn't cut it either - that can be said about anything.

Reply #119447 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

That survey is garbage as an argument.

If you wanted an ACCURATE assessment for your argument, you would need to find out how many players THAT HAVE ACTUALLY PLAYED FOR PHIL IN THE PAST, would chose him as their #1 preference for coach.

You are talking about players perception of the coach, and by they way, I reckon you'll see that drop off if Phil is coaching next year too.

He is certainly losing a lot of momentum and favourite status.

The AIS business? Who knows? Maybe he was the only one they could get. Your assumption that he was asked beacuse he's the best person for the gig is just as silly.

For the record, I am NOT anti-Smyth, I don't even barrack for the 6ers, I just find this a good forum. And I am TOTALLY over the fact that you guys didn't get Ingles because I happen to support the Dragons and am very happy with th ecurrent arrangment....Thanks

Reply #119458 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm all over the Ballinger bandwagon, if he's available then we need to snap him up quick smart.

Reply #119462 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

TR - agreed. I see him as Dusty but with a bit more height and a better 3 point shot. Would be a great addition especially if he is considering naturalising.

Reply #119475 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

OK thedoctor.
I'm happy to alter my opinion at the end of the next season after the Club has not had to recruit with one hand tied behind its back.
I'm more than happy to give Phil to the end of his contract to demonstrate his 'coaching skills' without being hamstrung by the things that happened this past season.
I'm sure many are sick of the 'excuses' but hearing Phil tell the number of games missed due to injury for 36ers players this season was substantially more than the next 'worst team' for games missed due to injury.
ie. the Kings (and sure boy Goorj has also 'excused' his team for their poor performance this season due to injuries)
I'm sorry I can't quote the figure...don't remember it.

Reply #119477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Dana, Goorj does repeatedly take responsibility for his errors and not roll out tripe to cover his inadequacies. He took full blame for a Boomers loss in the WCs when he should of called a timeout and generally coached poorly. Said so publicly, and didn't use the Smyth injury copout, the "but we showed heart and desire" copout or the laughable "We'll be better in 4-6 weeks" copout.
He also pulled out an absolute classic line after West Sydney pumped the Kings by 30ish the other week, when a reporter commented that he might be one of the best coaches in Australian sports and he replied with something like:
"Well, you're only as good as your last game, so at the moment I'm a bum".

Reply #119480 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I'm willing to review at the next season's end.

Reply #119484 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I'm not asking you to alter your opinion - just for a few facts to back it up. There's no need to wait until next season's end to justify a current opinion. My question is this - what has Phil done in 4 seasons to allow him the virtue of one more?

Reply #119489 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Why am I having to justify my opinion when I still haven't gotten an answer to my first question in this topic?

Reply #119504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

impacts recruitment, restricts development, alienates a portion of fans.

Reply #119509 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

That's not facts! That's your opinion.

Reply #119515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

facts dana.

Reply #119518 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Phil is with doubt on paper a great player and coach of the NBL. Simple as that people. However one important stat we havent not analysised is name some junior talent that he has developed into a a great playe in the NBL? Please advise as i am still trying to establish some one.

Goorj - smith, barlow, mckinnon, drimic etc
Joyce, Anderson(europe, rookie of the year) Dench ( rookie of the year) Saville and Campbell.

Smythe - please can you advise me?

If he was such a great coach why does he never develope quality juniors into great players? why does he always hire old players who do not want to put the work in and that he doesnt have to put the work in!

Reply #119519 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Dana, there have been countless threads dedicated to why certain posters want to see Phil gone. Why not refer to them - what I haven't seen is any argument beyond referral to past glories as to why Phil should be here next season.

Dana, you said your not a blind Phil supporter - well Bling Freddy can see that his recent recruitment/retainment of players has been a joke, development of young players is not a priority (see last year's roster) and MANY fans have been alientated by these factors and by his coaching style this year including time out use, court time allocation, lack of preparation etc etc.

The answer to your question has been answered time and time again. You don't have to justify your opinion, it just seems a normal thing to do on a discussion forum - kind of defeats the purpose if you don't. My guess is you are having trouble justifying, so choose not to. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply #119524 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would guess that his philosophy is to put the players out there and let them play. Developed/veteran players are more suited to that approach.

I think that there are advantages and disadvantages to his style.

I think that one of his methods that I am a fan of are his timeouts. Not the veiled criticism of refs because the Fox cameras are on him timeouts (those suck), but the style of standing out on court to prepare and then entering the huddle.

I say this as a non-player, but have always assumed that the gap gives the players a second to get their breath, for a veteran like Maher or Copeland to have a quick word if needed, and then allows Smyth to deliver a prepared plan.

(I think Lemanis delivers a pretty decent timeout too.)

Watch a Goorjian timeout, though, and he's all over the place. He does a lot of things very well, but I think that his timeouts could be confusing. If he gives five rambling instructions instead of one clear one, you could have five players going out onto the court with varying ideas of what they should be doing.

Reply #119525 | Report this post

Vader  
Years ago

Issac,

People who have been involved in a Goorj training session know exactly what he is saying.

He is speaking in terms that are how he coaches. ie 'plugger hold' 'downs into turnouts, look at the curl' etc.

Most people wouldn't understand, but he has a very quick method of telling guys what he wants. The more you are around him the easier it is to understand. I like the fact that when he asks for something I see it happen on the court.

Reply #119532 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might be more challenging when players have not played under him for as long - e.g., All Star Game, Boomers, etc.

Reply #119535 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Gotta disagree with you there Isaac. Smythe talks in what I call 'coaches speak'. Vague generalisations like 'we need to lift the intensity'(insert grin here) or 'we need a better effort on the boards'(insert grin here). Now when you talk generally to the group, a lot of players think the coach isn't talking to them, it's somebody else who needs to pick that up. Goorj gives specifics.If player X is doing a shitty job of boarding he'll tell him right then and there.There is no grey area about who is or isn't getting it done. Specific instructions about what he wants done and by whom. Makes maximum use of his time rather than standing mid-court and wasting half of it.

Reply #119536 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Well my question about his timeouts is...

When does he call them????

Reply #119546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DB5,

He has to coach time outs when the other team calls them. He just hasn't worked out the other coach doesn't call them when he really needs them for some reason.

Reply #119549 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

That little grin Phil does during timeouts gives me the creeps!

Reply #119554 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Cheers anon, clears up a lot for me!

Reply #119558 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Izzy, I'll give you that, but still, I think Goorj would benefit from that quick preparation as some of his instructions can be all over the place.

Goorj style: rambles on for 90% of it setting up a crucial offense and then asks at the end "So, who has the ball?"

Reply #119561 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

"well Bling Freddy can see that his recent recruitment/retainment of players has been a joke, development of young players is not a priority (see last year's roster)"
I refer you to many posts about the state of the 36ers as a club and their ability to recruit at the start of the season...
If you have forgotten, give Paul Bauer or Mal Hemmerling a call tyo refresh your memory!!
FACTS!!!

Reply #119567 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Dana, most of those posts were made by you. Isaac has in the past stated that Oscar would have signed well before his contract was up if another one was offered to him and that Ingles was offered below rookie minimum and a spot in the 13 - these facts have nothing to do with the state of the club.

The club was never in danger anyway - there were several genuine bidders even before the club was officially "on the market".

We all know what little opportunities Brad Hill has been given, and the fact that Phil signed guys like Copeland effectively reducing the available court time for Hill.

Reply #119582 | Report this post

Skudpud  
Years ago

People dont want to listen to the fact that we had a horible start to the season way before the first game Dana, they just like to whinge and wine about how Phils such a bad coach, ofcourse I dont see any of them even having a chance at obtaining a high level coaching position, so it kinda shows they dont know wtf they are talking about I guess.

Reply #119583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This sounds like an old episode of a great series where another "Dana" constantly tries to use facts and science to justify her partner's somewhat strange theories.

Dana, I want to believe....

Reply #119587 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

This is going to end in tears, get out the tissues

Reply #119588 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

anyway back on the topic of Stacker to the cashless hawks!

If he goes there it will be minimal salary (ie under 80 K) I just cant see stacker doing that.

Reply #119593 | Report this post

Kenny Smyth  
Years ago

Don't worry Sween they will all gel together in 4 - 6 weeks.

Reply #119594 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

dana, i admire your loyalty and passion. I do want Phil out however i think the club should stand by the contract offered to him. Next season is crunch time, hopefully the US refresher course assists him, especially his skills of investing and developing youth.

Reply #119595 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

Dana , quick question .
If your opinions can not be wrong because they are just your opinion and others opinions can not proved to be right as they are merely others opinions then do we live in a constant state of opinionated confusion ?

People with blind and unwavering faith will have their cheers drowned out by the wave of reality .

Reply #119608 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

"then do we live in a constant state of opinionated confusion ?"
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #119625 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

"Dana do you just sift through all the posts looking for ones relating to Phil and agree or disagree depending on whether it is a pro or con Phil comment."
SUBSTITUTE AS FOLLOWS:

THEDOCTOR do you just sift through all the posts looking for ones POSTED BY DANA and PROCEED LIKE A BULL TO A RED RAG depending on whether it is a pro or con Phil comment.?

Reply #119627 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

What IS YOUR Problem thedoctor?
(What kind of name is that anyway?)

Reply #119628 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

..maybe you missed the Advanced Medical Institute phone number on the ads??

Reply #119630 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Maybe foxsports should have run "catfight night" instead of "big basketball wednesday". The forum has been on fire tonight!

Reply #119632 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I don't mind it. I think it's really funny how there are so many experts on here.
Catfights, wankers, this place has it all.
LOL

Reply #119635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dana - read my posts. I didn't make the comment about sifting through posts and looking for Phil-related comments. All I asked for was a few facts to back up an opinion - I'm still waiting and I'm not holding my breath. I still think you are a great supporter, but I really don't understand why you would bother visiting a forum, the point of which is to discuss and argue points of view.

As for the name, ask Shane Crothers.

I was wondering when you would resort to the (boring) insults. That's what people tend to do when their argument is flawed or non-existent. I don't have a problem with you, and I'm not sure why you seem to have one with me. If you re-read my posts there is nothing personal in them at all.

"THEDOCTOR do you just sift through all the posts looking for ones POSTED BY DANA and PROCEED LIKE A BULL TO A RED RAG depending on whether it is a pro or con Phil comment.?"

You know the above comment is ridiculous - you have never made a comment that wasn't pro-Phil. No need to sift through anything.

Reply #120377 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Above post was from me.

Reply #120382 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:32 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754